Crying during cuddling

Anyone ever have someone cry while cuddling? Or you cry yourself?

I was cuddling with someone recently (not on this site). And after about 10 minutes I heard them sniffling, thought it was just nasal congestion or something. Then it became more, and she started apologizing. I was confused for a few minutes before she started obviously crying and I realized she was crying. Then I just kept reassuring her it was ok, holding her closer, and what was supposed to be just 30-60 minutes of cuddling turned into several hours. She stopped crying after about 30 minutes. And just to be sure I wasn't doing anything, I verified that she was ok, and asked if she wanted me to stay several times, and she was always affirmative in that I'm ok. At the end, we just shared a long hug.

Asked if she wanted to talk about it. She didn't seem interested, so I didn't pry. But just goes to show you that you never know the impact you can have on someone by something as simple as holding them in your arms.

Comments

• It sounds like she really needed those cuddles. I haven't experienced that yet, but I can certainly understand it, especially if someone hasn't received any touch or affection in a long time. Cuddling usually provides a safe space for people to be vulnerable, and a simple embrace could bring about a cathartic release of emotions.

• It's quite common. The experience you describe has happened to me with several different people, some of them more than once. Sometimes they have absolutely no idea why they are crying.

I've never had a really good sob myself, but that's another problem. I do, ahem, get something in my eye sometimes.

• Awe I love this already! These stories are so touching!

• I have experienced this only with one client and I was a little caught off guard because that never happened to me before but they explained why they cried and it was a good release for them. I was happy to know that I could really get them to that comfort. This is off subject a little even though I never cried during a cuddle but I have during a meditation when I recently joined yoga and I'm not talking about just a little sniffle it was full out tears, I felt so much better afterwards. I do yoga ones a week and it happens every time.

• [Deleted User]BClarkIV (deleted user)

You NEVER know what "demons and devils" someone is battling! Their interaction with you could make all the difference in whether or not they jump off the ledge or get off the ledge and keep going.

• Yes, I have experienced this a few times. I hold them and do not ask why, but rather hold space and assure them that I am here for support if needed.

• Yes, I have had clients cry or get emotional. I’m glad they can feel comfortable enough to release those emotions with me. That’s what I’m there for. 😊

• I've done energy healing as well as whole space for people. A long time before I found out about cuddle parties.

I remember I was at my second cuddle party when somebody just felt safe enough to open up and their tears started to flow. I wasn't sure what to do so I just sat there as they leaned into me. I made sure they felt comfortable and supported. It was an amazing experience.

• It's comforting to hear everyone seems to be taking crying while cuddling so well. I've never cried while cuddling but I can imagine how relieving it could be.

• [Deleted User]BeardedSnuggy (deleted user)

This is a common occurrence for me. I personally enjoy having the ability to provide that safe space for someone. And for a person to feel safe and vulnerable enough to have that moment with themselves in my presence...So they can process or let go of whatever they need to in that moment.

I just hold/cuddle them, and rock them, and hug them. It's a very mutually great experience :)