What do you do if your partner discusses politics?

Personally, I agree with whatever the girl says. Even if I am completely against her political positions, she has paid me to be there to support her, and in my mind that means in every aspect of conversation too. What do you do?

Comments

• [Deleted User]Zundar (deleted user)

It depends.

If I agree with what they say then I'm a lot more likely to continue the conversation because that'd be unlikely to end up causing issues and because conversation is conversation, if I don't then I'd rather not risk getting into a debate as those can get heated and personal easily when it comes to politics especially so I'd most likely just say I'd rather not discuss things like that and end it there.

If the latter is the case, and they continue, then I'd either leave or ask them to leave. The same applies regardless of whether it's politics or any other topic that I've expressed I'd rather not discuss and I'd expect the same from them if I did that to them.

• Yes, "political discussion" and "relaxing" are generally not things that go together.

• Do you mean romantic partner or cuddling partner? but I’m either case I personally wouldn’t mind , I think it’ll be interesting lol

• edited December 2021

In all serious though I’m a bit of a nihilist and I enjoy a good debate. I can argue my point for hours without getting too worked up but I can’t guarantee the other person won’t go crazy. I don’t get offended if someone has differing views and I’m happy to have a respectful discussion but I know not everyone can handle that.

• @xandriarain 💯! some people (by some I mean most) can’t handle a difference in opinion or views than theirs when it comes to politics.

• If someone wants to talk their head off about their position on ocassion, I may just in the politest way possible be like "okay, cool story bro." So long as they aren't trying to be uncivil about it we may get along. If they are being uncivil, then we ain't got nothing to talk about.

Though ideally we wouldn't talk about such matters unless we like have all the time in the world and know each other well enough. Which even then, I don't really find such discussions conducive to cuddling. I mean, have you ever seen politicians even just hugging or holding hands while debating?

Come to think of it... maybe that wouldn't be such a terrible idea. But then again I can see it being. :(

So don't cuddle and debate? 😌

• Difference of opinion is one thing.

But when someone actively supports policies that oppress, endanger, criminalize and seek to strip the humanity of marginalized peoples and communities I have very little space and time for them.

In my eyes, you are not a very kind person if you support views that punch down.

I have my views based in lived experiences and backed up by nonpartisan research.

But I tend to stay fairly quiet on many things in open forums.

• Iv never ran into this with a cuddle buddy but recently I got a tattoo and the guy was ranting about politics I really didn't agree with for like 2 hours and it was pretty miserable. I was just pretty quiet and nodded here an there and am never going back there again 😬

• Everyone I cuddle with is American so I normally just say I’m Canadian and I don’t follow politics lol 😂

• edited December 2021

I used to be very anti political, until a few years ago when media became very prominent in sharing ideas, and thought provoking thoughts from close friends and family was being shared, and I wanted to be able to make my own opinion on things, so I started to become more involved.
    Always down for respectful conversation, small debates that don’t become too intense, and feel if it gets too be too much, I don’t mind leaving it at “agreeing to disagree” on things.
    I think it’s fascinating to hear other opinions, weather they be different from mine or not, and learning new topics to dive into and hearing perspectives of the people I care about.
    Not too much positivity going on these days, but I think it’s better to be aware rather than sticking my head in the ground and ignoring it all the time. 🤷‍♀️
    As far as politics while cuddling with clients, it really depends on the person and how the vibe is, again don’t like things getting too intense, especially while trying to relax, but if it’s something they are passionate about speaking on, I’m all ears and willing to share my opinions if asked.

• I’m down to discuss anything. As long as you don’t insult my parents. I won’t get angry if someone says my side sucks because who cares but like I find if I don’t agree with the other side they will get mad. 😊 but why even bring it up per se. Just enjoy the cuddles, music and other pleasantries. Unless of course you have cuddled enough times where you know each other.

• I would probably be careful because nobody is entirely on the right or entirely on the left. Some do get triggered over hearing certain point of views. I do understand both sides and like hearing from all sides, and I even watch all news sources (which kicked me off from the right and left), but not everyone can do that. All that being said, they discuss politics, while pretending to agree on something, if you bring something up from the same side of the political spectrum, they might not agree with that and might even get outraged. So the advice is to not bring up a new politics topic if they start discussing politics.

