Favorite “Quirky” Healthy Foods

Been noticing lots of foods that are often updates or twists on traditional dishes to fit current health trends. Think about weird stuff you’d see in Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s. For example, turkey meatloaf instead of traditional fattier meats. Or “beet yogurt” that my coworker accidentally purchased and ended up really enjoying.

Any quirky, health foods you ended up really enjoying despite how stupid they sound?

Currently, I’m digging turkey meatloaf. Also, kimchi rice with the rice replaced with riced cauliflower is actually so delicious. Next goal for me is to try the beet yogurt because I love beets.

Comments

• We made the switch from beef to turkey and impossible products a year or so ago.
    Also, cauliflower rice....so good.

• Oh I did also try Quince for the first time this weekend.
    It was delicious

• I completely revamped my spaghetti. Nowadays I use chickpea noodles, low-sodium marinara, and 96% lean ground beef. My seasoning is mostly herbs & spices with a small amount of pink sea salt.

• Spaghetti squash is a safe bet. And it's seasonal right now. But it definitely needs to get spiced up somehow.

My ultimate favorite health food this time of year is wild mushroom. So healthy and tasty, as long as ya know what you are doing! PSA...If you don't know, don't eat it.

• I’m into so many of those but I tend to make them too. Like my paprika hemp & chia seed oatmeal cookies, or my coconut & cinnamon brown rice crisps marshmallow treats, or my turmeric, cardomom, cinnamon & cayenne pepper hot chocolate. Or most recently my ginger, beet & pineapple smoothie.

I love experimenting. I figure, why not.

A quirky health food I got from the store recently would probably be this holy basil seed drink. The seeds look just like chia.

• edited October 2023

Would plain old ground beef be considered a quirky health food? Quirky in that it is thought of as a less healthy food, but It’s trending as a health food in some circles, and I’ve been trying to eat more of it

How about vegan almond flour pancakes? My mom actually made it and it was really good. Not sure what oil was used

I tried googling a healthy diet and found that everything is bad for you lol so confused

@PrettyLuv i think experimenting is the way to go, and see what makes you feel healthy. For every person that’s switched to a vegetarian diet and feels great, there is a person that switched to a carnivore diet and feels great, etc . That hot chocolate sounds good!

Sorry to rant a bit !

• You can substitute applesauce for eggs in any baking recipe. Go vegan for the animals. 😉🐣

~ Sunset Snuggles

🦄 Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

• Sardines
    Sauerkraut
    Kimchi

• I like trying different variations of foods, but definitely read the nutrition facts if health is your main reason to switch. There have been times where I've noticed some impossible products (which I do find delicious) can sometimes be just as unhealthy or more than the food it imitates. I find this is more often with fast food though such as an impossible whopper having a lot more sodium than a regular whopper. However I don't have any sodium issues and the lower saturated fat and cholesterol are a plus for me. Interestingly enough, impossible sliders (without cheese) from White Castle have more calories, saturated fat, and sodium than the Original slider, but less cholesterol.

I think these food are helpful towards the environment, but results health-wise may vary. Then again it is fast food I was talking about 😅😂.
    I love my tofu, impossible anything, vegan basil "beef" entree, and more, but I couldn't exclusively eat that myself. I am always interested to try new twists though. I remember enjoying ground chicken tacos instead of ground beef that I usually have. Or grilled chicken vs steak tacos.
    Whatever I have, I usually enjoy black pepper on it.

• I've been moving away from labeling food healthy or unhealthy and more seeking balance and moderation in general, but having grown up in hippieville California with a food co-op, tons of vegan food, and weekly farmers markets with craft foods being the norm... I couldn't resist listing a few 🤣 I wouldn't call all of these favorites, per se, but definitely memorable and all surprisingly good.

• kombucha scoby candy
    • homemade kombucha, jun, kefir, and yogurt
    • Mac n cheese made with roasted cauliflower and a cashew & brewer's yeast "cheeze"
    • mushroom fake tofu/seitan for those avoiding soy
    • green goddess sauce on everything
    • low fodmap ketchup made with beets
    • taro fries
    • apple & apricot "bacon"
    • homemade sourdough bread
    • savory oatmeal
  • Jackfruit pulled “pork” is pretty amazing 😋

• Jackfruit pulled “pork” is pretty amazing 😋

@SweetCamiXO Yes! I make it a lot as a BBQ sandwich. Really delicious.

• As someone who hasn’t eaten pork in over 20 years I’m super interested in this alt recipe.

