Where are the hot sauce lovers?

[Deleted User]Concordiaesque (deleted user)

I'll start. Here's my current hot sauce collection.

Comments

• I only associate hot sauce with chicken wings.
    Is that acceptable? Nice collection tho

• I only eat hot sauce on days that end in y. I particularly like Melinda's habañero sauce.

• [Deleted User]Concordiaesque (deleted user)

@Sooson very acceptable - especially if you share the wings ;)

@JoyfulHeart I have not tried Melinda's but I see it in the store often.

• @Concordiaesque of course !! Ever been to Gators in Palatine? Best wings imo

• LUV hot sauce in my deviled eggs!

@SweeteaUMe what kind of hot sauce do you use? I've never tried that!

@Sooson I have not, thank you for the recommendation!

• Scoville Heat Units of 1 million.

• Woo, nice collection! What all do you put them on?

I'll be honest, my favorite hot thing right now is this...I use it on macaroni and cheese, sandwiches, Asian food, oh my God, it's scrumptious.

~ Sunset Snuggles

• [Deleted User]CharlesInWI (deleted user)
    edited September 2023

I tend to go super simple for sauce (Cholula), and get most of my spice heat from curries, spice blends, and ground dried peppers.

Hit that Cholula with a blend of ancho, cumin, coriander, and 40K cayenne and good things happen to whatever you put it on, marinate in it, or bump up a soup/rice/noodle dish.

@Mike403 I think I saw you post that in another thread, which is partially where I got the idea to share my own collection - I don't really know scovilles, how does it compare to the last dab from Hot Ones?

@SunsetSnuggles oooh that's interesting, I might have to see if my local Trader Joe's carries that!

@CharlesInWI totally valid - that sounds like an amazing blend!

edited September 2023

As for what I put my hot sauce on? Sometimes I give myself the Hot Ones challenge and make a bunch of chicken nuggets and line them all up in heat order, love adding some to my chili, pasta, mexican food, the secret aardvark goes great on my breakfast sandwiches, sometimes I make a spicy mayo for things like sushi....it all depends.

I also add hot sauce to anything I'm eating that I'd rather not be - something tastes bland/bad? Just add enough hot sauce to not notice! haha

• @Concordiaesque - The Last Dab is hotter at 2 milion. I'm scared to try it. To give another comparison, a jalapeño pepper is 5,000 and a haberno pepper is 100,000-350,000.

@Mike403 If you go by count alone I agree, the number is daunting, but it's not nearly as bad as some of the other more painful hot sauces that have lower numbers, so you shouldn't be scared to try it. I wouldn't recommend it, because for me it had no flavor, only heat - and that's something I'm not interested in. I'd much rather have the hot sauces that also taste good...but I know a lot of people like to use tolerance of hot sauce as some sort of competition or something. I'm just genuinely interested in trying new flavors and I like spicy things!

• SHU is how many times the capsaicin (the chemical that causes the burning sensitation) must be diluted before it is no longer detectable. Pure capsaicin is 16 million SHU.

Now THAT sounds painful, lol

• It's also a common ingredient for self defense weapons such as pepper spray since it stimulates pain receptors without causing actual injury.

• @Concordiaesque posted: "no flavor, only heat"

Totally know what you mean. I absolutely adore spicy food, but it needs to be delicious and have layers of flavor, as well. Too many chefs and brands just dump in chilis without any art. So sometimes I prefer a medium option over a hot, even though it's less satisfying, it can have such a better flavor profile.

~ Sunset Snuggles

@Mike403 probably yet another reason to avoid those high scoville sauces - I do not need my pain receptors stimulated, thanks...I'll be with @SunsetSnuggles enjoying delicious layers of flavor.

• @Concordiaesque - That's what spiciness is. It doesn't stimulate your tastebuds, but instead your pain receptors to give that burning sensation.

I prefer the flavor of spiciness which to me is separate from the burning sensation :)

• [Deleted User]CharlesInWI (deleted user)

@Concordiaesque

Although those endorphins after the burn are not exactly a bad thing…

@CharlesInWI I've seen it on Hot Ones, unfortunately I don't get endorphin rushes...or dopamine hits, or any of the other things most neurotypical people feel. I have sensory processing issues and feel things completely differently to most. I like having feelings explained to me though, I find them fascinating.

• I like a good curry.

@teddybear888 I love a good makhani but I wonder if people would debate if it's actually a curry?

• I'm getting wicked gas just reading this.

• Of course Louisiana is a primary go to ☝🏾

• This is one of my favorite annual events, the “Weekend of Fire” at Jungle Jim’s International Market in Fairfield, OH (the NW corner of Cincinnati)

Everything hot sauce related 🔥
    https://junglejims.com/weekend-of-fire/

• I stop short of anything that eats through internal organs.