On a Swiftly Tilting Planet

Some months ago I had decided to step down as a moderator. The two reasons I stayed on longer than intended were that I wanted to be available to the newer mods, and I do enjoy this community. I want to be an enthusiast for a while. I have a full life offline. I'll be on and off CC here. For those not interested in reading further, so long and thanks for all the fish.

History and Moderator Philosophy

My entire world changed in 2020. Since I had the time, I volunteered to assist Mark, as I had been a moderator elsewhere. CC soon found out I was a woke, raging liberal who is fair. Some would argue that fairness, and those someone's are no longer on CC, but my conscience is quite clear. The rules from which I operate: does the reported member follow the TOS or forum rules, is the reported member stirring up shit to stir up shit, is the reported member posting a personal attack, and has the reported member been warned before? If yes on any of the above, then I gave a warning, forum timeout, site timeout, or ban. Narrator voice: there will be peace, or there will be pieces of you - choose wisely.

CC Moderators

Be kind to the mod team, but don't mistake THEIR kindnesses for weakness. Everyone has a limit, and when they're reached theirs, they too will take action. I have full faith in them. @Mark @Gary @netrunner @Charlie_Bear @Shake49 @cheeseboy @Babichev - you're a fantastic team, and I so appreciate everything you do.

You didn't ask, but here are two portions of my most favorite American poems of the early 1900's.

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
T.S. Eliot

...And indeed there will be time
For the yellow smoke that slides along the street,
Rubbing its back upon the window-panes;
There will be time, there will be time
To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;
There will be time to murder and create,
And time for all the works and days of hands
That lift and drop a question on your plate;
Time for you and time for me,
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of a toast and tea.

In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo.

And indeed there will be time
To wonder, “Do I dare?” and, “Do I dare?”
Time to turn back and descend the stair,
With a bald spot in the middle of my hair —
(They will say: “How his hair is growing thin!”)
My morning coat, my collar mounting firmly to the chin,
My necktie rich and modest, but asserted by a simple pin —
(They will say: “But how his arms and legs are thin!”)
Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

For I have known them all already, known them all:
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;
I know the voices dying with a dying fall
Beneath the music from a farther room.
So how should I presume?
I grow old ... I grow old ...
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

Morning Song Of Senlin
Conrad Potter Aiken

It is morning, Senlin says, and in the morning
When the light drips through the shutters like the dew,
I arise, I face the sunrise,
And do the things my fathers learned to do.
Stars in the purple dusk above the rooftops
Pale in a saffron mist and seem to die,
And I myself on a swiftly tilting planet
Stand before a glass and tie my tie.

Comments

• [Deleted User]CharlesInWI (deleted user)

@Sideon You are a great joy my friend!

• You were the best a mod could be. Hats off to you, sir 🫡

• Already missed🥺💗

• I hope the much needed break from moderating treats you to all the cuddles!

• @Sideon your good common sense and care for our safety will be greatly missed but please don’t be a stranger here. With all your experience reading crazy troll threads, think of the fun you could have! We’ll be looking for you. Get lots of rest!!

• Hugs, my friend!

• Say "hi" to Charles Wallace, if you see him.

• Points!! for two stellar literary references.
    Please do what brings you the joy!

• @Sideon I admire your ability to not tell people to simply F all the way off , which is not something I'd be able to accomplish as a mod

• HUGS!!! You're the greatest. :)

• Thank you for Your hard work and dedication

• I'm with @pmvines on this one... how do you hold it in?
    Great job, much appreciated.

• @Sideon ~ You are the most bestest of the best of us!!
    Thank you for all you bring, and have broughten, to this community and all of your precious time shared.
    I hope the step down allows you more time with your art, your doggo, your reading of things that inspire you. Time for going on outings, enjoying time with those you love... time for all the things, and having lots of cuddles, giggles, and some disco too!!
    🤗🤭🕺

• I happen to know a little about moderating from a previous life. @Sideon is very good at it. Oh this forum is gonna miss you buddy.

• @Sideon Thanks for all the great modding. You’ve been awesome!!

• Thanks for your service. I appreciate your moderation and your thoughts. Take care.

• Thank you for the hard work!

• Thank you for all your hard work! All the best in your future endeavours. Take care! :)

• edited August 2023

Sid ………………….

I appreciate you and see you ❤️😊

• @Sideon As mentioned privately, you've been amazing and a role model of a moderator. Hope you'll be back on the team in the future.

• It's hard to imagine what goes into being a moderator here. It seems like such a thankless job. They take time out of their busy life to make sure members on this site stays safe...and that is without any financial compensation.

• You're a rock star, @Sideon! So happy you're taking time for you! Thank you for all the blood, sweat, and tears you've poured into this place. I hope you deeply enjoy this well-earned next phase. 🤗

~ Sunset Snuggles

• @Sideon We have already spoken privately prior to your public announcement and I don’t think everyone knows all of the personal sacrifices you made for this community when you were dealing with some awful tragedies in your personal life. I am going to respect your privacy on those matters but let it be known that if anyone doubts how much Sid cares about this community then you do not know how wrong you are. I hope you enjoy every minute of your time away and this community will feel the void you leave behind. You were consistent, firm and fair at all times and always placed the community above any one person. You deserve all the love coming your way.

• @mark For the Gilbert and Sullivan fans among us, concerning @Sideon: He's the very model of a modern website monitor. He knows the TOSes and he makes the forum healthier...

That's all I could come up with at a moment's notice.

• Thank you for all your hard work. It's very much appreciated. Enjoy your much needed break. Hugs 🤗.

• I second @SunsetSnuggles .... @Sideon you've been a rock star and I hope your new found time will be just what you need.

• @Sideon: the man, the myth, the legend.
    The CC version of Dalton in "Roadhouse."

He's good. He's REEEEEAL good!"

• Thanks for all you did and do.
    Enjoy your enthusiasm!

• @AllAboutSoul i thought you'd be bigger...