Let's talk about: Communication Differences

I didn't want to hijack the other thread where people are venting about feeling like the forums can be combative and become increasingly louder arguments over who is right, but some of the comments brought to mind how understanding differences in communication styles can make a huge difference in how one interprets what people say.

Storytime:

One of the biggest flashing neon signs that I am neurodivergent that went missed/ignored for 30 years is how I tend to communicate "differently than most". It causes a lot of misunderstandings over the years and the anxiety over not being able to communicate what my brain thought was fairly straightforward caused me to withdraw socially and become increasingly shy. I basically stopped talking around people I wasn't very comfortable with, whom I knew would either understand what I was trying to say or would ask questions in order to figure it out rather than assume the worst.

Fast-forward to roughly 1999 when I first started interacting socially online and I started realizing I wasn't some freak who always said the wrong thing despite the best intentions.....there was a plethora of people like me, and now I could talk with them and be understood on a level I hadn't for my entire childhood. I didn't have a name for it yet - I just knew I fit in more with the internet misfits, nerds, and weirdos who tended to not socialize in-person easily but who blossomed online.
Fast-forward again to 2009ish when I started my education degree and started taking special education courses. When we talked about interacting with kids on the autism spectrum or with ADHD, kids with learning disabilities and sensory processing issues... I thought to myself, "huh...that kinda sounds like me." It took another decade after that for it to fully sink in that yes, I'm likely at least ADHD, possibly also on the autism spectrum, and that getting diagnosed wouldn't just put a name to what I had been experiencing - it would allow me to finally get the support I had been needing all along.

It took me 5 years to formally get diagnosed, and it hasn't been a magic pill - there is a lot I'm having to unlearn or relearn, skills I never mastered, shortcuts I took that I have to go back and undo. My mental health took a major hit over the years from all the struggles, stress, and constantly just not being able to be "normal". I've slowly been rebuilding myself and regaining my confidence, learning who I am with out masking or pretending to be some fictional perfect version of myself.

Whether you read my backstory or not, there's a few things I've learned about how neurodivergent people tend to communicate:

• We tend to self-reference in order to communicate understanding and/or empathy. To neurotypical people this can often sound like we are trying to show off, "one-up", or make a conversation about ourselves. In reality, we are communicating the way our brains work - by referencing what we know from personal experience and following the pattern logically. When we chime in with a related story, we're trying to communicate that we understand the point being made, or empathize with what happened to you, and we give evidence by telling our own experience.
  • We tend to communicate bluntly/literally - either because that is how our brains work, or because we have years of trauma built up from people misunderstanding us. We say what we mean, there's no hidden agenda or subtext, and we can often have a hard time reading/hearing subtext in what others say as well.
  • We will tend to hold things in for awhile, afraid to butt in or say the wrong thing, and then blurt things out all in a rush. This often is even more extreme in ADHD as impulse control isn't a strong suit.
  • We tend to have special interests which we become experts in and will happily talk about for hours. With ADHD, it tends to be more "Jack of all trades" and switching between many different interests. With autism spectrum, it tends to be one or a small selection that are intensely studied. And for those lucky enough to be dual diagnosis? It tends to be a combination of both, switching from ASD's need for routine to ADHD's need for novelty. Neurodivergent folks tend to collect knowledge and hobbies the way neurotypical people collect objects.
  • We tend to struggle reading social cues and/or reconciling with the need to follow "the rules". The reasons why vary between people, but the end result is similar - we tend to be afraid to screw up, struggle to understand "the game", and get frustrated when the rules or people don't follow the logic that we used to learn to socialize.

In first learning how to work with neurodivergent kids, and then learning coping skills as a neurodivergent adult, there's a few key points I picked up:

• everyone communicates a little differently - even neurotypical people. Cultural differences, education differences, language barriers, hearing & speech impairments, dialects, individual preferences, neurodivergent, etc. It's better to assume we all communicate differently than to assume we are all the same.
  • When communicating via text, tone and body language is lost. It can help people understand you better if you add contextual clues (tone notations, emojis, emphasis, explanations, photos, links, etc.).
  • Communicating what you need from others and your boundaries during a conversation can help everyone feel more comfortable and heard. Examples: if you want to just vent and don't want advice, say that. If you'd rather people not chime in with related stories, address that. If certain topics are triggering and you need to step away from them, communicate the boundary so others know to not keep trying to engage you.
  • If someone's communication style is wildly different than yours and you're struggling, talk to them about the problem. As long as they are remaining civil, try not to assume they are intentionally trying to push your buttons. Having a conversation about how to better communicate with each other can go a long way and can help both parties make small changes to bridge the gaps.
  • Learning about different communication styles and needs helps make for more inclusive and diverse communities, and can lead to more fulfilling dialogues. Far more people than one might think have some form of disability, neurodiversity, mental illness, or other issue that causes them to struggle with communication. It often goes under the radar and is not talked about outside of specialized communities, so the more we talk about it in mixed ones the more we can understand each other.

