Would anyone like to share something about themselves?

Comments

• *looks around*
  • Wow, so many powerful stories. Thank you all for sharing. 

Something about myself? Apparently, I don't like sharing things about myself. In my ASL class, we have to tell personal stories every week and I'm usually tempted to make something up (my professor tells me it has to be a true story anytime I ask if it can be fiction). The hardest story to tell was about our happiest day ever, I've had lots of happy days but none of them were the happiest. 

So, I guess without getting too deep, here's some stuff about me: 
    I was born in Texas. My birth certificate is handwritten because there was no typist at the hospital on the day I was born. My family moved every two to four years. To date, the longest I've lived in a city was 6 years, which was Olympia, WA where I lived for my BA and thought I'd spend the rest of my life. 
    I love animals. I play a couple different instruments. I love biking, HIIT, and weight lifting. I'm conversationally fluent in ASL and Spanish. I'm a student of social work and one day hope to do mental health and homeless outreach. I'm working on opening a small confectionary business, which would always be a side business because my heart lies in social work/teaching/mental health. 

In another life, I would be an OBGYN or Midwife. Pregnancy, birth, sexual health, and women's health are huge passions of mine.

again, thank you to everybody who was willing to delve deep. I feel badly that I didn't go further out of my comfort zone to tell you all about myself.  
  • I think your post is awesome freckledcuddles. :)

• [Deleted User]Dekooning (deleted user)
    @Freckledcuddles: your post is appreciated!
    I have lost 130 pounds so far.  More will fall.
  • Guess I don't know how to post a picture from my desktop.
  • How did you do it, @Buck ?
  • I used to try to lose fast.  I could drop 20 quickly but put 30 back on.  I decided about five years ago that I was not going to rush myself.  I need to live and have fun along the way if it truly is a change in lifestyle.  Remind myself with rules.

* Rule 1. Be okay with who you are and the skin you are in.
    * Rule 2. If you get on the scale and no loss this week, it's fine as long as you didn't gain.
    * Rule 3. Cut out soda and most carbs.
    * Rule 4. This year started out with 1200 calories, now 1600 calories a day.
    * Rule 5. Reward yourself: Wednesday is a cuddle day to celebrate 130 down.
    * Rule 6. Keep a picture of before on the fridge at home and at work.  LOL

For others starting to lose weight.  If you drop 5 or 10 pounds, carry that much around while grocery shopping.  You will soon see just how much two sacks of sugar feel like in the crook of your arm.

When you lose one pound, think of it this way, each pound you lose takes 4 pounds of pressure off of your knees.

• Sometimes I just don't feel right. Not sure how to describe it. Its like there is a baseline of some kind of blackness that's living in me.
  • @pmvines maybe it's just gas?
  • [Deleted User]Unknown (deleted user)
     When you feel that blackness inside of you late at night just make up three new nicknames for me and tell me in the morning. ;) And then do one of the meditations that @Brandi posts. Omg she is my sleep guru now!  It's incredible how I pass out. Love! ❤️
    @Buck that is awesome. What an accomplishment to be so self motivated and reach your goal!
    @buck
    if my cardiologist tells me too , i will loose 40 pounds . He says it will naturally lower my blood pressure and he is correct ,
    and yes I can drink only water and eat beans to do it , ( hard time loosing the coffee) ( the 7-11 big gulps are bad )
    once I get to my desirable BMI , it's very hard to force the weight down past that .
    that is where I linger for a month or so , and then slowly it gets out back on
  • [Deleted User]VIPirate (deleted user)
    Congratulations, Buck! That's one hell of an awesome accomplishment. We should all be so fortunate to reach our goals. :)
  • Thanks for the kind words.  I still have more to go.  I will always be a work in progress.  I'm okay with that.
    edited May 2017
    I've been published on the Public Agency Training Council website (paper on DNA), in creative writing publications, and in two newspapers (features). I write poetry when I get inspired, and my writing is influenced by Rilke and e.e. cummings, with a dash of Emily Dickinson. Also, I can kill you with my brain. #Firefly #KeepFlying
  • I lost 30 pounds since last year and I noticed sleeping is easier.   Used to blame my crappy mattress which did make it worse. But amazingly sleep doesn't cause back pains like it did before.   
    I hope I'm never gain it back.  
    edited May 2017
    Good job, @greenearth! Life is so much easier when you're healthy, isn't it? :)

And hugs to all the rest on the weight-loss and/or health journey. Especially @Buck--you've got it xown to a science!

@pmvines I think if you meet the darkness inside, you will find out what it needs to become the light; it's a sign you're not going in the best direction for You. Could even mean you're deficient in Vitamin D--literally, what comes from the light! But it *doesn't* mean you're defective! :)
  • Everyone here is so amazing!  I love all of the stories and sharing of personal experiences!  You are all such blessings! HUGE HUG!!!! 
  • Hugs all around
  • I have a hard time being emotionally honest with myself
     I am way too emotionally honest with other people, and sometimes that leaves me extraordinarily vulnerable.  
  • I have this inner monologue that wants me to walk away from everything and everyone and sometimes I have a hard time fighting it
  • edited May 2017
    Hi everyone, 

I'm new here and just found this discussion group. I believe it's important and nice to share and I hope it will make me feel better by telling others about myself. 

I'm a stage IV esophageal cancer survivor, spent several weeks at ground zero after the World Trade Center attack. I have ebdured many long term relationships, two of which led to engagements but never marriage and unfortunately, I never had a child. 

I work a lot. In fact, more than I should but it helps pass the time and who can't use extra money. Plus I live alone so it helps me to fight the feeling of loneliness. However, I do have two German Shepherds who are a handful but I can't imagine my life without them. 

Next Friday I'm going to embark on a new adventure of seeing my first cuddle partner who appears to be so sweet but of course, being new to this, I feel a little awkward since I'm not used to holding and snuggling with a stranger. Hopefully that will change over time, especially if we continue with sessions and mutual trust begins to develop. 

Anyway, I just thought I would contribute and share. Thank yuo for starting this discussion and I'm glad to be an active part of it. Wishing all of you a great day and a happy and safe Memorial Day. 
  • I spent a year in prison but it was not for something really bad.  I got caught with some drug paraphernalia that my roommate left in my car.   Ofcourse the cops didn't believe me. 

• Wow, very interesting to see so many people with disabilities! It makes a lot of sense, though. I have had Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, for two years. I have to be in bed a lot and it's very isolating.  I do small things. If I ever recover I would like to be a Paramedic and took an Emergency Medical Responder course this spring. I also rented out my house for Airbnb. My condition means if I exercise I experience pain and extreme fatigue the next few days. If were healthy the first thing I would do is climb the Appalachian trail. I adore nature and animals and deeply regret that I didn't realize how wonderful it is to have a healthy, vibrant body, and that I didn't take advantage of it. Of course, this all complicates dating and sex as there are so many layers: illness, unemployment, and of course my weird personality ☺️. Cuddling with someone who won't take advantage of me sounds very nice right now. 
  • In the, "Lays, name the potato chip contest," I entered a flavor called, Simon Says.   Flavors include, parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme. 
  • @buck I suppose those chips were  a big hit in... I don't know . Scarborough Fair? 
  • I have pretty good genes, since my mom is now 98.  I plan to live to be at least 120, and maybe to 150.  I've known that I would ever since I was a little kid, and I've never lost that goal.  This is despite the fact that my diet, by most people's standards, is a very poor one.  I am allergic to chlorophyll, and dairy, but my body has always made the best use of whatever nutrition it gets, and I have what I consider to be an exceptional immune system.
    ♥Jim