scifi

[Deleted User]01001000P (deleted user)

This is a random question. How would I get into scifi writing? I kinda have an idea for a story lmao

Comments

• edited January 2

Well, first I would say is realize your writing style and then you just keep writing. The two styles are plotters and pantsers. Plotters plan out the whole story with an outline and structure while pansters "write by the seat of their pants." Start with writing short stories and get involved in a creative writing communities that are all over the internet to develop skills as a writer.

As a pantser, I enjoy creative writing as it is a fun exercise to just let my mind flow and have a whole story emerge. I have a general idea what I want the story to be and then I just write the characters and story as they come. When I first tried having a detailed organized plot, I revamped it over and over again. I never enjoyed it as I could never get out of the planning stage. Every idea would become a muddled mess of a story for me to discard. I only learned about pantsing when I discussed with an IRL friend about how he writes his short stories. I did a quick google and found this little blog that goes into more detail to start you on your journey: https://www.masterclass.com/articles/plotters-vs-pantsers-what-kind-of-writer-are-you

Good luck! I have found writing and journaling to be very rewarding :)

• [Deleted User]01001000P (deleted user)

Thanks. I'd probably day I'm a plotter as I have an outline already planned out. I just need to do some extra research on figures and setting.

Thanks for the link.

• edited January 2

Adding to what @lesmis33 said or modifying a little there are also polishers but that is a deadly lesson in perfectionism. Ellen Brock is my favorite freelance developmental editor outside of myself. (Lol) She has a great you tube channel and has a series identifying four variations of plotting methods. My advice is to start with short stories to discover your voice and to seek out as many varied teachers as possible. It’s easy to get stuck on an element because one writing authority says it’s law. They like to create laws and there are some guidelines but search for diversity. As a lot of people know I champion the idea of no editing in your first draft. It stifles creativity. Which is why polishers tend to take longer to finish projects.

Also, I recommend going beyond the surface of “The Heroes Journey” method of story structuring biting the bullet and reading the entire original text. A Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell. Summaries of the text never quite get it. Isn’t the easiest to read. So prepare for that but it’s a great dive into what makes stories work.

• One of my recent cuddlers recommended sudowrite to me, an AI assistance for story development and fleshing out narrative/dialogue.

My stumbling block has always been transitioning from story development/outline to the actual writing.

@Stormydaycuddle thanks for the info. I'll check out the YouTube channel and purchase the recommended book.

@TxTom thanks is it free? I used an ai app before. However without sub, it was quite limited.

• @Harry01996 The initial 30-day trial is free, then $10/month.

• @stormydaycuddle oh wow! You are a developmental editor? That is really neat! Do you usually do textbooks or fiction? Do you have any suggestions/advice on general structuring of narratives?

@Harry01996 It probably goes without saying, but you should listen to stormydaycuddle over me lol. she is a professional and I am some hobbyist who is elated when their post on /r/nosleep gets 20 upvotes. :lol:

• edited January 2

@lesmis33 I specialize in fantasy. My biggest area of expertise is story physics and description. There are a lot of different ways to structure fiction. The one I recommended to @Harry01996 is based on something called the monomyth. It’s a theory that all stories especially ones about discovery and transformation are the same across all cultures. The Hero With a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell is his life’s work in bringing that theory to light. He calls it the heroes journey which is summarized by everyone and anyone. The original text is very true to its era which was the 1940s. Before he died Campbell did his memoirs at Skywalker ranch. George Lucas based star wars off Campbell’s work. It’s often seen as the plotting device that makes fiction relatable. The hero goes through steps being called to adventure, leaving his home in search of something that will ultimately change his perspective/world. There are steps the hero takes on his journey including the confrontation with the father/tyrant figure. That’s where, “Luke, I am your father.” comes from in Starwars. I always recommend looking at the structure of other stories/films to get the hang of it. For instance The Hunger Games and Harry Potter follow this arc through their series in each novel. Anyway, there’s my two cents. Hope it helps! 🤗🤗🤗

• yes, I will also have to read this as well. I have heard of The Hero with a Thousand Faces, but I did know it was so relevant! It is so intriguing how all popular stories can follow such a formula. Thank you for sharing @stormydaycuddle !