If you made it this far, thank you! I know I can be long-winded and over-explain, particularly when I feel passionate about a topic.

I'd love to hear what y'all have learned about your own communication styles & needs, how your experiences are different than mine, or any stories you may have about overcoming communication differences!

Β«1

Comments

• @cuddlefaery I am thoroughly convinced that you are either a college professor or an author, but most likely both lol πŸ˜‚

As far as my communication style, I tend to consider myself very witty and charming, while others may consider me sarcastic, and a smart ass might accept the sarcastic part, but I don’t think I accept the smart ass part. And I think that’s how I’ve gravitated towards certain people on here that can maybe understand or I would dare say appreciate some of my humor. Life is already serious and difficult as it is and I just consider that life is vanity basically so yes, sometimes I will engage in a thread and then when I see, it’s starting to turn into an argument I will usually disengage because a lot of the time it’s just not worth it. I don’t need to be right. I just like to see what other peoples point of views are.

• edited April 19

I'd love to hear what y'all have learned about your own communication styles & needs

One problem I face both in person and writing messages online is that sometimes I want to say something, but I don't know how to say it properly. I often find myself writing a message to someone, and then deleting it before I send it. I sometimes over think when writing messages.

As far as communicating verbally goes, I found I try to talk as fast, or faster, than the normal person, but my mind is slow, and it would be more natural for me to talk slower. When I try to talk faster, I begin to stutter. My stuttering isn't related to being nervous, it's just that I am try to talk too quickly and get ahead of myself.

• @cuddlefaery Fascinating topic! I have read part of your initial post, but will have to come back to continue and respond when I can handle it better. I'm very easily overwhelmed, at the moment.

@lonelytauros posted: "I think that’s how I’ve gravitated towards certain people on here that can maybe understand or I would dare say appreciate some of my humor."

I think you're frickin' hilarious. πŸ˜„πŸ€—

~ Sunset Snuggles

πŸ¦„ Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

• @cuddlefaery I took note of you being neurodivergent early on because we have had a few before you on here who I called friends that have left and pop up briefly on occasion. Yes, the communication style is different but the information given is lush, dense and informative. I appreciate your posts even when I might disagree because there have been many times I learn something new.

And thank you for this thread which is illuminating and positive. This is the type of thread that keeps me coming back to the forums. The vent threads have been done to death and really advance nothing productive. Hopefully people will learn a bit about neurodivergent communication because it is not wrong or weirdβ€”it’s different is all.

• @Bodhi777

I often find myself writing a message to someone, and then deleting it before I send it. I sometimes over think when writing messages.

I do this too, and I'll often go back and edit comments/posts repeatedly until the edit window expires πŸ˜… I often save drafts of messages and then force myself to wait to send them, trying to fight the impulsivity, but then the perfectionism kicks in. It's definitely a hard balance to strike. One thing I try to remind myself: if the point got across, then it was good enough.

When I try to talk faster, I begin to stutter. My stuttering isn't related to being nervous

Interesting! I'm basically the opposite way around - my brain goes a mile a second in two dozen different directions and my mouth can't keep up, so I'll occasionally stutter. It's more present when I read aloud - I have to force myself to slow down my reading so my brain-to-mouth pathway can function properly. Via faster methods of text and in person when I'm comfortable, all bets are kinda off though - my filter struggles!

• @lonelytauros teacher, yes, author, mayhaps, but professor? I ain't got money or credit for that 🀣 Besides, I have far more patience for littles than for adults, lol!

But luckily for us, I grew up in a family of smart-asses fluent in sarcasm. I don't use it a lot via text, but I can hold my own in-person! At least this way we can understand and appreciate each other, even if speaking our secondary languages so to speak.

• but will have to come back to continue and respond when I can handle it better. I'm very easily overwhelmed, at the moment.

