Anyone learning new skills or hobbies currently?

[Deleted User]SnuggleSuz (deleted user)

A friend gave me an archery lesson today. I've been wanting to learn to bow hunting. Afterwards I taught her how to juggle.

Curious anyone learning new skills or hobbies currently?

Comments

• @SnuggleSuz I've done archery once and had a blast. Been meaning to do it again - even joined a meetup group. I feel it would be a good time to clear my head and fire at targets outside.

Skills I would like to learn: survival skills/bushcraft, investing, and playing Go.

• [Deleted User]Zundar (deleted user)

Currently self-teaching some clay sculpting/figure making for the sake of making Christmas presents for my sister, brother in law, and their dog.

• edited October 2022

I took up boxing last year and have been training with a trainer 7 days a week since, though currently I am healing from an injury.

I'm looking for a piano teacher as it's something I've always wanted to learn.

EDIT

I really admire people who can make things that bridge people together like music, art, or food. It's always those moments when people are spontaneously sharing in these things that we are seemingly most connected, like someone playing a piano in an airport or cooking food at a block party.

• white water kayaking ... when I can get out on the water.

• I recently took up guitar again. I used to play in my teens.

I also starting taking a drawing class. So far I'm utterly terrible. Haha!

• I've been teaching myself how to sculpt for a couple of years. I've gotten really good at it.

• I'm teaching myself how to do stick and poke tattoos (on myself)... I have a loooong ways to go though because I haven't figured out how to acheive consistency in lines, or dots, or circles, or anything else yet ~ lol

• I'm learning about coaching. There are three groups training for a 5K Spartan race with 20 obstacles next year. In our first meeting I was placed in group A, which is for experienced or current runners. In our second group meeting, I was placed with group B and C members and taught them... how to run. Warm up exercises. Form. Pacing. Form. Practice that form. We did a two mile run with lots of walk/run/rests, and no one died. #winning

• I was big into the arts between 10 - 13 and once I started high school I kinda left it behind … would love to have the free time and pick up some arts and would love to learn the guitar 🎸 / saxophone 🎷

• [Deleted User]SnuggleSuz (deleted user)

@cylee1180 I also want to learn bushcraft! I actually recently purchased a book about bushcrafting. I also have been studying investing currently with a current focus in tax leins and deeds, as well as long term crypto. A meet up for archery is a great idea I am going to take a look on meet up and see what is near me. I am unsure what 'playing Go' is, but I love games in general.

@Zundar Sculpting for Christmas gifts is a wonderful idea! Sounds like fun

@tacpmurg Wow training 7 days a week! That is commitment. Hope your inury heals quickly. Yes I also admire when people are able to connect with music. I have dabbled a bit with ukulele but am not musically skilled currently but would love to learn to play many instruments. I do cook and have connected in groups cooking with people which is very enjoyable and rewarding. I have volunteered with a group called food not bombs which is an anarchist group who feeds anyone that is hungry for free. I voluntered with food not bombs in various places while traveling. Great way to meet people and give back along the journey.

@TNNative Wow white water kayaking sounds so thrilling!! I would love to get an alpacka packraft. Definitely the top of my wish list currently.

• @SnuggleSuz - Wow cool! I'm focusing on budgeting and retirement for now, but learning about taxes and insurance too. Go is a 2 person board game in which you place one piece on the board per turn on an intersection. The object it to surround as much board space as possible, where you earn points for every intersection you enclose.

• I'm moving out for the first time, the flat was completely empty and in some need of renovating. So I'm learning and getting practical on that, as well as honing my skills on interior design. It's fun! 😃

• Archery is what I wanna learn next. It’s so fun!

• I am attempting to learn to play the Piano.

• @SnuggleSuz I love archery! I've been getting better and better at axe throwing. I've learned that throwing two-handed is best for me. I just can't keep it straight throwing one-handed. 😅

@cylee1180 that game looks like a lot of fun! I love strategy board games

@bekah_cuddles I did axe throwing once while in Mt Shasta it was a lot of fun!

• I'm trying to learn how to skateboard 🤷

• Trying to teach myself the drums. So far keeping time with a metronome puts me to sleep…guess it’s still a win 🤣

• I picked up partner dancing at my local ballroom. It really has helped with being touch starve and needed positive and creative interactions in my life. All of the ballrooms, Latin rythyms, swings, country line, tap, ballet, hip hop, kpop, burlesque, and belly dancing. So many styles and different movements, love this new dance life of mine!

I highly encourage everyone to get up and dance!

• Yes for sure! Sounds like a dream come true. It's exciting to break into something new like that. What kind of partnered dancing? Do you hope to try the other styles? I'm actually learning tap. Take tap :) So much fun and expressiveness!

• I’m learning tractor work, after my 2nd time retiring I bought my 1st tractor. I’m on a 2K mile road trip playing with my new toy. Doing work for family and friends and even getting some great cuddle time in, life is great !!!

• Precision machining at work.

• @waynewv Very cool. Be careful using those big toys.

• @ModestEnvy my brother learned how to play the drums from playing the game Rock Band on Xbox 😂 now he’s in multiple bands and plays live shows!

• @Charlie_Bear …no way! Really? 😆 that’s awesome! My PlayStation went kaput a while back from too much minecraft, so I can no longer continue my Guitar Hero career.
    🤣😢
    But now I have high hopes for myself on the real set I have! 😆🤗

• @cylee1180 i used to love go! Had a phase in hs where I played that and chess a ton. Didn't get very good though haha.

As for the op question! I've been trying to break into the tech industry by learning how to code. I'm trying to decide where in web development I want to go into, and am self teaching myself a few programming languages like Python and Javascript! It's very gratifying so far.