I hate mornings

I have never been a morning person; I am not necessarily a night owl, either; I have the most energy in the afternoons and evenings. In the mornings, I am not as nice of a person as I am the rest of the day. I am much less likely to mince my words and more likely to ignore texts and emails, especially the long ones, and generally lack social graces. I'm also tired and cognitively sluggish and far more likely to oversleep and be late to appointments scheduled in the morning. This is why I work for myself and do not meet with clients before noon. Working a 9-5 or 8-5 is torture via sleep deprivation.

Who else hates mornings? Have you adapted your life around your inability to function in the morning, or do you just struggle and suffer? What is your relationship with the morning? How do you cope?

FUN FACT: People who are neurodivergent often have delayed circadian rhythms. 75% of people with ADHD have a delayed circadian rhythm
Source: (http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6487490/ "https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6487490/ ")

1. What is your stance on mornings?69 votes
    1. I hate mornings and I designed my life so I can avoid them.
      28.99%
    2. I hate mornings and I have to suffer through them.
      37.68%
    3. I love mornings!
      33.33%

Comments

• I am trying, slowly, step by step - inch by inch, to become more accepting of mornings. :#

• I used to hate them but not anymore. It's the time I'm most awake and have the most energy for reading and memorizing.

• I am exactly like you! I have also recently found out I went undiagnosed as ADHD as a kid… interesting to see there is a relationship…

With that said I force myself to wake up early even if all I do is sit on my phone. That way by time work comes about, I am awake and more agreeable lol I have also found it helps me control a routine for sleep as well.

• I read this and the song "I don't like Mondays" immediately popped into my head.

• I do what I can to make it bearable: a hearty breakfast and some hot water w honey...and I get as much sleep as possible to avoid the suckyness.

I'm also a total night owl... not a @GreatHornedOwl tho. Those are vicious! 🦉

• Enjoying the early morning quietness, not with work, just to myself has been a great way for me to find early mornings the best part of the day. Especially stepping out on the grass to feel the morning dew with the sounds of the the early birds makes it relaxing time.

• I got a prescription for Modafinil, which makes waking up at awful-thirty-in-the-morning bearable.

• Morning is okay. Evening is okay. Middle of the night is okay. Afternoon, though, that's when I really want a long nap.

• ya mornings suck. i highly recommend getting blackout curtains so your sleep won't be negatively affected by the sunlight in the morning. Luckily what I do allows me to not have to wake up early everyday. when it gets dark, my mind just completely wakes up. It's like my mind is clear and I can finally see. Sometimes I have to take melatonin supplement to fall asleep at night. my guess is ADHD people's ancestors were night hunters or night security guards for the tribe.

• I hate mornings! I'm for sure a night person but sadly I drive a cement truck so I have to suffer through it and wake up anywhere from 4am-6am.

• I LOVE mornings. But even if your not a morning fan, I think we can all agree morning cuddles are 😍

• I don’t mind mornings if I had really great rest. Lol But other than that ehh.. I feel like such a slug.

@roykent Every time I see your name it reminds me of Ted Lasso :)

• Mornings are when I’m the most productive. I love the mornings. I usually go to bed early. By the end of the day, I’m usually pretty tired.

• Being as my sensitivity to sunlight grew with me, by my teens I was consistently nocturnal. No thank you, throwing up and passing out, I'll just draw the curtains on that morning sun and go to bed....

As a side note, my circadian rhythm is definitely delayed. Fairly helpful, in my case! It means that every so often I can put on dark glasses and a big hood and go shopping without falling asleep.

• Absolutely a nightowl.

If mornings started at noon I'd consider it.

I can function when necessary in the morning or regular business hours. But I have structured my life, job and activities to the nocturnal hours.

I really do miss the 24 hr grocery stores though.

• [Deleted User]HedgehogHugs (deleted user)

@DaringSprinter how do you feel about garlic? Silver? Mirrors?

Joking aside, that sounds horrendous.

• @KamikaziNinja86 Rough job! But I bet it's a decent living.

• @HedgehogHugs: A joke I've made myself on numerous occasions! It helps that I'm ridiculously pale and kind of anemic. Also very young-looking for my age. Hmm....

The jokes are really the only upside. Well, that and the fact that graveyard shifts tend to pay more.

(As a side note, I think garlic is delicious. I'll eat it plain.)

• I love mornings! Definitely a morning person!! I eat, train jiujitsu, take clients all before noon!

• @cylee1180 it's most definitely a good living. But I'm pretty zombiesk until atleast 11 or 12, lol. 😂

• @KamikaziNinja86 Oof! Hopefully you can enjoy your days off!

• @cylee1180 I usually do, especially when I have sone cuddles lined up. I so wanted cuddles this week but I've splurged this past month on bunches of cuddles... I might still reach out to 1 of my cuddlers and see if they're available... God why's cuddling got to be so addictive😂

• @KamikaziNinja86 True. Cuddling is one of the best things on Earth.

• @SolidStella Do you compete in jiu jitsu?

• Morning represents peace, quiet, and hope. In the morning you can be naive to thing you will have the most productive day ever. I am so energetic and positive in the morning! You are brought back down to earth by afternoon, and by night you are refreshed once more as you look forward to free te filled with food, shows, messages, and reading.

• [Deleted User]Moxytocin (deleted user)

I can go with the flow mostly, depending on other life circumstances. I like late nights after everyone's in bed, but watching the sunrise outside with a cup of coffee when no one else is up yet is also really nice. I think I just like my alone time. But if you're truly a night person forcing yourself to be a morning person, I think it can have negative effects on you in the same way as when an introvert feels like they have to force themselves to be an extrovert because extroverts are the "normal" ones.

• @Moxytocin - True. I tried the whole wake up at 430am thing. For years. Terrible idea. In the end, I just wanted more structure, discipline, and freedom in my day to day life, which I developed without the whole 430 thing.

Night time is peaceful to me. No phone calls, no rushing around, no errands, and my mind is sharper, my head is clearer, and I'm more creative.

• @Moxytocin It's nice to see another unapologetically introverted introvert out there! I really don't like how everything is built around extrovertedness either!

• If I'm up in the morning, it is because I've not been to sleep after my shift yet, or because I have a morning appointment. LOL. I hate mornings. 😁

• I have never been a morning person. I've built my life to allow me to sleep until at least 9:30 am. It's just better that way.