Schizoid Personality Disorder

edited December 2023 in General

Anyone else have this?
I’m too broken to have relationships so I come here for affection. It’s also the reason why in almost all circumstances I’d rather cuddle than have sex.

Comments

• I don't have that specifically but i have avoidant tendacies when it comes to intimacy and vulnerability. I'm probably here for similar reasons as you are.

• My mom had this. It was really hard for her.

• @Smvpixie23 sorry to hear that. Personality disorders in general are not a fun thing to have to deal with.

• I think that is the case for most people who gravitate to this site. Not wanting a relationship does not mean a person is broken IMO. It’s a personal choice made by all types of people. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with feeling that way and it can be a very healthy decision.
    🤗🤗🤗

• Hi there! This topic is important to me as I come across people of all walks of life. I’ve gathered a few tips for both clients and pros.

1. Consent is Key: Ensure both parties are comfortable and agree to cuddle.
    2. Open Communication: Discuss boundaries and preferences beforehand.
    3. Respect Personal Space: Adjust the level of closeness as needed.
    4. Create a Safe Space: Ensure a calm, comfortable, and if possible, a private environment.
    5. Be Mindful of Triggers: Avoid actions or topics that may be triggering.
    6. No Judgment: Approach with understanding and empathy.
    7. Professional Guidance*: If using cuddling therapeutically, consider guidance from a professional. (Certification or experience)
    8. Self-Awareness: Be conscious of your own comfort and boundaries.
    9. Regular CheckIns: Continuously ensure both parties are comfortable during the session.
    10. After cuddling: Talk about the experience afterwards to understand preferences and improvements.
  • @TeaCuddle its different from schizophrenia. We’re very much in control of our behavior.

• edited December 2023

@TeaCuddle In regards to your statement on Professional Guidance, I highly recommend anyone speak to a liscensed therapist first and foremost.

The word "therapy" is dangerously being labelled onto a lot of things these days that are not medically recognized/regulated forms of treatments. Professional cuddlers aren't therapists, and professional cuddling shouldn't be used to treat any underlying problems.

• Hi! Not the same diagnosis but I am borderline with Bipolar I. I fully empathize with your thoughts around relationships in general but especially romantic relationships.

I’ve done a great job of leaning into platonic connection this year and hope to do it more next year!

• @SmokyQuartz Anyone living with that is an emotional Navy Seal imo.

• edited December 2023

I was unsure what it was exactly, I Googled “DSM 5 & schizoid personality disorder” and this came up:

Schizoid personality disorder is a condition where a person shows very little, if any, interest and ability to form relationships with other people. It's very hard for the person to express a full range of emotions. If you have schizoid personality disorder, you may be seen as keeping to yourself or rejecting others.

@4TheSnugs do you relate to this description?

• @ShaneSchrute Yes. It's not an outright rejection but more of a constant push/pull dynamic called the schizoid dilemma. I find often that I just don't bond over time with people and relationships in general just don't develop period. It's been that way since I was 12. It's an inability masked by aan apparent lack of interest. Once in a while a person sneaks in, like my one friend, but even then they're at arms length.

• We also have a feeling of existential dread which is common with BPD. On bad days I feel like I am the only person alive in a cold, dark, uncaring universe. Cuddling helps with that.

• @4TheSnugs I see. Thank you for sharing. My heart goes out to you. That sounds really tough. I’m glad cuddles help.

• @4TheSnugs Please know that you are not alone feeling that way. Trying to mask my emotions led to nervous breakdowns because I was never evaluated or treated. However, I have been diagnosed and is currently collaborating on a wellness plan. You are brave to shed light on an area that is darkened by confusion and outdated research otherwise, cuddling would be considered as OT or PT and paid by insurance.

• @4TheSnugs As a therapist, I work with clients that you many diagnoses, as well as the one you mentioned.

• In other words, this site has some weirdos
    lol.

• @4TheSnugs I wouldn’t say that. Everybody has something going on. Maybe not all a mental thing, but everybody deals with something. Hugs 🤗

• I don’t know if I have anything but relationships and myself don’t mix so I’m on here for cuddles.