As an addendum, I love all the vegan alternatives to meat that are actually tasty, without being chemically or genetically induced to be. Like the cauliflower burger, or the eggplant lasagne or 👆the jackfruit pulled pork. Unlike the impossible burger and other variants which introduce exorbitant amounts of soy protein isolates which are known endocrine disrupters, these foods incorporate the whole vegetable as the alternative, and it actually somehow works. I love that.

• Unpasteurized cow milk, kefir, and camel milk. Pasteurization kills all the enzymes that make these foods incredibly beneficial to your gut micro biome. Unfortunately they are hard to find in most states due to dept of health regulations. I get mine from an Amish farm in PA.

I also enjoy Lion’s Mane Mushroom coffee and powder cacao in my coffee.

• What’s the name of that Amish farm again @JohnR1972. I got a water kefir kit but I never got around to making it.

• A good part of health is just being happy in life, and an important part of that is just enjoying what you eat and not needlessly torturing yourself with trendy dietary plans.

• @TxTom right, food isn’t just about nutrition, but it is also about enjoyment and it has a big social component as well. Eating with others is often very fun

@SunsetSnuggles hmm applesauce chocolate chip cookies .. might have to try this!

@JohnR1972 its so hard to find unpasteurized milk?

• Most of these mentioned are not trendy and have been around for years. And why does one make the assumption that people are “tortured” by healthy foods?

• Spaghetti subbed with zucchini
    Cauliflower fried rice
    So yummy 😋🤤

• @BoomerSpooner trauma from being forced to eat peas at the dinner table as a child?

• @sunnysideup I guess. Some can’t let go of their Mac and cheese dinners.

• @BoomerSpooner
    "Mac and cheese dinners"?

Now I feel attacked 🤣

• why does one make the assumption that people are “tortured” by healthy foods?

I didn't say tortured by healthy foods, I said tortured by trendy dietary plans. Translation: eat what you want, whatever makes you happy.

• edited October 2023

@PrettyLuv - I buy mine from https://amosmillerorganicfarm.com
    Amos Miller was raided by the USDA about 2 years ago on what I consider to be fraudulent charges. I know Miller’s attorney who got most of the charges dropped and helped him get his business up and running again.

https://conventionofstates.com/news/amish-farmer-raided-by-feds-wins-court-battle-against-usda-mandates

@sunnysideup - Many years ago drinking unpasteurized milk was much more risky than it is today. Pasteurization undoubtedly saved many lives. However, when animals are properly cared for and great care is taken in milk handling, the risk is very small today (and drinking pasteurized milk is not a 100% guarantee against getting bad milk).

Laws were put in place about a century ago to require milk to be pasteurized before it could be sold. A few states, such as PA, have loosened regulations on this but most have not. I joined the Amos Miller coop and as a coop member, I can legally purchase unpasteurized milk under PA state law and I have it shipped to Indiana.

It is illegal to sell unpasteurized milk in Indiana but I am buying it from out of state and having it shipped in (which appears to be legal). The only way you can legally obtain unpasteurized milk from Indiana is if you own the cow and you are drinking it yourself (you can’t sell it).

That is where some creative people came up with the idea of selling you 1/8 or 1/4 of a dairy cow. You pay them a set fee to buy 1/8 or 1/4 of the cow and a monthly fee for them to feed and milk the cow. They then give you 1/8 or 1/4 of the milk the cow produces. Technically it is your cow so they are not selling you the unpasteurized milk, they are giving you your share of the milk from the cow they are keeping for you.

• @sunnysideup

Eating with others is often very fun

Exactly. Food has always been a focal point for bringing a community together.

• I didn't say tortured by healthy foods, I said tortured by trendy dietary plans. Translation: eat what you want, whatever makes you happy.

Define trendy dietary plans. And why on earth would you inject negativity and disapproval into a thread about quirky health foods? So you don’t like broccoli…doesn’t mean you should be compelled to say it on a broccoli appreciation thread.

• Trendy is something that comes and goes; is fashionable for a while and then falls out of favor. There's been a bunch of these dietary plans over the decades. I don't need to list them-- you've been around a while.

To quote my original comment:

A good part of health is just being happy in life, and an important part of that is just enjoying what you eat and not needlessly torturing yourself with trendy dietary plans.

Promoting happiness via diet is not injecting negativity.

• I think there was a bit of a misunderstanding.
    This forum has been 100% positive.
    I agree with @TxTom that people should structure their diet for happiness and health. Not for a trendy diet plan

• And I didn't disparage healthy foods. I'm not sure where you getting that from.

• Thank you @Jova114

I didn't think my original comment would need to be elaborated on.