Do you drink faucet water or bottled water šŸ’§

Today I woke up & decided I wanted to watch YouTube videos about the history of running water in nyc to drinking water, & how it compares to running water & bottled water (yeah, today was one of those days lol) ā€¦ Iā€™ve learned a lot these last 3 hours or so & realized that bottled water is more marketing than anything else, especially in nyc & many parts in Canada ā€¦ for some reason Iā€™m still hesitant about drinking running water, but everything I saw & read points to the fact that I shouldnā€™t have any concerns drinking from the faucet / & that Iā€™m literally paying incredible amounts of margins for bottled water / & that the impact of plastic to our planet is being impacted greatly, regardless if I recycle or not ā€¦ & that got me curious, do you guys drink bottled water or running water from public sources like faucet / local springs / wells ect?

1. What is your main source or preferred source of drinking water?43 votes
    1. bottled water (Poland spring / Deer park / Dasani ect)
      20.93%
    2. Running water (faucet / local wells / springs / ect
      62.79%
    3. Mountain Dew (not a fan of drinking water) processed beverages like soda / packaged juice / beer/ect
        2.33%
    4. Other
      13.95%

Comments

• Bottle of water

• So I have tried several different filters. Brita doesnā€™t really work that well and doesnā€™t filter out fluoride, I find that the filters themselves get those pink slime/mildew and Iā€™ll end up getting sick before I realized the slime is there. My last filter outright just broke on me and the water would bypass the filter too quickly. One day when I buy a house I will whole home water filtration system as a renter who moves every couple years it just doesnā€™t make sense to invest in a quality system. I have a PPI tester and there are definitely more particles in the tapwater than the bottled stuff. While it is more expensive than tap itā€™s not a huge dent in my overall budget to buy bottled water. I just buy cheap cases at target. I donā€™t like how it impacts the planet but I guess itā€™s better than getting cancer because of bio hazards that leaked into the water system. I personally know someone who got cancer due to water contamination.

• [Deleted User]Zundar (deleted user)
    edited December 2021

From what I hear bottled water in the US is especially bad in terms of what they take out of it/add to it compared to a lot of other places. The marketing/wording they use for things like spring water or mineral/reinforced water is also highly deceptive.

An example would be Dasani (which is technically made by Coca-Cola and somewhat markets itself as healthy) that contains illegal levels of bromate for the UK. There was a whole scandal with them and some of their practices over here a few years back.

• @xandriarain Iā€™m glad your brought up home filters, I myself grew up on faucet filters & personally do not like ā€˜em for reasons you mention & because the cost of changing the filters would have just been better off getting bottled water (except for the convenience)ā€¦, Iā€™m used to buying the 40 pack case at Costco, & I tried finding some unbiased videos of the water bottling process, but all I could find was videos by Poland spring themselves šŸ˜‚ ā€¦ overall Iā€™m glad & feel fortunate that we access to fresh water as a country & really happy for the system here in the city.

• @Zundar yea one of the main things I learned is how deceptive the marketing for bottled water is, but I didnā€™t know or think (or found) that the water is particularly badā€¦, for some reason I still trust it more than public sources but my research showed me otherwise , I would say this much, the water from the faucet does taste fresh in nyc , I have family in both Jersey & Florida & even with faucet filters the water taste really off ā€¦ the jersey water taste highly chlorinated & the Florida water taste like it comes directly from a swamp with alligators šŸŠ swimming in it lol šŸ˜‚ (Iā€™m not making this up I promise, even when youā€™re showering it smells like swamp water)

• I avoid bottled water as much as what I consider reasonably possible. I get one maybe once every 10 years.

• Thatā€™s really cool @JasonCuddles ā€¦ I try my best to get the most use of a water bottle in a day (this may seem still like a lot, but I know that a case will last me more than a month, At my job they have really great water filtration system so Iā€™ll just fill up throughout my work day) ā€¦ Im environmentally conscious, & I could do wayyy more admittedly, but I know that strong impact comes from industry wide practices & legislation ā€¦

• edited December 2021

Iā€™ve traveled in 15 countries outside of the U.S. including places like India, Nicaragua, Mexico, El Salvador, etc. Iā€™m really grateful to have tap water that doesnā€™t give me giardia or amoebic dysentery.