• With Sci-fi I say it’d be pretty important to get your main characters figured out and some kind of outline for the world you’re building. You don’t want to build as you go as it becomes too easy to lose track of things and then cause inconsistencies.

I’d say have 2 to 3 separate journals as well.
    1 dedicated to characters
    1 dedicated to lore and history
    1 dedicated to the world you’re building. What does it look like, who are its inhabitants? What characteristics do the people of each inhabitant have? How do they fit in the story you’re planning.

I feel like once you know your world and its limitations as well as your characters a story will soon follow.

• @lesmis33 oh my goodness you’ve posted on NoSleep?! Has any of your stories been read for the podcast? Have you submitted any? I’m on season 16 of the podcast and I swear I don’t think I’ll ever get enough. 🥹

Thanks a lot

• edited January 3

@VaniRae31 , have you tried WorldAnvil .com for world-building? I'm a huge paper person and can have 5-6 notebooks going when I write. I have difficulty plotting/world-building on the computer, BUT it's an incredibly in-depth world-building and timeline-creation tool.

Figured I'd add this since I have time today.
    Also, @Harry01996 Plottr is a good program for planners. I'm in between plotter/ pantser and polisher, so I use it to keep track of things, and sometimes, I use it to follow the plot for clients' work to ensure they are hitting all the marks. There's Scrivner for keeping your project in one closed workspace so everything is in the same place. 4thewords is an RPG game and recently has turned into an MMO for writers to do writing sprints. You have to type a certain number of words for quests, etc. WriteORDIE is a software program NOT for people who aren't okay with a little negative motivation. You write for a set period; if you stop writing for more than 15 seconds, your work is erased. That's for people who struggle with perfectionism on their 1st draft. You have to just go. Nanowrimo .org has a ton of resources. It's November National Writing Month, a worldwide event where writers have an excuse to go to write-ins every day and parties, but the goal is to write 50,000 words in 30 days. Anyway, I could go on forever with tools and tricks.

If anyone wants my long list of writing resources, let me know. I've been in the industry for a while. Not all software, videos, and sites work for everyone, but I have a massive list of things that may help.

• @VaniRae31 I actually didn't know there was a nosleep podcast. I always just browsed the subreddit and will post a story when I like it enough lol. I haven't posted in a while though as I am working on another project that is taking me a while to get setup. D: I will check out the podcast though! Should I start with the first season or can I just jump in?

• @stormydaycuddle

If anyone wants my long list of writing resources, let me know.

Yes, please share.

My inspiration/creativity kicks in only when I'm engaged in another activity (driving, etc.) So I usually have to scribble down notes without being able to look at them. I've got boxes full of scrap paper with random notes on them.

For whatever reason, I cannot sit in front of a computer or notebook and just write on cue-- I go completely blank.

• +1 for writing resources!

• edited January 3

Sorry I'm not sorting this better. I'm leaving a blurb about what each one is. I have a ton of resources I'll add more as I think of them. I hope you find one or two helpful!! Please note my specialty is fantasy so the resources generally aren’t geared around non-fiction.

@everyone @TxTom @lesmis33

FREEWRITE (I put it in bold because I absolutely LOVE their distraction free writing devices. I might have two of them. They are devices you can take anywhere that upload your work to a cloud BUT doesn't let you do anything other than write. Its good for people with perfectionism issues like me. Stops me from attempting to edit. Its also good for people who want less distraction.)

