Would it be unreasonable to ask for a deposit for a consultation?

I offer a free exploratory 30-minute consultation over video chat to all prospective clients. In part, it is a safety screening call, but it is also a chance for the new client to ask questions, tell me what they hope to get out of a session, and generally get more comfortable with me before we meet in person. I always try to be presentable and punctual to these consultations and plan my day around them. It frustrates me when I get a no-show. I am thinking about implementing a $30 deposit for the consultation. The $30 would go towards the session if the person decided to book with me, and they would get a refund if they chose not to have a session. If they were a no-show and wasted my time, they would lose the $30. Every few weeks, I get a no-show, and I consider implementing a deposit policy for consultations like this, but at the same time, I don't want to scare off good clients.

1. Do you think I should implement this deposit policy?25 votes
    1. Yes
      48.00%
    2. No
      52.00%

Comments

• I say no.

While I understand the frustration of losing time and having it wasted by no shows , this will only set to scare off potential clients. It's part of running a business and something we can all expect to happen from time to time.

Some people are camera shy and may get cold feet over the prospect of doing a video chat last minute.

Instead I'd set aside a time during the week where you offer video consultations that do not interfere with your schedule or require you to block off time. Do it when it's leisurely so you're not planning your day around a potential no show.

• edited February 2022

$30 sounds like quite a lot in this context. I'd try $10 and see how you get on.

You could also offer a clear choice: "Video slots before 11am Monday - Friday (or whatever) are free of charge. Slots at other times are also free, but attract a small deposit ($10) which counts against the session fee or will be refunded to you, no questions asked, should you elect not to proceed."

In other contexts when I have encountered similar problems, it is the principle of the deposit that makes the difference, not the amount. In other words, people who have paid a deposit are much more likely to turn, irrespective of the size of the deposit. A high deposit does not improve the no-show rate over a low one, but it does reduce the number of people who will pay it.

• @rezz The issue is if I want to book sooner than later and if I only have one day a week that I’m doing video calls I might miss a window of opportunity if they have to wait too long.

• @xandriarain it doesn't have to be one day, it could be a time set aside in the evening, afternoon or evening where you welcome consultations. 🙃

Are video consultations mandatory before you accept new clients? If so that means you're requiring a deposit for all new clients. This will hurt you more than help unfortunately.

• @Rezz Yes they are mandatory, my hours are already 12 to 9 for in person sessions and I’m just too tired late at night to do consultations so that only leaves a small window of time in the morning. I generally will reschedule consultations if a session comes up but I still have to make time in my day and plan around consultations and for me mornings are tough already so it’s hard when a half hour gets wasted a no-show when I could’ve been using that time to get ready or walking my dogs. Like right now I’m running late and I have to still walk my dogs and I could’ve done that earlier how do I known that person was canceling the consultation. I already require a 50% deposit after the consultation if the person wants to move forward and that’s worked out pretty well for me and cut down on a lot of BS/unsavory characters.

• I actually voted no but have changed my mind since rereading the structure as you laid it out. If the prospective cuddler can also pull the plug after showing up to the consultation for ANY reason and get a full refund, or that money is used towards the first session? Seems like an excellent way to separate out time wasters.

• I also vote no because there is always the possibility of the provider of services having a last minute emergency that needs tending to , if the services are provided by sole proprietor , there s no one to take the providers place . Certainly the cuddler can send a message to the client I can’t make the phone call time but it is a cancellation , and would make it awkward , leaving the client to wonder what’s the purpose of the deposit if the cuddler cancels .

• [Deleted User]Moxytocin (deleted user)

@cuddlerforu24 I'm not sure I understand what you wrote 100% but most pros have a cancellation policy that includes rolling your deposit to a new appt if you cancel with plenty of notice. A pro would refund your deposit if they cancel on you because of an emergency. What your deposit is for is to ensure you don't cancel with zero notice or no show (pro would keep it in that case).

These are general examples - pros are independent and set their own policies.

• @Moxytocin you say “ A pro would refund your deposit if they cancel because of an emergency “. I agree with that . I agree that some or most clients would not want the pro to waste time if time is precious and focus on the emergency and not fumble with weak cellular signals or low phone batteries or texting while driving .
    What I meant was there can be some awkwardness in refunding .

edited March 2022

I'm not sure why there would be awkwardness. Professionals have policies and abide by them. End of.
    Nothing awkward about it. If you don't see a written cancellation policy, don't book with them.

