Thinking of starting a baking business

[Deleted User]Emerald20772 (deleted user)

As the title states, I’m thinking of starting a baking business. I love to bake and it warms my heart when I serve my baked goods to family and friends and they rave about it. It’s also quite satisfying, especially since I myself have a sweet tooth. Here are some pics for reference.

PS: I’m not sure how to get started when it comes to starting the baking business. 😅

Comments

• [Deleted User]Emerald20772 (deleted user)

From top to bottom:
    -apple cobbler
    -French toast casserole
    -cinnamon roll French toast casserole
    -Christmas themed vanilla sheet cake
    -banana pudding
    -banana pudding cupcakes
    -oreo cake
    -4th of July themed vanilla cupcakes

• Type, "How to start a baking business" into Google.

Good luck! (With the business, not the Google search.... The Google search is gonna be fine, really.)

• Looks very delicious. I wish you well in your endeavor. I don't know anything about starting a business. I would probably start on Google and do a bunch of different questions. The first thing to do when starting a business. Is there free financial aid for starting a business. Stuff like that. Are there any kind of business Mentor sites.

Good luck.

• I don’t eat baked goods but those photos make me want to reconsider my dietary choices - looks delicious.

• I will volunteer for quality control taste tester 🤤

• 🤣🤣🤣KamikaziNinja86

• When starting a business that sells food, be prepared to contend with a lot of red tape. Have you decided on answers to some of the fundamental questions. If not, take some time to answer them before you do anything else.

How much money will you need. Do you have enough, or will you need a small business loan?

Will you work out of your home, or apartment, or a rented facility. If an apartment, will your lease allow it? If your home or apartment, will zoning laws allow it?

How will you go about selling/advertising your product?

• edited November 2022

You should definitely go for it!! Think of a name, and also think of a design for your brand, make a new ig & Twitter … (make sure the name is available on both) and have the name & the design as your avi on both. so much more but start here.

Edit: people fall in love with a story, they also like engagement ect, so it doesn’t matter that you start with 1 customer, … feel free and pm me whenever you like & I’ll share things I know.

• I want the first 3 right now!

• edited November 2022

@Emerald20772 I would say for funding, there are two of many options you can try:

• https://www.kiva.org/pgtmp/home - crowd funded loans backed by loan companies w 0% interest if paid back within a year. You can donate or request loans. There will be a round where your friends and family contribute , and once it meets a quota the business idea goes public on the site and anyone can contribute including randos around the world or anyone seeing your social media post.

Another way could be a gofundme. This is a non-loan and would involve pple contributing to meet a set fundraising goal. It would be helpful to draw up a basic business plan and maybe reading a few books. Suggestions would be:

• Blue Ocean Strategy
    • Tools for Titans
    • I have read this but: The Power of Why by Simon Sinek

If you set one of those things up, I'll be your first donor.

• Looks delicious! I think it’s a great idea!

• edited November 2022

First off, your food looks delicious. But making good food and running a good business are two entirely different things. The classic restaurant example is the chef who feels he isn't getting his due from the owners of a restaurant. So he decides to start his own. But instead of being just concerned with things in the kitchen, he now has to deal with licenses, taxes, landlords, employees, sick time, pensions, scheduling, maintenance, inventory, advertising, website, competition, unhappy customers, customers who walk out without paying, etc. That might be more than a good chef bargained for.

There was a storyline on Grey's Anatomy a few years ago about a surgeon who became head of the surgery department but hated it because he was spending less time doing surgery and much more time on reports and paperwork.

Now, admittedly what I think you have in mind is a lot less complicated than running a restaurant, and if you have in mind simply selling to friends, then maybe following common sense rules is enough. But if you are going to sell to the general public, even in a small way, then make sure you are following all the rules for running a bakery in your area. At a minimum, I'm thinking of licensing, labeling requirements, and insurance (just in case). One disgruntled member of the general public can make your life miserable.

If you want to grow a little larger a Google search will give you some idea of what you are facing. But aside from the general business rules and suggestions, here are two ideas:

1. Partner with someone else who knows about running a business even if they know nothing about baking. Let them do all that boring work.
    2. Rather than selling directly to people who intend to eat what you make, sell to local restaurants and coffee shops. You might also consider selling to small local markets although that would likely involve packaging.

Or do both.

Good luck

• Can you please door dash, this looks amazing 😀🤤

• Yay! Another bakery in MD - maybe? 😉 Good luck if you decide to move forward with it, Hon! 🫂 I've seen lots of good advice in this thread.

• Sounds and looks delicious! Good luck on your adventure!