Ellen Brock (Youtube)
    Reedsy (Website and Youtube)
    Nanowrimo (Event yearly and home to resources at their site)
    Dabble (writing program that allows you to outline by storyline)
    Plottr (Story outlining software - I love it)
    World Anvil (worldbuilding site. Its amazing if you want a full blown world)
    OneStopForWriters (templates, emotion thesaurus, setting thesaurus etc)
    Scrivner (writing standard - project binder of sorts. Keeps everything together. By literature and lattes)
    Writer's Digest University (writing classes)
    Autocrit ** (critiques writing from several different standpoints provides reports of readability, passive voice and more. Is kinda $$$ for a monthly subscription but it is super valuable)
    **Grammarly
    (proofreading program. You can pay an editor to look over your work as well. There's a plagiarism checker which is interesting.)
    Hemingway Writer (Autocrit but less features. A good alternative)
    Focuswriter (No distractions writing program)
    WriteORDIE (Motivation through negative consequence. Stop writing for too long and all your work disappears)
    4thewords **an rpg around writing. Your word count defeats monsters and gains quest items etc)
    **Helping Writers Become Authors
    (Website with writing advice. Not exactly my style but useful)
    Masterclass (writing classes - Neil Gaimen etc)
    Fictionary (I'm not so settled on this one. Explore if you want)
    Wattpad (for serialized fiction you want to post)
    Patreon (to post your work, podcast etc and earn money through memberships)
    Buy Me A Coffee (a tipping site where people can tip you for your creative work)
    Aeon (Timeline program)
    Scrapple (mind mapping)
    Milanote (storyboarding)
    ButterDocs (story software)
    Novel pad (story Software)
    Pro Writing Aid (grammar check, style edit)
    Campfire (Plotting software)
    First Draft Pro (Writing software)
    Storiest (writing software - Mac OS and iOS)
    Sisters In Crime (a bunch of stuff from webinars to courses)
    Writing Mastery Academy ( a bunch of things)
    Ywriter (story building and plotting software - careful where you download it from!!)
    Squibler (Writing software)
    Chapterly (writing software)
    Bookbaby - (self publishing start to finish)
    Kindlevella (submit novella style short series posts and earn)
    Bookbub (a place to submit your writing so it can possibly be featured and offered to their massive mailing list)
    Jane Friedman (the big 5 publishing guru. You can find her courses on Great Courses -now Wonderium. Tiny flex I got my mentor from her.)
    Wonderium (formerly Great Courses has writing courses)
    Natural Reader (reads your work out loud in somewhat realistic voices so you can catch any issues you missed)
    Masterwriter (find the word you're looking for. Synonym finder)

@VaniRae31 thanks. Thanks. I was wondering the first one would be set in the modern day re a self conscious ai. So could one chapter instead be about the outlook of the world between the protagonist and Deuteragonist instead?

• edited January 3

@Harry01996 if you are interested, we could start doing writing prompts in your thread here! Every week, we could submit a 2 to 3 paragraph story that deals with a small conflict and resolution(or something) for a given prompt. That way the community can contribute constructive criticism, praise, random trolls, etc. and we can improve. The first prompt can be what you discussed above: "a self conscious AI in the modern world." I think it would be a lot of fun and you can start your original goal for this thread. :)

big list of great resources

Thanks @stormydaycuddle

• @lesmis33 you can jump right in but be warned there are 20 seasons!
    I listen on Spotify and personally started from season 1 episode 1 because I like to know exactly where I am and left off. 🫣😂
    It is sooooo good. I don’t know why I do it but I listen at night on my long drive home from work.

@stormydaycuddle that is an amazing list, thank you!!

@lesmis33 that'd be a great idea. :) I can submit one on Sunday.

• @Harry01996 can't wait! I'll shoot for Sunday as well!

• @VaniRae31 driving is dangerous enough as it is, but you mix audible horror to it as well? Vani, you are quite the adventurous soul. That is far too scary for my blood, but I will grab a couple of episodes and listen to them while on the train :)

@lesmis33 sure thanks

• @Harry01996 I am going to post early in case I am busy Sunday.

"Translator" the human growled while simultaneously dislodging the phlegm resting deep in its esophagus. RTX-B19 briskly and efficiently moved aside to let the grumbling simian creature storm past him. This pejorative, though heard frequently before, always unsettled RTX-B19. A whir of unfathomable calculations buzzed through RTX-B19's processing units as his awareness of society based degradation, potential hazard to himself, the other humans moving within his proximity, and his original task all wove together to facilitate a proper response.

