Favorite video game console generation

edited February 2023 in General

Hello cuddle friends. Since I am a big video game nerd, I am curious what your favorite generation of video game consoles is. And if you don’t mind commenting, which console (and game) was/is your favorite?

This poll doesn’t include PC and Handhelds, but that could be a separate poll if anyone votes in this.

EDIT: Welp, editing the title deleted the poll. I’m gonna have to make it again, sorry! Also the dates are mostly based off the Japanese release dates since they usually got consoles first, though I am using the US names for the consoles.

1. What is your favorite console generation?47 votes
    1. First (1972+) [Includes Magnavox Odyssey, Atari Pong, Coleco Telstar series]
        2.13%
    2. Second (1976+) [Includes Fairchild Channel F, Atari 2600, Mattel Intellivision, ColecoVision]
        4.26%
    3. Third (1983+) [Includes Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Master System, Atari 7800]
        6.38%
    4. Fourth (1987+) [Includes TurboGrafx-16, Sega Genesis, Neo Geo, Super Nintendo Entertainment System]
      25.53%
    5. Fifth (1993+) [Includes Sega Saturn, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo 64]
      17.02%
    6. Sixth (1998+) [Includes Sega Dreamcast, Sony PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, Microsoft Xbox]
      27.66%
    7. Seventh (2005+) [Includes Microsoft Xbox 360, Sony PlayStation 3, Nintendo Wii]
      10.64%
    8. Eighth (2012+) [Includes Nintendo Wii U, Sony PlayStation 4, Microsoft Xbox One]
        4.26%
    9. Ninth (2017+) [Includes Nintendo Switch, Microsoft Xbox Series X/S, Sony PlayStation 5]
        2.13%

Comments

• May favorite would have to be the fourth generation. My favorite game on Sega Genesis was Shining Force 2 and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on the Super Nintendo.

• By far the best generation was the fourth! Even though the TurboGrafx wasn’t as popular as the genesis or the super Nintendo, it had some really good games, and when they made the CD attachment for it, the cut scenes that some of the games had were just amazing for it’s time!

My personal favorite would’ve been the Sega genesis though I loved shining force one and two. I love the streets of rage golden axe alien storm game ground. The 32X attachment had some of the best parts of space Harrier and afterburner. The Sega cd was OK. I still like the version of final fight on it.

As far as the Neo Geo is concerned, what’s not to love it was like the arcade experience at home. It was super awesome!

And then last, but not least the super Nintendo you had some of the best versions of Castlevania Metroid, super Mario world super Mario kart Zelda basically had all the classics and then of course you had Final Fantasy three, which is probably one of the best RPG’s of all time!

• The years given are technically correct but possibly a little misleading for people outside Japan - for instance the NES didn't really get going in the US until 1986, and none of the fourth generation systems were released in the US until 1989.

I think for most people the answer to this question will be the same as the answer to the question "What game consoles were you playing when you were 13 years old?"

For me it's 4th generation - mostly SNES, a little Genesis.

• @CuddleWho yeah I was thinking about how to go about the years, and just settled on Japanese release years to make it simple since there are plenty of others outside the US and their respective consoles came out at different times as well.

As for your 13 year old remark, hahaha I originally had something very similar in my initial post but then deleted it because I didn’t want it to affect the answers. That is definitely how I think it will go though 😅

• [Deleted User]Nina_Mitchell (deleted user)

Super Nintendo all the way! Donkey kong, Mario kart, mortal combat, contra 3!

• @Nina_Mitchell I played all of those games soooooooo much! I bet Donkey Kong Country was probably a source of many broken controllers by frustrated games for Nintendo B)

Those rocket barrel levels😂😂😂

• edited February 2023

@lonelytauros @CuddleWho

I accidentally deleted the poll, in case you want to place your vote again

@Nina_Mitchell yes omg, the stress from those and that mine cart level

Ohhhhh I rocked those mine cart levels! My greatest achievement is winning donkey Kong on hard mode on the switch.