@SunsetSnuggles absolutely understandable! Sending you virtual hugs and I look forward to hearing your thoughts when you're able πŸ€—

• @BoomerSpooner I've been really grateful for our evolution of interactions the past year. I'd say we are pretty much a classic example of how the communication gap can impact relations, but also how it can be bridged. We started out butting heads a lot and struggling to find common ground, but grew to appreciate our differences through mutual respect and listening.

Getting to connect with people like you is why I engage in debates and disagreements in the forums so much - it's not just to educate or advocate, it's also me trying to clarify not only my position but the other person's so we can understand one another better. I cherish diversity of thought - everyone agreeing with me would be boring and pointless.πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

• edited April 20

I don't know about neurodivergence and have no problem with blunt talk, I have a problem with the swift retreat into name-calling, simply for holding a contrary position. So disagree on issues, but keep it civil.

• I'm just kinda an off the cuff communicator. What you get is authentic me , regardless of who you are I talk to you like we've known each other for years already . Even though I can come across as brash sometimes , if you know me then you know I usually have a smile on my face and don't really take myself seriously . I'm just a sarcastic dork who at the end of the day is a lover not a fighter .

• @cuddlefaery Thanks so much! πŸ€—

I guess I can say this, right-quick...

My communication comes in frequent spurts, when I'm on my phone. Quick texts, short message board posts, I'll do that all day long. Short things don't intimidate me.

But I get extremely overwhelmed when I need or want to express something in-depth, or need to read or write something lengthy. This thread, for example. My PM inbox, here. Long text messages from close friends. E-mails from acquaintances. A response to a serious subject. 🫣

I can't deal with the stress of trying to type back to those, with my thumbs, on a phone. I have to go get on my computer, where I can hammer things out much more efficiently. But the sheer amount of it all keeps me from even starting, so I continuously avoid, and stick to the bite-sized things.

Some people have been very gracious about my issue with this. Others (understandably) think I'm purposefully ghosting them, which is never the case. πŸ‘»

I'm working on this by keeping a list of those larger, more intimidating responses that I really want to get to, prioritizing them by time-sensitivity, and knocking them out slowly but systematically.

Because what has failed in the past is sitting down to slam through a bunch at once...then waking up the next day to a slew of responses, and being right back where I started. πŸ˜†

~ Sunset Snuggles

• @SunsetSnuggles that's a good point, about difficulty with typing out longer responses on mobile devices. It's a fairly common issue - you're not alone!

Out of curiosity, have you tried chunking? As in, responding to longer messages in smaller, easier to manage parcels? I effectively do this a lot since I just save messages and come back to them later to continue, but I've also done it where I respond to one part at a time and address another part maybe days later even.

• @cuddlefaery

Chunking?

Girl, please... Every day I'm chunking.

Ahem...I do chunking with texts sometimes, but ideally I prefer a single stream of consciousness.

~ Sunset Snuggles

• How do you eat an elephant?

The same way you eat an airplane... one bite at a time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Lotito

• @pmvines Definitely off-the-cuff for me as well. For the most part. I would ask you this out of curiosityβ€”do you find the posts when you elaborate, ponder and actually write out your more developed thoughts draw more ire/support/controversy than your off-the-cuff posts? I will be waiting curious about your answer.

• @BoomerSpooner it's interesting because that used to be mostly how I posted . I think over time I just got to the point where I felt like I was taking myself and things too seriously , and I also got to where my ability to care decreased . Like an unfiltered old uncle at the family BBQ . Nowadays people seem genuinely surprised when I'm not posting about my poops or calling someone a stupid Incel . But I don't want to ever get to a point where I'm not taken seriously when I want to be serious , so it's a fine line to tow .

• @pmvines I agree, it’s a constant fine line.

• @cuddlefaery thanks for taking the time to write such an in-depth explanation of the differences in how neurospicy people communicate. I know one of my biggest struggles has been being 'too direct' for many people. Over the years especially in professional settings I have had to learn how to rephrase things so they don't have quite the same punch (so to speak).

This is often now why I prefer to communicate in writing over talking because it gives me time to read it, edit it, rephrase it, etc. But I do find myself sometimes doing as @Bodhi777 said writing and then erasing messages over and over.

It also keeps me from engaging in or posting more in depth things like @SunsetSnuggles mentioned because I know I don't have the time/energy into the editing process.

