Cuddle Drop

How often do you experience a dip in your mood post cuddles. Is there a term for this, what do you do to help?

Comments

• edited November 2023

Great question @Smvpixie23 ! This is SO real and there's actually a scientific reason (cuz I'm the brain geek who likes to geek up the threads) 🤓

I try to talk to my newer cuddle clients and help them be ready for the mood drop ahead of time 🤗

There's a specific chemical our brain releases during cuddles (oxytocin) which causes a type of euphoric kind of a high for a day or 2.... and then usually a crash too. Like a sugar high and then crash.

For me, the high is super fun, and I try to use it to get stuff done around the house LOL
    The crash can be icky, but will eventually level out again....and it helps immensely to be aware of it!

I'll plan to do less during the crash and maybe not plan too many overstimulating activities. And eat some ice cream or comfort food....and baked treats for sure! Not overboard.... but you guys all get the gist LOL

I mean, I probably use it as an excuse to go overboard....but I'm not recommending that!

• Cuddle crash -

• @RedFox16 Darn it, you beat me to the punch. Exactly. I tried my first pro cuddle just 5 days ago and it was absolutely amazing!!! (I had been very apprehensive about doing so because I didn’t like the act of cuddling to be transactional, but that’s a whole separate story). Anyhoo, it was such a beautiful experience that I’ve been dragging across that oxytocin floor ever since...

• @Smvpixie23

How often do you experience a dip in your mood post cuddles.

Every. Single. Time.

• I call it cuddle hangover . It’s like all that energy and feel good stuff has to have somewhere for it to go and when it doesn’t it gets angry

• Don’t know what my mood is when I’m asleep. I reckon you will have to check with my Sweet Dreams Liason Officer. They should have transcripts…hopefully. You never know with a cranial bureaucracy doubling as a think tank.

• I've never had the crash afterward, for some reason.

~ Sunset Snuggles

🦄 Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

• @RedFox16
    I like that you discuss the possibility with people even if its not experienced by all.

I don't think I've noticed it personally. @ least not attributed to aftermath of cuddle. Then again it's been a while since I cuddled.

• Lately, I have felt more grounded and connected to my body with cuddling. I haven’t had a cuddle drop in a while. I’ve been working through a lot of depression and grief this year. That could be part of it.

• I think it's lessened if you have a place to put that energy. Whether a significant other or a snuggly pet, stepping down gradually through a drop day makes the cuddle crash a lot less intense ~ For me anyway. That and some mindfulness. Otherwise, yeah, I'm a hot mess a couple days after.

• The mood drop is real and the whole cuddling experience can become very addicting. It’s one of the reasons why I just gave up on cuddling all together.

• I have never experienced that maybe because as soon the cuddle is over I start planning and looking forward to my next cuddle. I try very hard to have a cuddle once a week. I think of it as keeping my cuddle battery charged.

• Rarely. I know I need to cuddle when I start talking to myself out loud. But that's inherent, not really a drop off and that usually takes months. I maintain a natural state of contentment mostly both during and while away. It's work but also luck.

• @SunsetSnuggles Maybe because you are in a relationship where you get lots of cuddles consistently, and you cuddle others a lot too.

I think for me, if I’m getting enough touch day to day or week to week, I don’t have it. But if not, I know I need to cuddle or get some hugs.

• @bear I still need to make a trip. I hope you’re feeling better.
    @4cuddles Move to CO lots of cuddles here.
    @lonelytauros emotional regulation when it comes to body chemicals you have no to little control of can be hard. Hugs.
    @CuddleHugs01234 also, move to CO. I have it on good authority the Colorado /Wyoming cuddle people are pretty fun.
    @PeopleLikeUs theres that zen. Starting to think I’m less of an existentialist and more of a nihilist.

• @stormydaycuddle yes that’s why I just lay up here on my tree and relax :)
    Hugs from above 🤗

• edited November 2023

Yay! @WestsideMarc Glad I'm not the only brain geek here 😁 And glad to hear about your amazing cuddle experience! But that "oxytocin floor" can be an a-hole 😔 (although your super descriptive term made me laugh 😂)

Yes! @pmvines ....cuddle hangover is a great descriptor too. And boy can it get angry 🥺 That's why I usually calm it by giving it food! 😜

• @stormydaycuddle not me wondering where CO stands for? And why is the first thing I thought of Calfornia Orange?-:(.

Colorado? Somewhere in the States?

• @4cuddles sorry, it is Colorado. :)

• I’m glad this subject is being discussed…now I know what to prepare for.

I work with a community service organization occasionally, and they include a reminder about feeling “the blues” after a service project is over, and encourage members to reach out to each other for support and reassurance.

• @UrbanPirate There’s also a cuddle high, so that’s nice. Then comes the possible low.

@stormydaycuddle Thanks for the invite! :)