Free Hugs

I’ve seen videos of people wearing free hugs t-shirts on the street and I’ve always wanted to do that. I haven’t worked up enough courage just yet to do that but I do have a success I wanted to share. I got a t-shirt that says, “I Give Free Hugs”. The first time I wore it was to a pickleball gathering of some acquaintances. No one said anything about my shirt and no one asked for a hug. I wore the shirt for the second time last Saturday. I answered the door to a sales person trying to offer a free appraisal of my roof. I’m a renter so once she heard that she said bye. She also said she liked my shirt. I asked her if she wanted a free hug and she did. We had a great hug right there in the doorway. I believe she enjoyed it. I felt great afterwards. Now I need to get the courage to go to the grocery store or the mall wearing that shirt.

Comments

• Well done, that man!

• edited December 2023

I once had a free hugs tshirt until one day a trusted friend pointed out that it is kinda creepy for a middle aged man to be walking around in public trying to solicit hugs from strangers. As much as I hated to say it, I kinda agreed. I did wear it to a pride parade to give support to my family and friends but that's also a specific situation where it fits in with the context of the moment. This community is a specific kind of bubble for a specific kind of people. We forget sometimes how things present to those outside of our bubbles.

• I hugged a man wearing a Free Hugs shirt in public once. He was kind of startled. Be careful what you wish for.

• Once in a while I’ll wear my free hugs hoodie or shirt in public and I’ll forget I’m wearing it. I’ve had strangers wanting hugs lol

• I think of you choose to wear one, or choose to hug others that wear the shirt, still practice consent. Still ask first. :)

• Free Hugs shirts are great because they let people come to you for hugs. I haven't worn mine since before the pandemic, but I had given a few away. Interestingly, the people who seemed to want them the most were women my mother's age :confused:
    It does take a certain amount of courage to put yourself out there like that, especially in public. But, the right people will respond in the right way. I'm proud of you for wearing one, and I appreciate the good energy and platonic affection you're adding to the world :smile:

• @Bear I have a friend who wore that shirt. 🤣😂

• @JoyfulHeart I got the biggest kick out of it when I saw it. Did your friend get hugs?

• I didn't hug him, because as much as I like him, I knew that hugs aren't his favorite thing. It made it funny for me because it was like it was made for him.

• @tristan406 Did the women your mom’s age want the t-shirts or did they want a hug?

Age of women came up on another thread today.