Happy Left Hander’s Day August 13 😊

It is estimated that somewhere between 10 to 12 percent of the world population is left handed . So that seems to me I can’t be the only left handed person on CC . Who here is left handed?

Comments

• Oh wow south paw!
    So cool to know it!
    Ambidextrous by default?
    Only 4 lefties in my large extended family.

• Lefty Libra here!!!

• I claim left handedness, but only do about half of things left- handed

• Did you know that holding a tape measure in your left hand , the numbers are upside down 😞

• edited August 2023

I can't believe we have to bother with a "day of recognition" for something that represents only 10% of the world's population/s

• Rarities should be celebrated.

• @JoyfulHeart Agreed, and I was just joking, of course.

I was born left-handed. My very first school years were spent in Wantage, UK. For some reason, the school wanted all students to write with their right hand. (Not sure why since they drive on the wrong side over there. Ha!)

So ever since then, I've been non-binary and can write with both hands.

• @TxTom It's because they're a minority, and one that's still subject to a certain amount of discrimination, that they need a day of recognition. At least it's no longer a common belief that being left-handed is a mark of the devil, so they no longer suffer the outright prejudice and attempts to force them to be right-handed (though somehow I doubt this is true everywhere yet). Almost gives hope for other things which are considered evil despite being completely natural.

Meanwhile, people being left-handed in no way hurts anyone else, so there's absolutely no harm in celebrating being different.

• I am left handed too!

• @Unscented_Lemon The /s at the end of my first post means sarcasm.

• @TxTom What /s? Oh, the one that looks like a typo. Sorry, I remember you having the same kind of dismissive stance in another thread, so it never occurred to me that you might not be serious.

• Speaking of writing left handed … who among us remember this classic look from our school days ?

• Mike, I went to a Catholic school, and one of the nuns insisted we all write with cartridge pens. I would go home at the end of the day with a blue hand and blue stained shirt sleeve collar (long sleeve shirts in the winter). My papers were pretty smudged up too.

And yes, add me to the list of lefties!!

• @SpooniesBack same here. Yeah I still remember Sister Mary Veronica really not appreciating my left handed writing technique lol 😂. And why in the heck during that time period were we so interested in cartridge pens ? 😆. What a mess !!

• Lefty here

• Us lefties are the only ones in our right minds!

• I'm a lefty, but I use a tape measure right-handed @OhioMike. I also use scissors and knit right-handed. Definitely easier to knit right-handed so you don't have to reverse instructions. And I do remember my left hand looking like that at school, lol.

In my family my mom, one sis and I are left-handed. The other sis and dad are right-handed. Betcha don't know many families where the left outnumbers the right.

• [Deleted User]Concordiaesque (deleted user)

I read somewhere that on average lefties die earlier due to the stress of having to live in a right handed world. When I was younger, I was ambidextrous, which angered my mother, who yelled at me that I should only write with one hand, so pick one! I picked left, but do almost everything else right handed. I took a quiz once and came up with 49% right handed, 51% left handed.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• @Concordiaesque yeah as a left-hander I wanted to know about that research. It seems later it was debunked because the thought was that the "older" people that died were from the generations that didn't let people write or eat left handed and had them converted to right handedness. Theory being now we don't discourage left handed use anymore and now with that happening newer studies need started. Interesting stuff though especially the quiz you took.

@JoyfulHeart I'm thinking you might be right! 😆

• [Deleted User]Concordiaesque (deleted user)

@OhioMike Good to know, thanks! I still wouldn't be opposed to dying 10 years earlier :)

• ME and my brother are both lefties.It is nice to be different then most people

• edited September 2023

I'm ambidextrous. Aka - Ambiturn! My bro is a lefty. it sucked sitting next to him at dinner when growing up.