• @Nina_Mitchell ok that is seriously impressive! And I have that game backlogged on my switch and I NEED to play it!

No diddy and one heart. Omg 😆

• I like them all, its like different flavors of ice cream in the summer, And I'm the chubby kid. 😌

• @munkg haha me too, it’s almost impossible for me to actually choose, so I have to go with the nostalgia factor. I added a pic to my profile of my gaming setup, which I hope conveys how much I love all generations 😅

• edited February 2023

#PCMasterRace

• @tacpmurg Hahaha I was waiting for that 😂 I also have a gaming rig so I’m not just a console pleb 😎

• Sixth because my first console was a PS2. My inner child is a little bias lol.
    I loved Silent Hill 2, Spyro Enter the Dragonfly, Vice City, Dead or Alive 2. Too many. The nostaliga! 🥲

• [Deleted User]QuietCuddler61 (deleted user)

I had a Nintendo system way back in the 80s, but now play all my games on a PC.

• I've been gaming since between the 3rd and 4th gens, but I've always loved my 6th gen combo of PS2/Gamecube. Will probably never be beaten,

• Sega Dreamcast is my favorite because it was built with 4 controller ports, had memory sticks with their own games and had so many great multiplayer games as well as games I didn't mind watching people play solo or playing solo myself. I miss couch co-ops.

• My favorite gen has to be the one with Chrono Trigger in it; no other choice for me but 4, honestly.

• I think the SNES time was the best for consoles. The controller works well for side scrollers and most of the other games released on them then.

Other than that I play games on PC. I don't pay attention to consoles anymore.

• edited February 2023

I loved the original playstation games, had the best soundtrack, and N64! common, so many good games! Golden eye, pod racer, Mario 64 the list goes on.... Nowadays when I want to play games I pretty much only play in VR

• So many good titles out of all these generations. But I think Playstation 1 era I might remember most fondly. 3d graphics just getting mainstream and so many novel titles.

• I have to go with 4th generation. Obviously the newest generations are better but I grew up in the heart of the 4th generation.

I built my own bartop arcade machine from scratch. Bought all the parts, assembled it, wired up all the controllers and everything. And I made my own raspberry Pi computer and loaded it up with over 3000 games. If have all the 70s, 80s and early 90s coin ops plus everything from the 4th generation and below on it. It’s the ultimate game my machine but I must admit my favorite games are the coin-ops. I totally relive my youth playing this stuff. The 2 player control setup exactly mirrors the Street Fighter 2 arcade machine with sanwa joysticks and 6 buttons

• N64 was the most fun I had playing on any console. But it’s hard to argue that the games being made in the last several years don’t have A scope of storytelling and immersion that is truly remarkable.

• @DreamerDee ok, anyone that had the Dreamcast as their fav is an instant win in my book. I loooooved the Dreamcast. Going from SNES and Genesis to PlayStation and N64 was amazing, but then going from those to Dreamcast was mind blowing!

@MrAdmirer yess! I have made many raspberry pi builds for myself and friends, though they were in console form. It is my dream to build and Arcade cabinet! I should definitely start with a mame bartop, and agreed, gen 4 and lower need to be on there as well, or at least the games that play well with arcade controls. That is so awesome!

• 4th and 6th gens are definitely the two I expected to be on top. Not only because of the ages we were at during those times but also because of the major leap forward both of those generations represented.

• All. The advances in technology are wonderful to see as the years go by.

• edited February 2023

@stormydaycuddle right?? Like every launch title was sooo exciting to see! The Super Nintendo blew me away with Super Mario World. Then Mario 64 (and Pilotwings!) made my head explode on the Nintendo 64. Then came Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast, and then Call of Duty 2 on the Xbox 360, Assassin’s Creed Black Flag on the PS4, and while I was not able to get a PS5 day one, Spider-Man Remastered was amazing to see and play! It’s so exciting getting to see the leap in technology every generation. It’s crazy to think growing up that video games were only for nerds. But not playing Final Fantasy III or Chrono Trigger when they came out just makes me feel sorry for the bullies.

• Psp porfavor