Platonic Crushes?

Do any of you develop platonic crushes (AKA: Squishes)?

I've noticed recently that I've been developing a lot of platonic crushes for quite a few of my friends (and a few cuddlers). It's like a great emotional (but non-romantic & non-sexual) attraction, or just a profound desire to spend more time with them, and (for me, at least) it's usually based on them being extremely talented or knowledgeable about something that I find impressive. Maybe it's just a byproduct of not having a lot of socialization, and I miss spending time with them?

I've also noticed this with a couple of the pro cuddlers I've had sessions with. We'd have really engaging conversations, and we'd end up talking about something they were SO passionate about, that I'd find myself awash with fascination. Often, there'd be quite a bit of laughter, too, which is always wonderful. With many of my friends, we're close enough that I've been able to express my feelings towards them (and platonic 'I love you's), but do you think it'd be a bit much expressed to a pro cuddler? I admit, it could easily be awkward if I said "I miss you", or "I think I have a platonic crush on you..." Perhaps if it's worded differently? "I've always enjoyed our time together, you're a fascinating person, and I'd really love to see you again soon." What are your thoughts, and how do you think something like this could be conveyed without coming across as creepy or potentially threatening? (And I really hope this post doesn't come across that way... (cue social anxieties))

Comments

• edited April 2022

This doesn’t strike me as a thing I do. And as a pretty literal person it doesn’t land for me. I don’t get it.

And I love drinking sea water.

• edited April 2022

don’t ever drink sea water 🌊

@Syins

(I was 100% sure you would edit 😆)

• Crush is most certainly not a sexual thing. I mean it kinda sorta can be in certain circumstances, but that's not really what it's about. Young kids can have crushes on teachers, for example.

If the 'thing' is clearly sexual then by definition it isn't a crush. You just fancy them.

Just starting to think about it, perhaps a crush requires admiration.

• I can feel very dreamy and mushy about friends. Adore them. Want to hold them and make them feel amazing. Yet not want a relationship with them.

That said, I wouldn't recommend saying those things to your Pro's, as the verbiage would easily be misconstrued. I would stick with more general compliments, like, "I think you're amazing", "I love spending time with you", "You make me feel really happy", etc.

~ Sunset Snuggles

• I crush a lot! Because i ain’t a playa. Get it? But i do develop crushes all the time.

• @cuddles_ndream Sound advice! :lol:

@CuddleDuncan I've had crushes throughout my life that haven't involved anything sexual, but I feel nowadays it's something that has to be clarified. "Admiration." Good word to describe it! Thanks for that! :smiley:

@SunsetSnuggles And that's why I asked... I have resounding fears that my expressed emotions get misconstrued by others, especially people I'm fond of... While I hope the peaceful smile on my face after a session would add any needed context, I do like to make sure that my words come across as intended. I'm also referring to Pro's that I've been fortunate enough to have had multiple sessions with... Thank you SO much for your input!

• One of my friends five-year-old son always says to me I want to marry you. So I imagine he has a crush on me. It warms my heart every time he says it

• I have three really good guy friends no romantic feelings towards them but I just absolutely love being around them

• @BashfulLoner Wow, Big Pun reference! :smile: Had to go and watch the vid again... RIP Big Pun.

• @KozyKim 5yo crushes are so cute, 'cos they're so innocent. You must be a wonderful person to warrant such admiration. :smiley: I had a similar situation with a friend's 4yo daughter, but she was humorously realistic about it... "You'd be a good boyfriend, but my Mom & Dad would be angry. You can still buy me ice cream, tho." :lol:

• @SunsetSnuggles I agree.

No matter how carefully worded, it could go wrong. You would have to decide if you could live with a possible permanent negative outcome. And don't do it during the cuddle! But I get when you like someone so much and you want to make sure they know how uniquely good they are and what a special addition they are to you and the world. Just tread carefully.

I only know @KozyKim here, but I am pretty certain she is wonderful and special.

• @achetocuddle Yeah, I definitely wouldn't want to cause any negative feelings, especially in someone that I'd just had a wonderful time with. During the cuddling, I'm usually still engrossed in conversation, listening to an anecdote, or in a blissful silence. And to this point, I've only said things, such as: "I had an amazing time", "That was a wonderful conversation", or "I'd really like to do this again sometime, if you're available."

