Community Quiz #3

What are your thoughts on the 5 second rule?
(Not referring to Mel Robbins book)

when you drop food on the floor and eat it if it's been on The floor for less than 5 seconds, I could have swore some people have said 10 seconds lol.

But to my understanding bacteria attaches to food within 1 second and especially if the floor was wet or the food was moist then yku have even MORE herms attached than a dry.

In the end...Guess it all depends on how hungry you really are or how much you spent

What are everyone's thoughts?

1. Have you ate food off the ground before?41 votes
    1. Yes but I'm ashamed to admit it to anyone thanks goodness for anonymous polls
      14.63%
    2. No that's absolutely disgusting
      19.51%
    3. Yes but depends what type of food I dropped
      65.85%
    4. No but I'm sure if I did I would be fine I would end up in hospital over it
        0.00%

Comments

• I made typos in my original post but if I edit the poll disappears I didn't feel like doing all that lol

• edited June 2023

The bacteria on the floor are the least of the worries, seriously. If the floor is not grimey with debris that will stick to the food, it's likely not an issue. And if it is? Then that's more an aesthetic and mental issue. Our mouths and hands already have FAR more bacteria than most floors, and the acid in our stomachs is likely to kill anything that happens to hop on for a ride. You're unlikely to get food poisoning from eating a bite of food off the floor - more improperly prepared or contaminated food that has a large enough microbe colony to survive the digestive system.

That said, if the idea gives you the heeby jeebies, then don't. I usually won't just because I don't like bits of hair/dust/debris stuck on my food 🤷

• @cuddlefaery I like how you broke that down very interesting point

Also Imagine that question on a dating site people might be less willing to date someone that eats food off the floor because then they might think I wonder what other unsanitary things they nay do

• The five second rule does not work in my house.

I have several three second dogs.

They tend to eat it first and then decide if it was a good idea.

• Maybe once in a very rare few instances in life that I can't remember. Probably tried to eat the part of food that didn't touch the floor and break it apart. Still I generally don't eat it once it touches the floor. I'm sure I have eaten food on other dirty surfaces (like a table or desk or something else).

• edited June 2023

I don't think people realize how disgusting they can be. Off the floor- especially if at home where you clean- is not as dirty as the thousands of things that are touched every day. Gas pumps are so gross. So are any kind of cash/coin, door handles, kiosks, products on a store shelf, the list goes on and on. When's the last time you disinfected your steering wheel or credit cards or your keys? How many times have you gone through the drive thru and ate with your hands without properly cleaning them? Picked your nose or picked something out of your teeth without a second thought? I know this is not everyone, but there are a magnitude of people who don't realize what they put into their bodies on a regular basis. I'm not saying I want to eat off the floor, I am saying there are worse things.

• @Lisa123 - Agreed. I liked George Carlin's take on germs:

• If you blow on it first. It’s fine. But only if it’s hard, dry surface food. (Not ice cream)
    Like Chocolate Cream filling Oreos.
    They come with an anti-bacteria coating so they’re fine and actually prevent illnesses.

• Yeah i don’t eat off the floor. 5 seconds 2 seconds, once it hits it’s gone.

I don’t put enough thought into it to call it disgusting but i don’t do it.

• @Lisa123 That's why I try to keep wipes and sanitizer around me, especially in my car.

• @carrieanne perfect logic about Oreos. I have heard similar things about Cheetos. (Although I think I heard it when I actually said it. Lolol)

• I toss it now. My dog use to get it previously.