Share Your Self Care Protocols

edited January 10 in General

🌿 Greenhouse Retreat:

After a fulfilling day's work in the greenhouses, my DIY staple for relaxation involves indulging in a salt/bubble bath. Water, a trusted ally, becomes my go-to for both pain and stress relief. At the local rec center, I find solace in swimming laps, complemented by the therapeutic offerings of a whirlpool, steam room, and dry saunas.

❄️ Chilling Elixir for Joint Pain:

For an unconventional but effective approach to joint pain and inflammation, I embrace the invigorating cold shower or ice bath plunge. While the initial discomfort prevails, the aftermath is a surge of revitalisation and energy, courtesy of the Wim Hof method.

❤️ Harvest Rewards:

During the culmination of a bountiful harvest, I treat myself to an indulgent 1-hour deep tissue massage by a professional. This is followed by an extended 90-minute session of floating in a sensory deprivation tank at a local float tank center/spa. It's a luxurious and deeply rejuvenating experience, leaving me feeling truly special.

🌺 Share Your Self-Care Secrets:

I'd love to hear about the self-care regimens that make your days extraordinary. What rituals or practices do you beautiful people incorporate into your lives for a healthier, happier you?

Comments

• Thanks for sharing your regiment! I have similar routines!

My typical moments for relaxation call for an edible, piping hot bubble bath, and some crosswords/Sudoku. It really helps me unplug and reset my mind. I tend to over indulge so my heart beats way too vigorously when I get out. :lol:

For months of prolonged and compounding stress, I have a local reflexologist that really helps realign all my tendons and muscles. During my 90 minute session, I am in excruciating pain, but afterwards, I feel so peaceful and relaxed. My head is foggy for at least 3 hours but my posture is easier to maintain, I sleep better, and I don't experience the persistent pains that ail me. This relief lasts me for literally months! I have a session scheduled soon in fact! I am very excited for that as work is being especially dreadful as of late.

I recently purchased a weighted blanket and it helps me sleep so much better. I feel so comfy and relaxed under it. It is really difficult to stay away from though so I think I might be addicted. :lol: Oh and silk pillow cases to keep my face from breaking out. They also stay nice and cool throughout the night ^_^

• @lesmis33 That all sounds so lovely. Our endocannabinoid system knows just what to do with that plant medicine.

I've never tried professional reflexology but I'm definitely curious. I did get to try cupping and I had a very euphoric glow afterwards, similar to that of a post deep tissue haze.

How heavy is your weighted blanket, if you don't mind me asking?

• edited January 11

@CompassCuddles Oh I had cupping once! My thighs really needed it after I started running regularly(I am terrible about stretching before hand). I had giant round bruises all over them afterwards. I was literally polka dotted :lol:

My reflexologist is also a physical therapist so she is rather unique. She does wonders though. It is a completely different experience from a soothing massage so I must caution you. My reflexologist focuses on certain pressure points and works to properly align or untangle my tendons and muscles. When I had my first one, she could hit a point on my upper shoulder which would cause my same side buttocks to flex uncontrollably. One of my shoulders also didn't heal right and she was able to work it into a better alignment but it was painful. There was one point she worked on in my lower abdomen that made my whole body seize up and wretch in pain. However, it is the prolonged sense of serenity afterwards that is the pay off though. A massage with some hot stones is a much more relaxing experience lol.

I have two blankets: 20lbs and 15lbs. I tend to just use the 20lb one, but sometimes both :smirk: The blanket weight vs my weight chart suggested 15lbs but it just wasn't enough for me. I liked to be smooshed. :D Thanks for asking! Are you thinking about getting one?

• Working outdoor in Sun & wind. Strength training in gym during cold seasons. Hot shower. Massage from my regular LMT. Music. Food. Sleep. Body pillow.

• @CompassCuddles I love hot and cold therapy too! I hope one day I can have my own setup at home. It pushes the mind and body and truly brings me peace.

My routine consists of:
    Daily - skin care, lots of water, weightlifting & yoga, nourishing food, good amount of sleep, getting outside, quiet time
    Less often - cold/hot therapy, massage, meditation, social gatherings, baths & heating pads (to manage muscle pain)

• I have some issues with chronic pain and do my best to manage without any additional meds. I usually take 2 short scorching hot baths a day. Calisthenics to stay firm. Do my best to maintain anti-inflammatory diet. Tons of water, and some skincare before my beauty sleep. As regularly as possible, massages and taking time to be outdoors away from everything listening to nature and breathing fresh air.

• Wow, I'm impressed. Let's keep normalizing taking time for ourselves. I do want to get a weighted blanket in my arsenal.

• @CompassCuddles YES, we may run into caring people, but no one is responsible for taking care of us. More often than not it’s the reverse and what everyone else expects from us.

Take time to take care of yourself now, before you get to a point it could be too late. It is OK to say NO sometimes and make time for yourself.

