Share some Nuggets of Knowledge or Trivia

[Deleted User]Btown (deleted user)

Mattel, the USA's largest toy maker started out in a Hawthorne, California garage owned by Ruth and Elliot Handler in 1945. Their first items were picture frames and doll house furniture. First year sales reached $100,000. The name came from co-founders Matt Matson and Elliot Handler. Mattel's first big hit was a miniature plastic ukulele dubbed the Uke-A-Doodle in 1947.
You can tell its swell, it's Mattel.

Comments

• Pickles are cucumbers. 😐

~ Sunset Snuggles

• [Deleted User]Zundar (deleted user)

To follow-up what @SunsetSnuggles said, cucumbers are fruit, which also technically means pickles are fruit or at least a fruit product. Chili peppers are also fruit, sounds like it could make for a very interesting but maybe not so appetising fruit salad.

• The first item ever sold on eBay was a broken laser pointer.

• @Zundar @SunsetSnuggles - Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing to not put it in fruit salad 😂

• @JohnR1972 and Charisma is selling people a tomato filled fruit salad.

• Legos were invented in Denmark.
    Vodka is made from potatoes
    Elton Johns real name is Reginald Dwight.
    David Bowies real name is David Jones, but one of the Monkees already had this name so he had to change it.
    David Tennant of Doctor Who fames real name is Neil but the bloke from the Pet Shop Boys has that name, so. .

• TSA does not check for weed. Not their job.

• @Btown what a fabulous thread!!

Red peppers (orange and yellow as well) can be eaten like an apple!

Wait... Maybe that's an opinion.

double wait.... maybe its because they are a FRUIT!!!

wait....? Now I'm confused

• [Deleted User]Btown (deleted user)

Pluto, though having the characteristics of a Bloodhound, is actually a mixed breed mutt. I am not sure what Goofy is.

• Gravity is not a bitch. She’s just clingy.

• Who was the first president to fly?

George Washington went up in a hot air balloon.

• Peppers and tomatoes have nicotine in them

• ~ Sunset Snuggles

• There are more tropical penguins than arctic, though we think of them primarily as cold weather creatures

• @JohnR1972 I came across a version of that the other day:

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Philosophy is wondering if that makes tomato ketchup a smoothie.
    Common sense is understanding that it isn't.

@Sillysassy true. But then anything can be eaten like an apple if you're brave enough. Or daft enough.

• @CuddleDuncan So true, I worked with a girl whose mom regularly ate onions like an apple. Whaaaat?!

~ Sunset Snuggles

• While in prison, Ed Kemper, the Co-Ed Killer, voiced many audiobooks, including Star Wars and Flowers In the Attic.

• @SunsetSnuggles yeah I've heard of that. Youch!

• [Deleted User]Btown (deleted user)

No where in the Bible does it specify there was three wise men.

• Palm trees grow in coastal southwestern Scotland due to the Gulf Stream.

• If you live on a dead end road you can go one way and go to a dead end or go the other way and go anywhere in the world you want to.

• @MGKelly63 I like that. One sentence that says so much, so well.

• Lobster used to be served to the prisoners at Alcatraz because they were seen as dirty sea roaches, and were so plentiful and easy to harvest

• A very large majority of satanists do not actually believe in satan

• A penny saved really isnt a penny earned

• [Deleted User]tranh002799 (deleted user)
    edited July 2022

Is this true?

• Over the last 9000 years, the country of Greece contained the largest city in Europe for 6000 of those years. Turkey and Ukraine are next with 1000 years each. The other countries combine for only another 1000 of the years.

• Scientists can build rooms called anechoic chambers that are the quietest places on Earth with an ambient sound level of -9 decibels which is about 40 orders of magnitude quieter than the typical room. Not only is it isolated from the outside but has sound absorbing foam on the inside. After some adjustment, you can start to hear a faint, throbbing noise which is the sound of the blood moving through your veins. When you speak, your voice is muffled because you are used to hearing the sound of your voice reflected from surfaces. When you walk around, you become disoriented because you subconsciously use reflected sound to orient yourself and, without it, your eyes and ears contradict each other. Eventually your grow nauseated and have to leave the room in less than 30 minutes.

• @tranh002799 Pretty sure that's 100% Dave Barry fiction. Although I might enjoy reading that book!

• @dave31415 That's really interesting.