Bed Bugs

Anyone else worried about the rise of bed bugs?

Comments

• Mmmmm love em

• Anyone else worried about the rise of bed bugs?

Only if they show up with little tiny guns, waving little tiny flags, following their bug leader who's wearing a little tiny eyepatch or something.

• @pmvines

Mmmmm love em

Is that an infinite food exploit? They eat you; you eat them.
    No more need to bring home the bacon. They're the bacon at home.

• Not until you brought it up…But I’ve only had one cuddle where someone else hosted.

All of my cuddles have been in my home on a newer organic cotton super duper amazing mattress with a great cover. Bedbugs would be murdered mercilessly if they got within a zip code of my place!

• I do socialwork. I have seen and dealt with bed bugs dozens of times. They are annoying but not dangerous. They do NOT spread disease. They are easy to identify visually and by their behavior.

• @MiamiFisher What are the best ways to treat it? I experienced it once about 12 years ago at an old apartment complex. It was not fun.

• @KittyPukka You could always just check to make sure they are not where you are cuddling. I do that at hotels when I travel. You just pull up whatever is on the bed, meaning comforter, sheets, mattress cover, and view the mattress on the side. They are visible to the naked eye. You could also put on your profile that you always check for those. I’ve never dealt with them, but read that it’s a hassle to get rid of them.

• edited March 30

This is a dead adult bed bug. I keep it in a jar to help my client identify potential pests.

• edited March 30

@MiamiFisher mind if I snag this for my new profile pic?

It's sort of oddly sweet that you include it's leg in there. Very sentimental.

• I wasn't until now 😅

• I do socialwork. I am not an exterminator. So this is not expert advice but rather just my experience on how to deal with bed bugs.
    Launder everything
    Take down everything off your walls
    Pull appliances and furniture away from the walls and treat behind and under everything.
    Treat with products that state they are effective against the adult and eggs stages of bed bugs. Repeat treatments for entire home
    Encase all mattresses in plastic after first treatment with mattress protection designed for bed bugs.

• Because I host, I use a really high powered vacuum on every Cuddle client before they come into my apartment. I do this in the hall outside my door and cover every inch of them to be sure that there are no bugs arriving with them.
    Yes, there are hazards involved, like hair being pulled out, clothes being pulled off (which poses a whole other problem in the process).
    But we all know that Cuddling is very serious business with lots of risks involved!
    Maybe keep a jar of the little critters on hand, though for those clients who deserve them?
    Ok that was fun.

• Sadly, some of us are at a disadvantage, as we can't see with our eyes at all. Therefore, finding bedbuggs would be tricky, and I think it would be teribly awkward to ask a cuddler about it. I've had them a few years ago, and it was a beyond horrific experience. I couldn't afford to treat them and had to have help, both finantially and physically to do so. We hired professionals to do the treatment, but had to ready the place ahead of time for them. I question weather I'd survive another encounter. To this day, I'm apprehensive if I have to stay in a hotel. I guess you could say bed buggs really did a number on me, and I'll probably never be quite the same.

• Bed Bug & Beyond

• Sounds like a movie.

Terminator 5, the Rise of Bed Bugs

• I'm on the phone all day in the hotel business, and I do get many more complaints than I used to from hotel guests about bed bugs in hotels around the world.

• @Morpheus isn't it EXTerminator 5?

• Yes there is and John 5 plays the starring role

• I've yet to encounter bed bugs at somebodies place, but more frequently I've seen mold, usually in the bathroom.

The rare times the hotel I use to work at ever had a bed bug report, the room would have certain items pulled from it and immediately disposed of while they'd bring in massive heaters, turn them on to heat the room to around 140-180 degrees, then tape seal the outside of the door frame to leave it heated for the next 5 days. Then they'd bug bomb the room and I think do another round of heat before allowing a guest into the room. In 3 years working there, I only ever saw this happen once.

• Aren't they a nuisance when they bite and expensive to kill? Sounds like a nightmare to me.

• Interesting thing about bed bugs is that you have to have the allergen to them for you to have the noticeable large , itchy bumps associated with them . Otherwise you could be getting bit and not even realize it .

• edited March 31

If you get bed bugs, would it be noticeable when you lift your mattress? I use these straps to secure my bed sheet to the mattress so I have to lift it completely off the box spring every time I change the sheets. I am not worried about actually having bed bugs, but I was just wondering if they can be seen outside the mattress.

• edited March 31

Mark Rober (the guy who made glitter bombs for porch pirates) did a video about bed bugs.

He explains how to diagnose and how to get rid of them yourself by ignoring all the BAD advise that the internet usually has.

• edited March 31

@CharlieBear people usually detect them my their poops , which essentially are tiny spots of blood

• I've had two hospice patients this past year with bed bugs . One was in public housing and the landlord was responsible, the other was in an old home . Treatment is expensive and laborious , and not something many can feesibly do . And almost no resources at all, at least here in Alabama , for financial assistance with treatment .

• @CharlieBear they seem to really like the seams (my aunt had bed bugs at one point) like @pmvines said they're most easily detected by their poop which would just be tiny dark spots. Juvenile bed bugs are harder to spot because they're very light. Almost like a translucent yellowish color. But adults are going to be clearly visible.

My dad did know someone who treated his house himself by renting multiple industrial heaters and turning them all the way up, then leaving his house for a weekend. A DIY heat treatment I suppose. But a pro would be someone's best/safest bet 😅

A residents mom also brought bedbugs into the nursing home I worked at. We carried spray bottles of rubbing alcohol everywhere with us 😭

• I know bed bugs can occur anywhere and I do have concern for them, but I change/inspect my clothes after each client and I typically have only gotten cuddles at higher end/cleaner hotels since I live in a touristy area, so I do feel slightly more at ease. Hopefully not encountering any time soon 🤞🏻

• @MiamiFisher Thanks for the info!

• @MiamiFisher that pic lmaoooo 🤣

• Not worried about this.