I DO appreciate and value everyone's inputs... So many of you are FAR more experienced with cuddling, and it's something that I feel has benefited me quite a bit. :smiley:

• @jaswbrown It was so sweet his sister said to him you know mama Kim’s gonna be old by the time you’re ready to marry her, He said I don’t care. Then he whispers in my ear mama Kim I’m going to build you a beautiful table with a beautiful design for your wedding present.

The little girl that had a crush on you sounds pretty sharp. She sounds like a hoot!!

The sweet innocence of children, so very precious!

• [Deleted User]GoodRightHook (deleted user)

The Seven Forms of Love...
    Eros – Romantic, Passionate Love ...
    Philia – Affectionate, Friendly Love. ...
    Storge – Unconditional, Familial Love. ...
    Agape – Selfless, Universal Love. ...
    Ludus – Playful, Flirtatious Love. ...
    Pragma – Committed, Long-Lasting Love. ...
    Philautia – Self Love.

• There are several folks from here I've met and absolutely love and adore with my heart and my head to the fullest. Not as easy to make those kind of connections as adults, and I am very grateful to know them

• Oh, @pmvines I never knew you felt that way about me! swoon 😉

~ Sunset Snuggles

• I find hate keeps things platonic. So yeah, I have hate crushes. I hate you for liking your so much.

• @KozyKim Oh, she IS a hoot! She reminded my of my own daughter when she was about that age... young kids really appreciate when adults sit down and talk with them in actual conversations, and I enjoy being able to talk about what they are passionate about. I was able to have a 30min conversation with her about My Little Pony (thanks to watching them with my own daughter, now an adult), and even watched a couple of episodes together, having little discussions afterward about why it was so important that a lesson was learned in each... I thought it was funny that her parents (my friends) were apologetic that she was 'monopolizing my time', but I told them she was probably very excited to be able to talk to someone other than her sisters (both teens) or her parents that was genuinely interested in what she had to say. It also gave them to ability to finish preparing dinner, so it was a 'win-win' all around... LOL

• @jaswbrown That's adorable.

~ Sunset Snuggles

• I've been thinking about this and I think it's probably fair to say I have a crush on all professional cuddlers in general, and those I've cuddled with in particular.

• I just had a thought that reminded me of this thread. Actually i sat down for a cocktail and a local spot that i rarely frequent, the bartender knew what i wanted to drink and asked if i wanted a slice of chocolate cake because i had it months ago. I’m looking at her different now, i crush a lot.

• I think so.
    I kind of describe it as right before we cuddle, we both just need it. We're both ecstatic that we're doing this and we both know it's going to be great.
    We look forward to what it is, not other peripheral junk that messes cuddling up. No stresses, no worries, just trust and touch and calm and goodness.

• edited May 2022

Should I not be telling them I have platonic crushes on them and miss the heck out of them? 🙈 iv always been prone to platonic and sometimes romantic crushes on people.. I think it happens more when im lonely and is more about my need for human connection .. plus some people are just awesome human beings and I just get exited when I find these people! Usually if the person is open and mentally mature enough I just tell them .. and if were cuddle buddys were already close and they already know if there's creep vibes or if your just a open person into sharing feelings.

• @CozyWolfy 💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯☺️

The only difference with me is that I don’t know how to express with words, I do it with acts … I will never be as brave as you in saying it 🫢🙊

I grew up not being told I was loved or feelings of affection… my mom would show it by making us our favorite meals / doing acts / & always being there for others …

Today I am this way, I show it by doings acts / forever being there / supporting a project or something someone may be having going on that I care for … its a million % easier for me to express love through a keyboard ⌨️ text 📱…

• @cuddles_ndream Have you taken the Love Languages quiz? Sounds like you express through Acts of Service more than Words of Affirmation.

~ Sunset Snuggles

• @SunsetSnuggles Ive taken the Briggs personality test, but not the love language quiz , wasn’t aware of it … curious what it would say : )

• @cuddles_ndream I'll start a thread with the test so everyone can share their results.

~ Sunset Snuggles

• @SunsetSnuggles I'll bet you it's acts of service as well.