Have You Read Any Compelling Books Lately?

These are three good books on the politics of sex & gender role norms.

Comments

• The last two titles suggest broad generalization, in my inexpert opinion.

No one has extorted money from me, and I'm nobody's slave. I don't feel like a victim of femininity in any way, and I don't see feminism as synonymous with misandry.

• @SincereGenuine - the post was tagged for the gross generalization that women oppress men.

I will leave this thread up CONDITIONALLY.

Now understand. Your post is opinion. I expect rigorous and enthusiastic disagreements to your premise. That said, if this thread DEVOLVES to personal attacks OR attempts to equate feminism and misandry and/or slavery, then I will shut this down in a hot minute.

• @SincereGenuine You might take this to your church and share copies with the congregation:

• Getting my supplies ready for this thread

• edited February 2022

Dear Joyful Heart:

Thanks for your reply!

I WELCOME & APPRECIATE your dissenting viewpoints based on subjective perspectivism being conveyed without vitriolic antagonism.

• @SincereGenuine I agree. Please leave a review of my suggestion.

• edited February 2022

Dear Sideon:

Thanks for your reply!

If my thread atrophies into personal attacks, it won’t be because I stoked them by dignifying uncivil replies with a rebuttal. Please note that the politically incorrect The Manipulated Man was written by Esther Vilar, a woman.

• @FunCartel: Ah, I'm sure they already bottom to a book, and so don't need any other.

Me, I'll carry on being

and perhaps occasionally reading 'Feminism Is For Everybody.'

• @Spud424 I’ll save you a seat but ONLY if you share your popcorn!!! Extra butter please. 💛💛💛

• The Rule of Empires by Timothy Parsons.

It takes a look at various empires throughout history, and gives explanations as to why they failed. It's a fascinating read if you enjoy history.

Reality Check, by Donald Prothero.

This delightful book is about how people (usually Americans) often fail to comprehend science, and how those people then deny evidence put forth by people who do understand science—because there's a culture of ignorance deeply ingrained in numerous powerful groups that have an impact on society.

• [Deleted User]DeadGirlWalking (deleted user)
    edited February 2022

Just a few of the books I've read recently. Trying to broaden my horizons and read more works by POC and queer authors.

I agree with @SincereGenuine, and I too think it's important to read books about the politics of sex, and gender role norms.

• @BuggleBear: Compelling and instructive! I'm adding those to my to-read list.

• I looked up compelling 😎

• edited February 2022

The Bible NABRE translation. Does memorizing count as reading?

@DaringSprinter I can recommend a huge amount of books on gender theory and feminism. I did my degree in it so I had to read a LOT of relevant books!

• @DaringSprinter

and perhaps occasionally reading 'Feminism Is For Everybody.'

And here I thought everybody loved Feminism because it is about ALL genders being equal..... "Feminism is a movement to end sexism, sexist exploitation, and oppression." (Watkins, p 4) I thought Everybody already agreed that feminism is a good thing? I mean its not something that still needs to be passed into our constitution or anything like that right??? I must be missing something.... (Thank you for the fabulous link btw. 68 short pages!! Lovely)

My current stack…. Besides Astronomy and Communications Textbooks.
    This one is my current favorite….

“You’re a damn Cheetah!!!!!!” 💛❤️💕💜💙💚💕💗💓❤️💛💜❤️❤️❤️ Just absolutely love this. Today. 🥰

• Some love for Pakistani American authors ❤

• edited February 2022

Currently reading. I'm designing some systems that transport high pressure gases. Flow of gases is one of the most complicated topic in mechanical engineering.

Too complex for applying physics equations so we rely on empirical data. This is one of the empirical bibles.

If you want to know what makes it so complex, imagine each molecule in a gas having its own motion. It follows laws of physics, but ypu jave to consider the aggregate effect of millions of these particles interacting.

Quote from the book:

• Always looking for new reading material and am also intensely interested in some of the topics of focus within some of the books shared!
    Following 😊✌️

@Nature_Lover_ what kind of books do you enjoy? I spend a LOT of time in bookshops, reading, reviewing and on BookTok, so maybe I can help you find some new titles you might enjoy?

Actually, that goes for everyone- if you need help finding your next favourite read, send me a message and tell me some of your favourite genres, authors you like and books you've enjoyed, and I'll collate you a list of a few titles I hope you'll enjoy.

• edited February 2022

I had a professor in grad school that gave me 6,000 books when he retired. His wife gave me a few thousand more a couple of years later. After twenty plus years I gifted them to an inner city library that desperately needed them. The selfish part of me wishes I had them and started a coffee shop as a side hustle, but I don’t regret where and to whom they went to. I don’t need the money, but it is my nature to think what could have been.

Where did you store 6,000+1,000s more books?

Also: I'm weak at the knees at the thought of those stacks and stacks of books.

• I have a finished basement and attic.

• "A Mathematician's Lament" by Paul Lockhart

• I really enjoyed “Laziness Does Not Exist” and I’m still working my way through “Unwinding Anxiety”.

• edited February 2022

@BuggleBear: Nice! And to think, I wasted my college classes on criminal justice. The reading isn't nearly as good.

@sillysassy

I'm glad you appreciated the link! You're welcome. It is a nice short read.

I thought Everybody already agreed that feminism is a good thing?

Yeah, you'd think everyone would have that figured out by now! But no. We still get people who think

And actually put things like this—

—in their profiles. Go figure, huh?

Edited to add image descriptions to mouseover text.

• I reread this a few weeks ago. I've read everything this man has ever written. I like going back to these books sometimes.

• edited February 2022

I do a lot of price comparison shopping for books on internet sites such as alibris, biblio, abebooks, thriftbooks, amazon, and ebay; I recommend that you do likewise if you are a serious book enthusiast.

• @SincereGenuine: There's actually a whole website dedicated to Men's Liberty.

• The author is a friend of mine. It’s the letters he sent from jail when he was busted for weed in 1986. He - like all other felons residing in Virginia - has not been able to vote until last year when the Governor of Virginia signed an executive order restoring the right to vote to all felons who have served their sentences. Possession is now legal in Virginia.