• @xandriarain ~ I think I may have answered wrong...

"Would it be unreasonable to ask for a deposit for a consultation?"

I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

"The $30 would go towards the session if the person decided to book with me, and they would get a refund if they chose not to have a session. If they were a no-show and wasted my time, they would lose the $30."
    "Do you think I should implement this deposit policy?"

I think if you feel it's going to cut down on people wasting your time, then do it. It's your business and you're running it like one.

I do think $30 may be a bit high though as some might worry if they choose to not book there's really nothing to stop you from keeping the money (other than your integrity). Personally, I think $15 to $20 might go over a little better, but I don't really have anything to base that on except it's enough for one to not want to lose but not so much one would be feeling it's too much of risk should the choose not to book.

I don't know if this will help at all, but at my tutoring gig I was getting $25 an hour. If after 30 mins they didn't show, I would still get paid for my time spent waiting/$12.50.

I think it might benefit you to condider:

~ How much is 30 mins of your time worth to you? Did/do you offer virtual sessions? That could be a good price point to consider if you did/do.

~ How long will you wait before considering them a 'no show'? My doc gives me 10 minutes on a 30 min appt, and 15 mins on an 50 min appointment, to be late. After that they won't see me and I'm auto charged 1/3 of the session cost (thank goodness for zoom!).

I guess what I'm saying is, after you've determined if you'll charge a deposit or not, you'll just need to crunch the numbers and see what will make you feel like you're doing what's best for you and setting up a plan you won't feel at all negative about sticking to.

Honestly ~ You professional pros ~ I admire all the considerations you all put into your cuddle businesses and your clients!! I'm glad this side of the forum exists so I can peek behind the scenes and be in awe for a few...
    Good on ya!! 🤗💝

• I don't think it would be fair to charge money for this consultation since you're the one who needs/wants it.
    Its not something the client is asking for.
    I'm not sure why these clients aren't booking with you after this free consultation. I can only imagine they are stupid and thought you were going to be doing non platonic stuff and once they chatted with you they realized you're legit and aren't going to do anything like that.
    Your profile has too many words in it. Most of the knucklheads aren't going to read all that.
    The first few lines should clearly state PLATONIC ONLY, ANY VIOLATORS WILL BE REPORTED.
    Just do that, and save yourself time.

So... since some men arent booking a cuddle after the consultation, it's not fair that she charges for a consultation. Got it. 👌

• @Moxytocin Yes well the client is using his or her time too right? The client just spent 30 minutes talking to someone they realized they don't want to cuddle with.

@Melancholy Actually if you reread the op, her plan is to refund the consult fee for those guys who decide not to schedule a session anyway and keep it as a down payment for those who schedule.

• Would it be unreasonable for the client to agree to send the cuddler a personal check to pay for the deposit . Once the check clears the cuddler can schedule the consultation .
    A payment could be arranged as the client receives the cuddlers name and business address to send the payment . Is that reasonable ?

It's reasonable if the pro accepts personal checks. If a pro decides to run her business with the rule that she only accepts x type of payments, then no. Move along.

• Now why wouldn’t a pro not accept a personal check from a platonic cuddling client . My opinion of these cash apps is that they are for “ sugar daddies or mommas”.
    I consistently read remarks from a pros that they might decline a client who is married , unless they are confident that the spouse is aware of their cuddling activities . The issuance of this instrument , which could
    Be drawn from a shared bank account , seems to me that the married client is not keeping any secrets from a spouse that may be balancing the checkbook . Certainly the pro can withhold performance until the check is sent through the banking system .

edited March 2022

A LOT of businesses don't accept personal checks. 🤷‍♀️ And personally, I don't care if someone is married any more than my massage therapist cares if I'm married. Remember, every pro here is their own business (or signed up out of curiosity about this "money making scheme") so not everyone really operates professionally. We are not employed by CC.

• The reason some professionals care whether a client is married is not because they are unwilling to cuddle a person who is married or in a long term relationship. It's usually because they have had a previous bad experience(s) of harrassment and abuse (possibly including threats of violence) from the deceived spouse when they find out.

• @Melancholy What I proposed was if the client showed up to the consultation and decided not to book or if I chose not to want to work with them, I would give them a refund. The reason I would ask for a deposit is to avoid waking up early or rushing home to do a consultation and finding myself staring at myself on zoom, feeling disrespected, and having my time wasted. I want to charge people for wasting my time, not for the consultation itself.