• I don't understand about people who don't like politics, in life everything is about politic ,who runs the country, people safety and protection,justice,dealing with people inquiries and needs of people,example we need water,electricity . Look now Covid19 it's something no one expected,people afraid about thier life, and government doing everything for society.

• I told my son, "If you are right, you don't have to convince the other person that you are right. You are right whether he agrees with you or not. So the more important thing is not winning, the argument; it's winning the person." The idea is to connect with someone, especially here at CC. Find common ground. It is too easy to find things to disagree about. There are two kinds of truth: absolute truth (whether you like it or not) and relative truth (based on one's perspective). It is easy to agree with someone's relative truth, because that is their perspective, even if it contradicts absolute truth. The trouble is deciding if it is worth convincing someone of absolute truth at the expense of the relationship, the connection. I am apolitical, but I also have clear enough eyes to see through propaganda games and see the results of various political policies. If the person I am cuddling with wants to play political games, I can play along. But no one is pulling the wool over my eyes, and I don't care if you cling tightly to your party or not.

• Seems a strange thing to bring up when cuddling. Unless you have an extremely good Socratic method of questioning anyone's positions, any discussion of politics the way its weaponized by the media to divide everyone would seem to be an extremely unproductive use of the time. Cuddling should be about relaxing and letting go, not getting worked up over the latest BS the talking heads are screaming about.

• I get the impression from reading this forum that I completely disagree with the politics of most people here. By extrapolation I'd most likely completely disagree with the cuddler. I can debate politics anywhere online or offline if I choose. The last thing I want to do is debate politics with a cuddler, especially one whom I am paying. So to the thread question if the cuddler brings up politics what would I do, I'd change the subject or say I want to cuddle in silence, which is at times preferable anyway. I'm not sure why people have to be talking all the time.

• @CozyWolfy "and the guy was ranting about politics I really didn't agree with for like 2 hours and it was pretty miserable. "

Geez. I feel you.

• The media is full of politics, which is why it's on so many peoples' minds. There are literally hundreds of other topics to talk about. Think of a random topic and ask an open-ended question to get the conversation started.

• No one has ever brought up politics while cuddling with me so it’s a moot point. If they did, I’d just say let’s talk about something else.

• The news has found it impossible to be apolitical. This is a principal reason I do not even have a tv in my home. I do not want to hear about politics, much less talk politics.

• I don't have a partner so the issue doesn't arise. I never discussed politics with co-workers unless I heard them say derogatory things about Democrats, in which case I agreed with them.

• I don't talk about politics with anyone, ever, anymore, because it always ends badly. I don't share common views with most people and I've learned that it's not worth it.

• Politely change the topic. Don’t ruin a fine cuddle with politics.

• There is nothing wrong to discuss about politic to share opinions if it's minor things like prices,Covid19,how to improve people lifes.

• I would tell them that I have a strict policy never to discuss politics or religion with a friend because too many friends are lost that way

• [Deleted User]Zundar (deleted user)

@GreatHornedOwl I have that same policy but I also extend it to include the topic of whether or not pineapple belongs on pizza.

• edited December 2021

I don’t have a TV and have not had one almost my entire adult life but I listen to NPR daily and check the news online. I love talking politics and religion or lack of it with my friends. We’re pretty like-minded and I also have the kind of friends who can handle being disagreed with or questioned about their opinions and beliefs. However, when I’m cuddling I don’t want to discuss that stuff. I don’t discuss it at dances, either.

Back when Watergate was going on, I was living in the least populated county in Missouri. I was at the end of a gravel road, one mile from the closest electrical or phone line. (No cell phones then.) We had no electricity, no radio, no telephone, yet every single day I heard about what was going on with the Watergate hearings without even seeking it out. Either one of my neighbors or a visitor from the city would stop by and bring it up or I’d stop by and chat with the neighbor down the road and they would bring it up. Every. Single. Day. Amazing.

I’m Italian and from New Jersey. Let’s not talk about pineapple on pizza.

• @GreatHornedOwl I too choose not to discuss politics or religion in general. I've also never ended a friendship over either if we have disagreed on the rare occasions it has come up.

• @Zundar Yes, but do you not discuss pineapple on thin crust New York style pizza or do you not discuss pineapple on Chicago style deep dish pizza? Now there's a great topic for debate.