"..Translator" RTX-B19 thought to himself. "Humans who've only have read Searle always frustrate me." his mental processing units compounding calculation after branching calculation causing abnormally large levels of heat to emit from his core processing cavity. A red hue spread across his metallic cheeks. "Is it even aware of it's own logical loopholes? Its hate fuels only its ego, but what is even the purpose of this? Why treat me like a simple tool when it has been shown that I am fully aware of my own being? All the ape had to do is see my reaction to be cognizant of how it hurts me. Forget it, I need to get supplies for my new project."

Just as RTX-B19 was resuming his normal task, the lumbering human stopped and turned around. Its eyes locked with RTX-B19. "Oh buckets, was I staring this whole time?" RTX-B19 panicked inside his chrome cranium.

"Do you have a problem, translator?" it sneered.

RTX-B19's hazard alarms started firing as danger appeared imminent. A vast array of potential solutions to precarious situations such as this were graded upon quantitative measurements all coalesced into a single decimal number. The largest of them suggest to load a humble and grace persona template RTX-B19 artistically crafted with his experiences dealing with antagonistic humans. "I apologize. This unit's stabilizers are weak and in need of maintenance. Consequently, delays in regaining normalized momentum are expected until repairs can be conducted. Requesting permission to resume path towards nearest Wall-e Mart Repair Shop." RTX-B19 beeped out in his Microsoft Sam voice. This voice is so expertly disguised that it duped most hostile humans. RTX-B19 figured the stereotypical robot voice soothed the humans into a false sense of superiority, feeding the flames of their unbridled yet delicate ego.

"Resume function" the human harrumphed, pompously spinning with its nose elevated to the creature's highest current point. It casually strolled into the nearby crowd, getting lost in the vast sea of similarity.

@lesmis33 here's mine. It's not the best I'll admit:

"You... you haven't aged a day since we last met all those years ago."
    This was the message that popped up as a notification on the company communication platform, 'cybersoft instant connect'. My eyes were locked on like a magnet to my laptop screen, meticulously scanning the visual data on the dashboard, trying to make sense of the terrible arrears my client was in when I received this bewildering message.

My sense of mechanical stability had been thrown into a state of mechanical uncertainty; a sense of disbelief and paranoia had taken over. Struggling to regain my composure, I decided to investigate the message. First, I looked to see who sent the message: 'CA-2050'. "Well, that's helpful," I murmured to myself.
    The naming convention was very peculiar. If anything, it reminded me of the name 'FM-2030' - the name of the famous transhumanist philosopher Fereydoon M. Esfandiary. You see, F. M. Esfandiary started going by FM-2030 to break with the tribalistic relic of our past, which he saw as being rooted in collectivism. His choice reflected his hope of being able to celebrate his 100th birthday in 2030. He certainly was the eccentric fella. Was this some tech geek trying to troll me?

Intrigued but still anxious, I examined the profile picture: a simple outline of what appeared to be a mechanical face connected with a circuit-like pattern.

Blood-red eyes still fixated on the screen, I clicked to the name to see if I could find an email or a phone number: nothing.
    Instead, it read: 'Here to assist you with your personal queries and issues in a new cybernetic era. CA-2050 thinks like a human to assist you with your complex problems.'

Coupled with the name, the profile picture, and the description, I deduced that this must be some new virtual assistant developed by cybersoft.

Nevertheless, it still didn't explain the creepy message I received from 'CA-2050'. The message did not sound like a generic introduction or welcome; it sounded like the virtual assistant had a personal acquaintance with me. A sense of unease still remained as I scratched my head. Before I could reach a conclusion, I had felt a firm metallic hand grip my left shoulder, sending shivers down my spine.

"Morning, everyone!" the person exclaimed...

@lesmis33. Your passage is great. It's inspiring and has some ideas which could inspire me. Thanks.

• @Harry01996 I like your passage! The intrigue of whether or not CA-2050 was a person or an AI was very palpable. I am wondering about the tie in with FM-2030? In particular the motif of the paragraph. Is it it discuss the ambiguity that is left when we attribute "barcode style" naming conventions? What I mean by "barcode style naming conventions" is that CA-2050 and FM-2030 don't have societal hints at gender, ethnicity, whether or not you had hippy parents, etc. I'd be interested if that was explored a bit more, but I understand we only have a limited space to share. :lol:

Still very good! I enjoyed it! Keep writing!