What is a movie from your childhood that will never get old?

edited May 2023 in General

What is a movie from your childhood that will never get old? And I mean a movie actually made for kids (ideally rated G, though PG is fine as well). For me it’s The Chipmunk Adventure. I love the songs in that movie so much, even with the high pitched voices 😅 Not sure if it’s cuddle worthy though. I’ll have to find out and I’ll report back.

Comments

• Not very many memorable family movies from the 60s or early 70s but this oddball from 1966 is still fun to watch. Even the style of the movie has been aped.

• Casey's Shadow

• I would say Watership Down. While it contains adult themes, I think it counts as a children's movie. If not, then I'll say The Secret Of N.I.M.H.

• @BoomerSpooner I have only seen snippets of Thunderbirds (though I see where Team America: World Police got its inspiration =) )

@KYtransplant
    I haven't heard of Casey's Shadow, though I will have to watch because Walter Matthau.

@TxTom
    I haven't heard of Watership Down either! I have seen The Secret of NIMH, though it's been a long time. I should go on a Don Bluth binge!

• If I remember correctly, Watership Down has some very violent themes to it. Some schools have banned it.

One of my most favorite Christmas movies is by Rankin and Bass, a year without a Santa Claus.

Winnie the Pooh is another classic I love, as well as Charlie Brown, and the great pumpkin.

• edited May 2023

great cast, great musical numbers and a DRAGON!!! This movie also led to the very first Laserdisc video game, Dragon's Lair. Thank you Don Bluth! Came out same year as Star Wars too. Man, I grew up in such a cool time

• Oh sir, you have come to the right place! 😁 Movies from my childhood hold a very special place in my heart. I'll skip Disney movies, since they're just too obvious. 🙂

I was born in 1986, but as you'll see, I grew up on a lot of older movies.

As requested, I stuck to only G-rated movies. I've indicated the year, where multiple versions exist.

The Black Stallion (1979)
    Misty (1961)
    Black Beauty (1994)
    Thumbelina
    Charlotte's Web (1973)
    The Rescuers Down Under
    The Parent Trap (1961)
    Heidi (1968)
    A Little Princess (1995)

~ Sunset Snuggles

• The Nightmare Before Christmas

• The Goonies!!

• The 80s Transformers movie... which mini me first watched in the 90s. Those were the days I had no concept for what reboots were so I was constantly comparing it to the Transformers cartoon that they had at the time, trying to figure out where this fit in the timeline. I was all like "why does Megatron look different. Why doesn't he transform into his dragon form to fight Optimus?" It was jarring to see the robots actually killing each other versus the show I watched. The movie didn't pull its punches, just because it was a kids movie.

Tbh, that's probably why kid Shake enjoyed it so much lol

• [Deleted User]CharlesInWI (deleted user)

The Goonies.

• Star Wars. I saw it when it first came out and I was but a wee lad. Saw the original over 100 times in theaters (back in the days of 50 cent daytime shows). Far as I'm concerned, it's a kid/family movie.

But if you limit this to only G-rated movies, then I'd say Bedknobs and Broomsticks. That one never gets old.

• Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Christmas!!! I’ve been watching this movie every Christmas season for my entire life, I have 4 copies of it! Still love it!!

• For me the first movie that comes to mind is the Wizard of Oz

• @1_teddybear Hmm good point. I was thinking of movies from my childhood era. When I was a kid and we were stationed for a couple of years in Tucson there was a UHF tv station that played silent movies two days a week. I fell in love with Charlie Chaplin. So anything like Gold Rush, City Lights, The Kid, Limelight, etc.

• Omg, I have 3:

Real Genius
    Nightmare before Christmas
    The Ugly Duckling (I’ll never forget this one lol).

• My all-time favorite (mainstream) movie of my childhood.

• That's an impressive list @SunsetSnuggles

• @Jayre009 😁 Thanks, I actually had to pare it down 'cause I was initially gonna include quite a few PG movies I adore, too.

~ Sunset Snuggles

• @Sunset Snuggles. 🙂 That is a great list! Although I've never actually seen Heidi, so I'll take your word for it. ☺️

• @SunsetSnuggles I’m not gonna be too much of a stickler on the rating. I mainly wanted to avoid people trolling with non kid-friendly movies. I’ll add PG to it.

• My favorite movies from childhood are
    Swiss Family Robinson
    Mary Poppins
    Treasure Island

• @Bear I didn't know Watership Down was banned. That's unfortunate. It's a wonderful, beautiful movie. Even The Secret of N.I.M.H. contains a scene with a knife fight, but I guess violence absent larger social commentary is acceptable to the censors. (And it should be, it's also a good movie.)

@Matt462 Good call. I remember Emmet Otter Jug Band Christmas. I remember how I cringed when he hammered that nail in the bottom of the wash tub.

@Charlie_Bear Well, I guess I was tired when I posted, I somehow misread thread title as being " children's movie from childhood"

• [Deleted User]DaniIsHere (deleted user)

Halloween & Friday The 13th

• I forgot about Riki Tiki Tavi. This was a big favorite when I was a child because you could only watch it whenever it came on. Now it’s easy to view.

• @LonelyTXn74 oh that Mary Poppins reminds me of the other one I loved with Julie Andrews: The Sound of Music.

• edited May 2023

@MrAdmirer Right on there brother with Pete’s Dragon. It’s the first movie I can remember seeing in a theater. That was a big deal back in the day.
    I’m also a big fan of Peter Paul and Mary song, “puff the magic dragon”

• Def the goonies

• FernGully...always a favorite!

• [Deleted User]Mman (deleted user)

Rebel Without A Cause...