There is so much about communication with people that is fascinating and if you are interested I suggest listening to the audiobook version of Malcolm Gladwell's "Talking To Strangers". He looks at some of the science of how we communicate in an entertaining manner, but in the audiobook he also uses audio of real dialogue taken from major news stories and breaks down what is happening with the communication.

• edited April 20

I may be going a little off topic with what I’m about to say but when I see people having β€œpassionate” conversations on these boards, I think to myself, if we were all face to face in the same room, we would all probably have a great time together.

• @Morpheus id say you’re right. Would imagine it like this

• I agree completely @cuddlefaery

• edited April 20

Lol!πŸ˜„ I just wanna start off saying that I STRONGLY prefer talking over texting, hence why I will likely CALL (or text "may I call?") over texting if phone numbers are ever exchanged between us.πŸ˜†

My writing style particularly when it comes to discussion forum interactions, has been critique (by others here and elsewhere) as "too happy", "too hostile", "too much attitude", "too silly", "too scatterbrain"or I would get subtle complaints (or humorous jabsπŸ˜‰) about my HABITUAL use of emojis.πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜†πŸ€ͺπŸ™ƒβ˜ΊοΈπŸ˜‹

I type out my responses the same, as if I'm standing there talking in person. And I do put in extra effort to type them out with a certain level of caution, especially if I'm trying to give a serious heartfelt response towards said discussion topic at hand or to another person commenting.😊

Snark or snarkasm (sarcasm) is rooted a lot in most (if not allπŸ˜„) of my comments and even in the few topics of discussion that I have posted here. Because, I strive to not take myself too seriously these days especially the older I tend to get.😊
    But there are certain topics that I have participated in that I do take seriously too🀨, so I try to "limit" my use of snarkasm to a certain degree. πŸ™‚πŸ˜‰
    My choice of wording is simple, basic English even (at least I think it is😊). Lol!😁
    I am a high school graduate who never went to college, may as well say NO COLLEGE afterwards either. As I never did attend any college institution that would be considered as "higher learning" either. πŸ™‚
    And I never took any writing classes, but I can use a dictionary and a thesaurus along with the best of them.πŸ˜πŸ‘
    Lol! I also have come to learn that while communicating here on CC, that I have to "watch my mouth" as I do speak fluent profanity 🀬🀬🀬🀬 my mother (unintentionally) taught me well as a child.πŸ˜„πŸ˜

BUT!☝️

Good thing that I was quietly 🀫 observant when I first joined up here (over a year ago), yes I have noticed that profanity isn't (it seems that way to Me) allowed here on Cuddle Comfort. So when I want to speak on the "Rated R level", I know not to do it here ( or not to do it as MUCH HERE) and to switch over to another social media site (that I am active on) where profanity is allowed.πŸ‘
    Yes, I strive very hard to comment on a "G Rated level" here with ya'll. πŸ˜‡

Hence why I say "Dagnabbit" a lot here.πŸ˜„

As I've said in the beginning, I would much rather TALK over typing.πŸ˜†
    You can hear one's tone and pitch when you're listening to a person speak. You can figure out whether or not a person is serious or not serious through their voice...Well at least I can, as I won't speak for what others are hearingπŸ‘‚ when it comes to hearing other's voices. πŸ—£πŸ—£
    A lot of misunderstandings happens on the other end of someone else reading what was typed by someone else. It's happened a lot to me, one of many reasons that I use emojis in my comments, my messages and my forum discussions too.πŸ™‚
    And as far as my extensive use of emojis whenever I post or comment goes. ..Sighs!πŸ™„πŸ˜

How else can I show my emotions while typing?πŸ˜πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

I am human. I have emotions, it is what it is.
    That's what emojis are for!
    πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜‰πŸ˜œπŸ€ͺπŸ˜πŸ˜›πŸ˜ŒπŸ˜πŸ€¨πŸ˜‘πŸ€”πŸ˜‘πŸ€―πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«πŸ˜΅πŸ₯΄πŸ€’😁

πŸ˜† And yes, I will continue to abuse "the Emoji Privilege" here and elsewhere too.πŸ˜†

• I see people having β€œpassionate” conversations on these boards, I think to myself, if we were all face to face in the same room, we would all probably have a great time together.

@Morpheus πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• @Katota Stop being hostile. Reported.

@CuddleHugs01234 Emojis, huh? :#

• @Minestrone101 Lol. That's right I pulled out the Big-moji on ya!πŸ˜†

• @Katota Admin! 😑 😑 😑

• @Katota i see your one big emoji and raise you these 6 lol