• I use a Moon Pal weighted stuff animal to sleep with and just cuddle when I'm lounging in bed solo. I'd love a weighted blanket but I read they're a suffocation hazard for small children, which makes me concerned for my cat.

• @NickWk Do you use epsom salt in your bath? It can help a lot. I love it!

@interalia626 I think with the small children, they are not able to roll over yet. And then there’s SIDS, and so they are not supposed to sleep with blankets at all, a sleep sac is better. My cat doesn’t really get under blankets, just on top of. So I think it would be fine, if you cat doesn’t vary greatly from mine.

• I’m comfortable with my masculinity so I’ll admit straight up the most relaxing thing I can do SECOND to cuddling is soaking in a nice hot bubble bath, lights low or dark, and silent.

(I don’t do wine, reading a book or consuming bon bons like some women though, that’s the distinction).

• Really enjoyed reading this thread😌

In my journey of self-care, meditation and preparing all kinds of juices/teas have been key. The Silva Meditation is one of my favorites, along with practicing focused breathing techniques.

• Silva method is awesome. I like Yoga Nidra too.

• Straight up lying down in the dark, turning off phone for a few , and taking in pure silence

• @CuddleHugs01234 He's been known to burrow under covers. Wouldn't feel ok risking it.

• I self medicate with a lot of natural supplements, and use my Prana Breath app for guided breathing as a sort of meditative practice. I also use an Apollo wearable for my nerves.

• @interalia626 I completely understand. :)

• Well, as I consider indulging in pleasure/happiness to be an important key to self-care and longevity...

Grilled steak burger, topped with a fried egg, cheddar cheese, a thick slice of tomato, onions, and crunchy lettuce. Enjoyed with a side of seasoned steak fries.

• New guy in town :)

I use nature to relax. I often walk through the woods. I take time to listen to the animals, particularly birds. I also ride a bike a lot, I find my lifes hassle peel off as the wind flows over me. Yoga also helps on bad weather days. Massage is also nice but pricey so save that for special needs.
    Thanks for this thread, I will look into the different types of yoga mentioned. Plus I should take a bath more often, I have a huge tub.

• I do a lot of similar things and also recently began to take breaks from my phone, I tell my loved ones I’m alive and turn it off for 24-48 hours. I also don’t use social media bc I think it’s havoc for your health. Hmmm what else, cleansing the house with sage.

• I'm about to burn some sage right now. 🙏🏽🌿

• @jessabb I still have my accounts but I deleted Facebook and Instagram apps from my phone, and I'm happier for it. Besides those two I haven't been big into any other social media platform since the Myspace days.

• @interalia626 @@jessabb

My facebook is deactivated. I keep it in case there are community events I can only RSVP through there, or I'm fund raising for a cause.

I kept my insta active but I don't keep any social apps on my phone either. I also set a timer if I need to get in them. It's so freeing not having my attention highjacked.

• @CompassCuddles
    In addition to avoiding ultra processed foods, I eat organic as much as I can and I get plenty of exercise (cycling, hiking, and weight lifting). I also track my sleep and ensure I average at least 7 hours of quality sleep per night.

Beyond that, I use my IR sauna about 3 times per week and 1,800 watts of Red Light Therapy panels for 20 minutes per day 4 or 5 times per week. Jeremy Renner uses the same brand of panels I have and he recently mentioned them in a social media post about his recovery from his near fatal accident last year.

• This is a nice thread as it reminded me that my favourite things for taking care of myself are exercise and cooking great food. Thanks for this!

• Ooh, infrared saunas are sooo nice. I could do better with my nourishment. Grocery prices are finally starting to stabilize.

• @john5555 Now that you mentioned exercise, I'm kicking myself for not thinking of mentioning this sooner. I've been following the "Fitness Ladder" for years and it's a blessing as it makes it as easy and simple as can be to start and stick with a reasonable exercise regimen. It was published as a module in a diet program for weight loss but I've never dealt with any of that. I stumbled upon it years ago in the comments of another fitness article and it was just what I needed as a not heal-and-fitness aficionado but someone who aims to keep fair wellness habits.

https://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/exercise.html

• I Exercise, weight lifting and some Cardio. I take warm baths often. Baths are so soothing. I try to eat healthy. I aim for seven or more hours of sleep each night. I tuned out the world and put on headphones and listen to music .

• Loving this post! My self care encompasses many things including cuddling, quality time with friends and loved ones, yoga, eating well, being in nature and occasionally getting massages.
    Three staples I rely on to lend my best sense of well being are cuddling, hiking / being in nature, and getting my nails done. As superficial as nails may seem it helps keep me grounded in the understanding that I am worth investing in.

• edited January 17

I like to watch non-pro 2+ yoga challenge fails cuz they are always laughing and giggling when they fall. Kindof gives me the motivation to just laugh and giggle when I fall or feel down 😅