Previously-banned member trolling the forums

2»

Comments

• edited April 17

@starrynitecuds as with most things, toxicity is in the eye of the beholder.

But I don’t think that applies to the toxicity of cyanide.

• @BoomerSpooner thank you for proving her point with your profound dismissiveness.

• edited April 17

@starrynitecuds how was I proving who’s point? Can you explain where I was dismissive? And please take note that I was not dismissing your post…asking for clarification.

Are you talking about the YouTube lady? If so you yourself said some may think she is biased and some may not. I was addressing that point—it is in the eye of the beholder unless you don’t really mean what you wrote.

• @BoomerSpooner but what if you inject the cyanide in the eye of the beholder?

• @Sooson Then I guess it is toxic to that beholder.

• @BoomerSpooner Please stop deflecting. You posted a flippant remark, not a question or request for clarification.

• edited April 17

@starrynitecuds I am asking for clarification about what I dismissed and you seem to be deflecting from offering a concrete explanation. Making an unfounded attack without explanation and following it up after I asked for specifics is toxicity on your part.

how was I proving who’s point? Can you explain where I was dismissive? And please take note that I was not dismissing your post…asking for clarification.

You took that for flippancy and not a genuine question for clarification?Next time I will use invisible ink so you can read whatever you want into what I say depending on your mood.

But I am going to disengage because your mind is already made up.

• edited April 17

@TxTom - If you told the police that some guy online was making death threats, what are they going to do with that? The site owner probably has access to more identifiable information such as their I.P. address.

• I wonder if whoever the culprit is is reading this thread and laughing his ass off. Most of the trolls just wants attention.

• @BoomerSpooner calling for a kinder forum experience is fantastic and fits right in with what I was saying - that we make the forums what we want of them. We have to be the change, so to speak.

Just popping in to say that they are toxic, in response to a thread about a highly problematic person being banned, doesn't exactly read "let's make the forums a better place, folks". Instead, to me at least it reads more akin to "y'all brought this on yourselves".

Toxicity is indeed a subjective concept, and what some consider toxic others consider just disagreement and diversity. I think it's far more valuable to look at whether there is harm occuring, and what gets done to stop and prevent it.

No, trolls do not occur in a vacuum, but there are also those bad actors who would behave badly no matter what the platform. Jumping in to say you're not surprised because of toxicity does absolutely zero to promote change, especially when you then immediately delete your account. I don't believe he was making a statement for the improvement of the community - he was making a grand exit announcement, justifying his leaving by in fact victim blaming those targeted by the troll, that they were somehow partially at fault for participating in the forums.

And the only "clique" I've really noticably seen is those that follow and promote the site rules, and those that don't. If people feel excluded because they don't want to follow the rules on a platform, that is on them.

• WOW this is unbelievably sad!!!! I thank all of the great and smart moderators we have here providing a strong safety net here. Keep up the good work!!!!

• @Mike403 mobile phones dont have fixed ip addresses so that’s an issue.

• edited April 17

Instead, to me at least it reads more akin to "y'all brought this on yourselves".

@cuddlefaery Thank you for coming in with an intelligent retort rather than someone making an attack and when asked for clarification, doubling down. The part of your post I quoted is what I meant by eye of the beholder and subjectivity. It is how you read it which does not mean how someone else may read it. Instead of assuming and lecturing someone on what one thought they meant, why not ask for clarification? But as you can see, asking for clarification of an attack makes you somehow more toxic to some people. I ask for clarification for a reason. I am not perfect, nor do I have all the answers, but if I ask for clarification it could mean that there was a misunderstanding, or if I was doing something wrong, I want to know what it is to learn. I am sprecifically addressing what another member said when I asked for clarification.

As far as your response to @MrAdmirer, I think a better approach would be to ask what he meant, because I have seen much of what he has written in the past and he was just making a generalized statement about the forums. Even the greatest of evils started with a small annoyance and I think that is what he is trying to convey—but I won’t know until I ask him. I think his point on kindness is on point—why not make sure he means what you think he means before addressing the matter. Otherwise your response is toxic as well. And I will be the first to admit I have done exactly what I am pointing out, but I am trying to be a better person, and after I drop off this briefcase, I am going to wander the earth like Caine in Kung Fu. (Couldn’t help picturing myself as Samuel L Jackson at this point). But seriously, we should make sure what someone means when they make a general statement because they could mean far less than what you think they meant.

• @Morpheus - Everything that connects to the internet is given at least a dynamic IP address and the ISP will be able to check to see who was assigned that IP address at the time in question.

• mobile phones dont have fixed ip addresses so that’s an issue.

True but one of the mods stated they traced a few of the alts to the same area, so I don’t think we are dealing with your garden variety mastermind here but more of a possibly dangerous moron who is butt hurt over things not going their way. They really need a cyber pacifier.

• @TxTom wow so you really do just need to be snarky no matter what? Can’t learn or take feedback? Even when people are dealing with stalking and harassment, you just MUST be snarky towards them?

Speaks volumes to your character. It’s sad, really.

• @bobadevotee
    "Snarky"?

If you go back and look at that other thread where you posted the screenshot, you'll see that I have been sympathetic to you, regardless of what you thought of my advice.

As for my character, I'm not calling any members of this site "callous" or any other names, nor am I calling an entire community of law enforcement members "bastards."

You have a nice day.

• edited April 17

The boards have basically been the same for years. There are generally two camps that, put it how you want to put it, argue, don’t agree, have passionate conversations or whatever you want to call it. Occasionally there will be a member like “deathwish” that will wreak havoc. Most people on this site and on the boards have a lifespan though, they go away on their own, get banned, delete their profile or whatever happens. In the 9 years that I’ve been on the site and on the boards, there’s really only one other member I see on here regularly for all of those years. So, whoever is bothering you, annoying you, disagreeing with you, maybe being more passionate than you would like them to be, if you stick around, I promise you they’ll eventually be gone.

• My cat wants you all to stop fighting.

• @Morpheus Yep, just like bad attitudes at a work place. Mine has high turn over, so, yes, they eventually leave. :)

• @TxTom The silent majority understands that you were sympathetic and that your intentions were good.

• @CuddleHugs01234 So what's your secret?

• edited April 17

@Sooson Try to keep a good attitude and stay longer than them. :) And remember why I’m there. :)

• A friend of mine was my coworker back in the day and we would argue over the same thing every day as a joke. I think we were the only ones that found it to be funny 😅 And now I understand what my other coworkers felt 🫠

• I’m gonna lock this thread.

This discussion has been locked.