Are you more the silly/funny/don’t take yourself too seriously

edited December 2021 in General

Type, or are you more the serious / stern / & do take yourself seriously type (no right or wrong answer)

Comments

• For the most part, I laugh at myself, and don't take myself too seriously. I don't think I'm more important than anyone else, but I do think I'm AS important as anyone else. I feel that it is important for me to show up in this world in a genuine and kind way, and I do take those things seriously.

• edited December 2021

I am curious why we have threads like this asking for people to put themselves in a box? I think mood, sleep and context are only a few of the things missing when considering a request such as this asking one to label themself.

• @funcartel I think you woke up in the wrong side of the bed today lol, or lack sleep 💤, or maybe hit the wrong strain this morning … we have threads like this just like there are threads for many other things … it is the curiosity of the poster nothing more nothing less … try not to take things too personally , you’ll end up overthinking things (like now) … & it might lead to stress … also, it is never mandatory or a requirement to participate, but I know that you already know this.

• @cuddles_ndream No it is actually a question, because you are asking people to pin themselves down. Here you go again making assumptions about me because you do not like the answer you got. If you do not like the answer don’t ask the question. Besides, you said there is no right or wrong answer. That obviously is not true.

• @FunCartel. Didn’t you label yourself by selecting that name. Maybe not accurately, but nevertheless a label.

• edited December 2021

@unclebuck It is required of the site. But nice personal attack.

• I once read a quote. “Don’t take life too seriously, you’ll never get out of it alive.” So I appreciate humor, love comedies, and yeah act a little silly. I’ve been known to put on a red shirt and walk around Target on Black Friday, and see how many questions I get! So you might add, time waster! Lol

• @FunCartel - once again I’m going to say ok lol, maybe / hopefully you settle down Lololol.

• @unclebuck you know & I know & everyone else knows you didn’t personally attack him … he’s going through his motions right now, it happens very rarely, aside from this he’s funny & cool, don’t fall for the bait. & lmao @ red shirt at target 😂

• edited December 2021

@cuddles_ndream I am calm. You just seem to have a knack for deflecting anything you don’t agree with onto the person. I was just curious why you wanted people to put themselves in a box without any context. Then, as you have in other threads, you made assumptions about me without asking me why I am asking the question. I could assume that you start threads for attention but I don’t—hence the question.

In the future, just ask instead of assuming or baiting.

• edited December 2021

ok

(edit: the “ok” above is for you to calm down, not in agreeing) since you edited the last sentence in. I didn’t agree with that sentence so I had to deflect it to you.)

“The ok above is for you to calm down” is not productive. Please don’t tell other people how to feel. You don’t need to deflect to anyone and by announcing that’s what you are doing you are, in fact, doing the opposite. In other words, you’re fanning the fires while claiming to want to deescalate. Please don’t do that. - Babichev

• edited December 2021

I think questioning why one would put themselves into an either/or box is a legit question. My own reaction to the question in the OP is that I, personally, can’t answer the question as asked because it’s too simplistic. Humans are complex and I’m no exception.

So why ask the question? Well, humans also like to categorize. We do it all the time. Not being able to categorize often makes us uncomfortable.

Years ago I was going to school and there was a coffee shop on the corner. I’d occasionally stop in and get a cookie or a pastry. The person behind the counter was completely ambiguous as to sex. I couldn’t tell if they were a masculine looking woman or a feminine looking guy. They barely spoke and when they did, their voice did not give them away. They did not have a name tags. Absolutely nothing about them revealed whether they were biologically male or female. Though I saw them frequently over the course of six months I never did figure it out. In spite of the fact that I’d been around gay, lesbian, and trans people since I was 19 years old, I found it unsettling not to know.

When it comes to other humans, part of the urge to categorize is to answer the question, “Is this friend or foe?” Our lives are not at stake here so I think it’s safe to assume we’re not in danger of physical harm from mere conversation. I don’t know what it is about the internet but I notice a tendency for people to “hear” hostility and anger when no emotional language is present, to “hear” an attack on the person when it is an idea that is being challenged. It occurs most often when someone disagrees or questions our assumptions so perhaps on a deep reptilian brain level it places that person in the “foe” category because they are not, at first impression, part of our tribe. It’s not just my observation, this tendency to assume hostility has been thoroughly documented

I personally don’t mind questions posed for fun that I may think are overly simplistic, I don’t take them too seriously. Some people enjoy them. I’m too aware of the infinite variety of the human experience to ignore the lack of nuance. Rather than answer such a question I’d rather pose a question that would give the answerer an opportunity to reveal who they are, like: “If you, and only you, had the choice of a superpower, which would you choose - flight or invisibility, and why?” How people answer can produce some good stories.

• Here’s a challenge for everyone involved: Let’s see if we can have an actual conversation and avoid personal attacks, projecting our own emotional reactions onto others, focus on ideas rather than personalities, and generally keep it civilized and adult. Think before you hit “post.” Agreed? - Babichev

• @Babichev Agree!

I definitely am more silly than serious. Especially here in CC community 😊

• I don't know what you mean. I'm just a simple sentient talking beverage living their best milkshake life👀

• @FunCartel nuuuuuuu!!! Goodbye cruel world😂🤣

• More silly, funny, than serious!🙃🙂😂🤣

• I give people the impression that I am very serious but I have an excellent sense of humor and I see the funny side of things where most people don't. However, I don't reveal the real me to many people because I am an introvert.

• [Deleted User]cuddlestogive (deleted user)

I absolutely love to be silly! But at appropriate times, of course. I have a rather odd sense of humor. I tend to see the oddities of things and like to point them out. But I also enjoy a good, serious conversation. How a conversation goes usually depends on what I'm feeling from the other person.

• I try not to take myself too seriously, although I definitely honor/care about myself - I'm very silly, funny, and young at heart. I've found the source of joy in life and in myself, enough so that I can stay youthful, kind, sweet, loving, funny, and still have hope. I think that's the best we can do. 💜

• I'm more of a serious person. Has to do with my upbringing, I think! Unless I'm feeling really relaxed and safe, it's tough for me to laugh. I'm working on it. Trauma takes a while.

• edited January 2022

I find it so much easier to make fun of yourself constantly so no one else gets the chance to criticize you. Like if you put yourself in a trash can and call yourself Oscar the Grouch no one else is going to go out of their way to call you garbage because you’re already self proclaimed garbage.

• @xandriarain you definitely look like an Oscar, but you definitely don't seem like a grouch, or like garbage. You appear to remain bright among your surroundings, which seems kinda like the goal. 😊