A social gathering?

2»

Comments

• Can someone sticker this thread I think it is an important one and I do not know how to do it.
    Love you John, Auckland NZ.
  • I would be there in a heartbeat if you were all in Alabama!! Sigh, story of my life....
  • [Deleted User]Unknown (deleted user)
    @ fire and blue ;  191 for ten persons ?  I guess that is ok for a hotel room . There is no community center nearby ?  I checked our local , there are several sized rooms , for instance , a medium room for up to 72 persons is $28.00 per hour comes with table chairs coffee urn tv-vcr-dvd , projector availible . 
    The hotel room is a suite with a full kitchen, fire pit on premises (we are having s'mores) and I am serving snacks and hot food. I have eight people guaranteed so far. $30 per person x 8 is $240 for three hours of hanging out, and if people  are really having a great time and want to stay longer they are welcome.  There is no "times up, got to go" with a hotel suite. It's not cold and impersonal like a library or community center, and offers privacy without people gawking or walking in. 

Plus, the people who have registered love the idea, and that's what matters most. 

We are all really excited to meet each other face-to-face and grow our community in the mid Atlantic area and Maryland!
    edited April 2017
    Fire that was just a suggestion , I didn't mean to imply that you chose the wrong venue , for your presentation .
    You are liable to have something here , there are 54,000 members according to the cuddle comfort home page .  Someone out there will want to perhaps do something like this also , and might like to invite more than ten persons ,they might like the idea of a library .  
    It is a ROOM , with doors you can close , to keep out public , or the curious . 
    Btw , a hotel suite has a check out time .
     All I'm saying is I opened up the suggestion and had eight people in the first afternoon signed up.  The brand Cuddle Parties charges $30. I'm also including education about consent, the physical and emotional healing of touch, and oxytocin, we will also go over the rules of the site. There are "professional" and nonprofessional cuddlers attending. People are there to meet face-to-face and break the ice so they can continue outside of that meeting with whatever cuddling arrangements they are comfortable with.

Yes, a hotel has a check out time which is 20 hours after the time I'm checking into the room.  If people wanted to have an overnight cuddle, that is also a possibility. Lots of possibilities.  Within our group we are discussing other venues down the road, and the possibility of monthly meetings. But I didn't have any resistance at all with $30 per person. Perhaps for other meetings other venues will work.  The local libraries around me all have a glass windows, doors with windows. Minimal privacy of "closed doors" and I'm pretty sure that blankets and pillows on the floor with people cuddling each other would be frowned upon.  I appreciate your suggestions, I put a ton of thought into planning. I also think it's nice for the people who are traveling to have the option to crash overnight and have breakfast included in the morning.  :)

Fire I like it ! 
    Great job !!
  • @FireAndBlue. Dear Fire, did you get a answer from @mark about the costs to the site for being able to use the site, I am putting together the same thing in NZ and promoting the site. If not can you push him so we all know what the rules are, I value the site to much to make an opps and a public decision on this thread would be easy, compared to personal emails.
    Love you all John and his trees. Auckland NZ.
    I didn't yet, and I asked @Mark in private email and here in the forum.

It's expected we pay 15% when we cuddle (but I'm not going to make any profit from this meeting). I may even go a little bit out of pocket if only the 8 people attend, depending on how fancy I go with the food. 

I would absolutely pay 15% if any profit was made. It would only be fair. Not sure it would be fair to pay if I went out of pocket to plan and host an event where I am paying to put it together. 

What are the general thoughts on this?

Would it be different because I'm a professional vs someone who plans an event who isn't?

Discuss...

• Dear Fire, understand, I think it is up to mark and his thoughts, being a long weekend things may take some time, I think you are great for just trying and if there is anything I can do just ask, Long distance Hugs.
    Love you john and what is left of his trees. NZ
    Long distance hugs!
  • I think that this type of event should not fall under the 15% rule, which is in my opinion set up for one on one cuddles.  What you are talking about may or may not make a profit, as you stated.  If it ends up being a financial loss for you, however small or large, I doubt that @mark would be willing to cover the difference for you, so similarly I don't think he should expect any compensation, if it makes a small profit.
     I would never expect cuddle comfort to be involved in compensating for a gathering I planned. And I am very willing to pay 15% if there is a profit, even if it is a very small one. 

I've also discussed with a couple of the people attending the event that if my actual costs broke down to say 20 something dollars each,  and not the full $30 per person, it's possible they may receive a four or five dollar per person refund, so that is also a possibility. Or, putting those couple of dollars towards planning the next event... 

@VIPirate and I tossed around several of these scenarios when we were discussing what would make a great event. 

I'm not looking to make any money or keep any profit for this event. It is simply to organize a gathering of local people and to make it as comfortable and fun/social as possible.  I thought a nice hotel room and good food would be very welcoming. 

I don't know that I think paying 15% on the costs covering the room and food would be fair, because that is the cost of business. Just like @Mark does not collect a percentage if we charge a travel fee because that is the cost of doing business driving to destinations that are not very "local". But I am willing to abide by whatever decision is made, either way. 
  • I really like the idea of having a hotel room event like this.  I am wondering how many people would go to one like it if I were to set it up in Pasadena, Ca.
  • edited April 2017
    That's right, it would only be applicable to the profit in this scenario. If the event is strictly non-profit then you don't need to worry about it. Thank you for checking on this.
  • I would go to something like this if it was in San Diego or LA area!
  • Dear All. I think Doc put in a nut shell, If there is not one, start one, the problem is it takes so much work, @mark, thank you for your reply, we now all know the rules.
    Have fun and play safe, the storm has passed and now the big clean up, we lost so many trees, Ruth is fine still when you are as old as she is you can weather a few storms.
    john and his trees, Auckland NZ.
    @Mark thank you, I appreciate your support for our local venture. :)

to others planning in your area I would be willing to share my setup and plans, the mini seminars I've planned on consent, oxytocin, and the ability to say "no" as a complete sentence. Just private msg me. 

• @fireandblue It​ looks like I just missed​ this event. Too bad, the drive would be ok for me, and I would have loved to help out with the payment.
    I will keep you posted on the plans for our next event!   It's going to be middle or end of June. I'm looking forward to meeting you :)
  • snuggle - have u thought of organising one in your area?

• @poolman I have thought about it but I'm not sure if there would be enough interest. There are also a lot of expenses that go along with it that would have to be covered in order for it to be doable.

• I'm totally in!!! Gimme some love people <3 :D