I think the bottled water industry has been one of the greatest marketing campaigns of all times. Not only have they convinced North Americans, who have perfectly safe drinking water with a few exceptions - that they should pay significant amounts of money for something they get for pennies from their taps, but they have also convinced North Americans that they are chronically dehydrated.

Think of this:
    1) All the water bottles that have to be manufactured and the resources that uses and the pollution that results in that process.
    2) All those water bottles being shipped to the water plants and the resources that uses and the extra trucks on the highway.
    3) All the energy used at the bottled water plant and the pollution generated.
    4) All the energy used and the pollution generated in hauling those heavy bottles of water to distribution facilities, to the stores, and then from the stores to our homes.
    5) All the plastic waste generated when these bottles are discarded. Most are not recycled.
    6) All the energy used to transport the discarded bottles to landfills and/or recycling centers.
    7) All the energy used and pollution produced at recycling plants IF the bottles are recycled.
    8) Americans throw away 60 million water bottles every day.
    9) It takes 2,000 times the energy to produce a bottle of water than it does to produce the same amount of tap water.

For what? To have drinking water thatā€™s no better than what comes out of our taps? Seriously? Thereā€™s more. Keep reading:

https://healthyhumanlife.com/blogs/news/plastic-water-bottle-pollution-plastic-bottles-end

• Itā€™s been known for a long time that home water filters can harbor bacterial growth. That filtered water at home may be worse than the tap water itā€™s supposedly filtering.

https://www.michiganradio.org/environment-science/2017-08-01/study-bacteria-can-grow-in-faucet-water-filters

• edited December 2021

Personally, I donā€™t trust my tap and I hate buying bottled water, so I get five gallon jugs from my local Kroger. Theyā€™re refillable.

• I make my own Distilled Water. Itā€™s pure H2O with no minerals or other additives from chemicals in what I drink. The calcium in water is what causes Arthritis, itā€™s the same calcium that is found in and around you joints.

• Calcium is necessary for healthy teeth and bones. Water is only one source of calcium. You get it in your food, most notably from dark, leafy greens and dairy products but from other sources, too.

Arthritis is an inflammatory condition. The calcium deposits around joints are a result of inflammation, not the cause of it.

• I have a well with a water softener built in. I also filter it. Best water ever.

• @cuddles_ndream Iā€™m very thankful. I would share with anyone that needed good water. I take it to work with me too. I try to never to drink bottled water.

• The best drinks of water Iā€™ve ever had have been cold water from a hose on a hot summer day.

• I get my water from water vending machines. It's supposed to be well-filtered and it tastes much better than our tap water.

• Whenever I've been in the States I've always drunk the tap water, sorry faucet, as a starting point. However in some places it really isn't nice, even though its perfectly safe, so I have resorted to bottled.

A tip I have now learned is to fill a jug with tap water and put it in the fridge for half an hour. Many of the dissolved gasses evaporate and it tastes much better.

• While I appreciate the concern for the environment my own health is a bigger concern. There is a town not too far for me where there was fire fighting foam that contaminated the local water system for many years and the water is still contaminated by it because these chemicals donā€™t come out so easily. Has anyone heard of Flint Michigan or Erin Brockovich? Thereā€™s plenty of places in the United States that donā€™t have clean drinking water and since I donā€™t work at the water department in my local town I canā€™t always stay on top of everything going on. When hurricane Ida came through there was actually a water boil advisory. Eventually I want a really high grade system maybe even collecting rainwater and filtering that rather than getting water from the grid.

• @xandriarain šŸ‘Œ %100 I'm with u , healthy it's more important then even money. Yemen the most country with kindy problems because there's no clean water %90 of people drink tap and it's not clean

• @CuddleDuncan i suggest it's good to get a filter jug , tap water some is safe but not certain

• @Ahmedali999 I used a filter jug at my old house, because that was water from the Thames. In my current house the water comes from the Lea, and it's much nicer. I did use the jug for a little while here but gave up because it wasn't worth the faff.