I think low-key hand and shoulder touch is super underrated

As a cuddling enthusiast and lover of platonic touch, some of my favorite moments of human physical interaction have been moments when someone cupped my hand or put their hand on my shoulder even for a second. I think those moments often do a good job showing how much one cares and almost always feel super warm and emotional in spite of their "low-key" nature, and in my opinion, we should emphasize such "low/key" touch much more in cuddling, whether professional or mutual in nature. Maybe even in everyday interactions too since very non-taboo!

I think the awesomeness of hand and shoulder touch relates to an important principle in cuddling that understands the importance of restraint and even deprivation whereby the imagination fills in the blanks after one is given a taste of physical affection... the joy of cuddling is as much in the mind as it is literally in the body after all. The momentary and limited nature of a held hand or grasped shoulder via their restraint as gestures... but also via the suggestion of possibles... can inspire waves of warm fuzzy feelings in the imagination that tingle throughout the body as well as the appendage of contact and be as satisfying as some of the more involved cuddling positions.

This may just be my experience, however. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• I like this but it’s something I’d expect between two people who aren’t cuddling. Something of a chance occurrence that sparks the imagination. A brush encounter. But when cuddling is so close I think those touches you mention enhance it rather than by themselves spark a thought since so much more closeness is flooding the senses at the same time.

I think the beginning moments though may spark those things. I agree the delicate nature of that kind of touch can mean a lot down the line.

• These would be the type of touches I would give in regards to showing support for somebody. I know pretty well. Especially the hand on the shoulder. To me it signifies that you're letting them know that you are there for them.

• Hand holding 🤤

• I know exactly what you mean, I've had people pat me on the shoulder before and for some reason it felt really really good. For being around people as much as we are, we really barely interact.

• I love shoulder pats for sure! Interestingly enough, I don't care quite as much for a pat on the top of my middle back, perhaps due to the different social connotation (at least in the USA) that views that act as less affectionate and mutual and instead more so formal and paternalistic ("a pat on the back" for completing some task).

One of my favorite touches, however, would be a sustained hand, like open palm resting there, on the top of my middle back, maybe for 7 seconds or more... especially if there are temperature differences between the back and hand!

• I definitely touch shoulders and hands in my cuddles. Hand massages are a go to for me in my sessions. As for shoulders, I'll big spoon but wrap my arm up and around them and hold their chest/ shoulder tightly like a back bear hug/cling on and just hold it firmly. ☺️🤗

• Holding hands in public is my favorite form of touch