Electromagnetic Fields

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to taking this course for my electrical engineering major at the university which begins in a few weeks. I'll need to refresh myself on vector calculus.

Comments

• You got this @Mike403 We need more engineers, and fewer social media influencers.

• Do not envy! But hey, glad you're pursuing your dreams. Like @TxTom said, more engineers, less influencers. 🤣😂

• @Mike403 yep, good job pursuing your dreams! :)

• All the best!
    I took my masters in CS in my early 30s. You might find it odd especially if the crowd is young. Just hang in there and believe in yourself. You’ll get through it.

• edited July 2023

That professor mentioned Green's Theorem, and I have a hazy memory that Green's Theorem is where I fell off maths. It's not that it's difficult - it isn't - I just hadn't kept up with the work.

The internet being the wonderful thing that it is I looked it up. George Green published the original version in 1828, so this maths is the best part of 200 years old. It's a nice theorem.

Green himself had an interesting life with only one year of formal schooling. Worth five minutes of your time:

George Green (mathematician) (Wikipedia)

I spend a lot of time around young people. They are mostly pretty nice, and more accepting of older people in their midst than my generation was.

• [Deleted User]Umoja (deleted user)

I admire your courage...AND your willingness to stick with this! Also glad that you're using every tool available in your studies--- Youtube really is helpful for at-home, personal study..

It'll maybe be rough, but it'll probably be well worth the effort. Hoping you surprise even yourself by sailing through this, successfully! :)

• @Mike403 I went back to school for EE and was initially filled with the same misgivings as you seem to have. I discovered that if I looked at the experience as an adventure, to see how I do in that environment, I found that having a mature and methodical approach to studying allowed me to do quite well. Yes I had to spend the prior summer refreshing my math skills, but the kids who were my colleagues were not very dedicated or consistent. I committed to doing what it took to gain profficiency at the material. If you want more detail you can msg me about it.

• @TxTom I heartily agree!

• I start class on Monday.

• Not to get to "Airplane" on you, but if your professor for vector calculus is named Victor, you can ask him "What' the vector, Victor?".

• [Deleted User]Gronuth (deleted user)

I hated this class. I did mechanical engineering and ehen everything starts getting abstract its beyond me. I had trouble in fluid mechanics as well but at least that has mass and i could slightly understand it. I had no background in electrical though so thats why this class was rough. You are mature and dedicated so you have a huge leg up on all your classmates. I graduated at 35 so i was a little late but i had direction and dedication and its makes a big difference. Going forward, they have a rate my peofessor page ot thete on the internet somewhere thats helps a lot. If you are there to learn as much as you can, the teaches rateeld ad hars are almost always your best bet. Unless they have an accent you cant understand.... that makes things very difficult for tge wrong reasons. Grats on going back and persuing your dream! You've got this!

• @Mike403 I hope you get through with the least amount of issues.

• My school's bookstore messed up and never placed orders for a lot of the classes including mine. (who's responsible for this?). We couldn't even see what book was needed until we saw the professor's syllabus the first day of class. I placed a last minute order on Amazon. Hopefully it shows up today so I can start on the homework.

• My study material finally came.

• You have this Mike. Should be a walk in the park for you.

• @superjumbo 😂😂😂

And @Mike403 good luck with the new class!!

• My university has a brewery/restaurant inside one of the campus buildings. Sometimes I need wings and beer before class.

• [Deleted User]Concordiaesque (deleted user)

I came across this in my reading today: When you drop into your heart and you get your heart rhythm into what they call coherence, your electromagnetic field goes out 15 feet further, and your immune system is boosted for 8 hours. So actually, your magnetization possibilities are so much greater and grander when you can be into heart coherence.

Less mathy more <3 y though.

• @Concordiaesque

Less mathy more <3 y though.

The heart still operates in a universe dictated by the four fundamental forces, so I wouldn't discount the relation between heart coherence and math.

• @Mike403 What are we looking at there?

• @TxTom - Vector Calculus review.

• @Mike403 For your electrical engineering degree, will you be delving into non-Euclidean vectors as well?

• That looks like state space equations or what you’re about to get to. I forgot which class this was for though. I loved solving them. It was so methodical. It was like a zen state during exams. The one time I felt in my element.

Wait till you get to character mapping. Though that’s a different class altogether and it’s just pure chaos.

What’s this class again?

• Systems & Dynamics course - that was it

• From what I remember, once you learn the abc’s of vectors above, then you’re going to combine them in a matrix and solve for their state space.

• once you learn the abc’s of vectors above, then you’re going to combine them in a matrix and solve for their state space.

:neutral:

I'm pretty good at subtraction.

• :neutral:
    I'm pretty good at subtraction.

There's a reason I went into music & dance... I only have to count to 5, 6, 7, 8 😅 Algebra, trig, and calculus did not mix well with dyscalculia, especially since I didn't get diagnosed til my senior year of college 🤣🤦🏻‍♀️ I'm not even great at subtraction in my head... if I had a nickel for every time I calculated change wrong by a decimal place.....

• OMG... Mike you HAVE to keep showing us pics of what your doing in this class!!!!!! I am literally living vicariously through you with this!!!!

Mmmm....vector calculus, it's what's for Breakfast!!!

Ok, I'm going to go look through my Math dictionary now like a good math nerd!!!!

• @Motorbaby - It's perfect cuddle material.

Don't make me do a calculus problem.