What do you miss about the 90s? (or for some, the early 2000s?)

Comments

• “Just a joke” is almost never “just a joke.” This is a thing I do NOT miss about the past. We’re (more of us than ever at least) are aware that words have consequences. That saying the “isms” was never okay, and that accountability happens more than ever.

• Actions have consequences, not words.

• edited November 2023

https://www.spin.com/2021/12/greatest-90s-albums/

I miss the prevelance of underground bands (Bands that never hit Billboards Top 100) in best of reports like this.

I think you're right about the build up to 90s music and the spill over into the 00s. I was at a college radio station when Modest Mouse broke about '04. We all saw that as the beginning of the end.

• @Ironman294 did not know the cabbage patch came from the 80s. raise the roof! hoo hoo hoo!

@TxTom I think the mid 2000s was a bit of a wild time. when I rewatch borat or Ali g, I'm a bit shocked by 2023 standards or a Vince Vaughn or will ferrell movie.

• Actions have consequences, not words.

Yell fire in a theater. Say the N word in a crowd of black people. The list goes on. Words have consequences. You don’t think sending the Declaration of Independence to the King didn’t have consequences? Written confessions have consequences.

• This thread was supposed to be about about the 90s. lol

• About thick skin. The 90's is where that changed so the observation is only partly true especially regarding stand-up comedy.

In the 1990s, the political correctness culture significantly influenced stand-up comedy, leading to a shift in comedic styles and content. Comedians faced increased scrutiny for potentially offensive material, prompting some to adapt their routines to be more mindful of social sensitivities, while others resisted perceived censorship, resulting in ongoing debates about the balance between humor, freedom of expression, and social responsibility.

• When was there history on the history channel? Learning on the learning channel? Music on MTV? Or even VH1?

• I miss low gas prices, being a kid who was able to wake up at 5 or 6 am every day full of energy just to play a video game or watch TV before school, Saturday morning cartoons, original Ninja turtles, super Nintendo, sleepovers with friends, a whole lot of cartoons besides Saturday ones, going to arcades, and most of all my dog.

• Steak and Ale restaurant, although I understand they may be re-opening.

Structure, men's clothing store. It constituted over half of my wardrobe.

• I definitely miss the music and the graffiti on the exterior of the subway cars. There’s only one subway car left in the city with all the graffiti of the 90’s painted all over it and it’s heralded now as a work of art, lol. Weird how times change.

• @PrettyLuv graffiti is def art to me.

@TxTom Structure and Forever 21 and Off the Wall and Claire.

• @Minestrone101 @PrettyLuv

Don’t know if you remember this game, but this was pretty cool came out right in 2000 you go round and graffiti everything

• edited November 2023

Early 90s - I miss reading newspapers. That and visiting the library to research material for a paper by browsing through paper indexes, journal archives, and making notes from articles on microfilm or microfiche. I loved those machines, they were so cool.

• I was born in '96 and I miss the movies and Saturday morning cartoons of the era. That last little burst of high quality hand drawn animation before the popularization of computer animated stuff.

• edited November 2023

@lonelytauros I remember Parappa the Rapper. lol. I don't remember this one. interesting. a predecessor to Grand theft auto?

• @Minestrone101 if you’ve never played it yes it’s definitely worth a play through. Nothing to do with Grandtheft auto though

• edited November 2023

Late 90s.i was hitchhiking around Europe and sleeping on trains and buses and with strangers I'd met along the way . Met my sons mother on a bus in Belgium . I was 60 pounds lighter, had hair down to middle of my back, and didn't care that I had no money or food. Interesting time to be alive.

• edited December 2023

@TxTom
    Re: Steak and Ale,
    https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2023/02/22/when-iconic-dallas-restaurant-steak-and-ale-returns-grand-prairie-will-be-first-in-texas/
    I worked there during college in early ‘70s, I wish the menu would be exactly the same!

• Born in 1990, I was a total 90s kid and 2000s teen. I'm nostalgic for 90s Nicktoons. Also shout out to Micro Machines. I was all about anything cars and trucks. Of course Hot Wheels and Matchbox are still in stores but Micro Machines fell off after a 10 or 15 year run.

As far as early 2000s, the original Xbox is still the GOAT console, I don't care what PlayStation 2 fan base says. Also MTV2 Rock Countdown and the occasional hour long blocks of videos were like a religion for me for about a year circa 2004.

• @PeopleLikeUs Turntablists still exist! I haven't ditched my 1200s. My crew has been going strong since the late 90s. We're all 40+ now and still cutting up records.

• I miss the club culture of the early 00's. I grew up listening to Beyonce, Timbaland, Usher, Lil Jon, etc who had club BANGERS and I was so excited to grow up and go out. Now the club is full of people too high to think and/or standing around on their phones and not dancing. It sucks. I wish I could've had the opportunity to experience hearing those songs in the club but unfortunately I was like 5 years old.

• @avebae Don't know if you've watched Black Mirror much or at all. If not I recommend the episode "San Junipero" based on your comment. And speaking of TV shows f'yeah Invincible 🦸

• How much money was worth.

• And his threads are still at the top of the first page. 😏

@Minestrone101 When you get back - Claire's is most definitely still around, and I was utterly shocked to see one at the front end of a Wal-Mart, recently. 🦄🧁🎀 💅🏻🩵🛍

~ Sunset Snuggles

🦄 Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

🎄 Merry Christmas to my homies! ☃️

• @interalia626 that's one of my favorite episodes! I'm soooo ready for the other half of the season to come out lol

• Just my younger age.

• @avebae
    I have a bunch of Beyonce albums, singles, dvd (Live in Atlanta). She is one of my favorite singers.

• What I miss about the 90s is being younger, same as @Katota 😂 Oh, and not having adult responsibilities yet!

• I miss how older cars had a more analog feel. Oh and adult responsibilities.