Anyone here comic book fans?

I'm new to this site and I noticed there are a couple of geek (for lack of a better term) people, just from reading the threads so far.

I'm not talking MCU, DCEU, or any of the movies. Although I'm a fan of those things I'm talking specifically about the comics.

Also I'm not just talking about superhero comics. Grimm's Fairy Tales by Zenoscope publishing, My Little pony Friendship is Magic comic series, or even the Popeye comic series to name a few off-hand count as well.

So are there any comic book fans out there on this site?

Comments

• I actually enjoy comic books. I love to read Archie, Garfield, Danger girl, questionable content, etc. My preference in the genre is mostly comedy or slice of life.

• I have been a Marvel and DC fan all my life. I also wrote a couple of popular comic series (aimed at a pre-teen audience) back in the 2000s.

• edited February 2022

Peripherally. I’m more of a friend of comic book fans. Some of my friends have been comix artists, many are comic book fans, one has been teaching a history of comics since before it was cool, was one of the pioneers in the field. Even though he does not have tenure he says, comparing himself to younger professors who do, “But I worked in the industry.” He was the one who introduced me to Maus back in 1970. Just recently a pillar of the comic book scene in St. Louis had to go into a nursing home. His son, who appreciates the value (not just monetary but historic and cultural value) of his father’s collection is preparing to sell most of it and wants to make sure the stuff gets into the right hands. My friend was in town for a reunion and I got to go with him to see it. Wow, it was incredible, two apartments full of comic books and memorabilia.

I especially love the old stuff like Felix the Cat and the Katzenjammer Kids, also some of the underground comix of the late 60s/early 70s like Zippy the Pinhead and Mr. Natural. One of the Last Gasp guys is a friend of mine, hence the soft spot for that group. I also loved Li’l Abner and Gordo, Brenda Starr, and Prince Valiant.

So I’m sort of a comics fan but not hardcore.

• Ooh. Good conversation starter. I like The Sandman (Neil Gaiman), JTHM (Jhonen Vasquez), stuff like that. I did grow up with Archie comics, though. Fun.

• I’m a huge Marvel nerd, though I dabble in DC. My uncle was an avid collector and when I was a kid I would read just about anything I could get my hands on but I was particularly interested in Venom: Lethal Protector.

• edited February 2022

Does Calvin and Hobbes count? Loved it as a kid.

I never got into comics, but I read every book I could get hands on. I grew up poor and around violence; reading was my escape and it was free.

• I’m a big comic fan. Mostly Marvel and DC, though I also joined The Boys and Invincible comics. Even though it’s not a superhero comic, I also enjoyed the Walking Dead comics as well.

• @MCcuddles2 yes, like I mentioned earlier it doesn't have to be superheroes per se. Several people mentioned Archie.

The one series I always loved is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

• I've always loved comics. Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, and Garfield were my favorites when I was younger, nowadays I'm more into webcomics, both story-driven and variety. I just finished catching up on Lore Olympus, which I'd say is my favorite right now, but Questionable Content was traditionally my fav. I also got Mr Lovenstein's first book this week.

Also, if graphic novels count, Watchmen is an all time fav.

I do like physical comics as well, but Deadpool and Invicible are as close as I get to superhero ones. I've only started Scott Pilgrim & Sandman.

I was literally obsessed with Garfield as a kid. I still have every comic up through, like, book 40, and the Garfield and Friends cartoon series.

• @MCcuddles2 C&H absolutely counts. I have the big boi complete set and I still go back and read through it!

• I used to be. I collected Marvel and DC, primarily in the 80’s. I picked back up for awhile when Marvel started Civil War, but after a few years I got bored with them. I do remember the stories and art fondly and am excited about most of the movies and shows these days. As for non-superhero comics, I didn’t venture very far, sometimes to Dark Horse and Dynamite.

• My mom would not let me have comic books when I was a kid but I would read my friends’. Little Lulu, Uncle Scrooge are the two I remember the most. My aunt and uncle owned a confectionary and they had comic books in the store. That was weird - comics were somehow “bad” but my aunt and uncle sold them. She wouldn’t let me read any superhero ones. Some guy had written a book that claimed that comics had subliminal sexual messages in them. I’m not making this up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seduction_of_the_Innocent

• I was introduced to comic books at a young age. My dad had a collection from when he was a child; it primarily contained old issues of Superman, the Flash, and other DC heroes. I didn't care much for those—I thought that the characters were goofy, and the stories laughably bad. However, there were a few horror comics as well. Those were my favorites. I remember The Tomb of Dracula with special fondness, despite only having access to a couple of issues. There was a solitary issue of Chilling Tales of Horror as well, but the thing was in rough shape. Still, I marveled at the macabre artwork.

My very first comic that I bought of my own volition (using a gift card I'd received as a Christmas gift) was an adaptation of Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher". I treasured it, and over time added more comic adaptations of my favorite horror stories to my own collection.

I don't buy too many comics now. I keep an eye out for new horror releases, and sometimes snatch up a couple, but that's about it. Junji Ito's work is almost always worthwhile.

• Not particular a collector but when I first signed up on eBay I wanted to bid on a piece of machinery. The seller said he would not accept my bid only because he wanted to see five feedbacks first to see if I was real . So I bought five comic books from five different sellers. A buck here., 2.20 there etc . Spent a total of 12.00 .