Open or Closed Hand Hugger

I've always been an open-handed hugger, but I've noticed a number of my male friends are closed-handed huggers. When they hug, their hands are like fists. Which type are you?

Comments

• Open. I didn't even know that fist hugs were a thing.

• Both pictures look the same

• True, it's not the best example, but the right hand one is a closed-fisted hug.

• I think I get the point so that would mean I'm open

• [Deleted User]Greybeard (deleted user)

So is the closed hand guy being careful that no one accuse him of grabbing or fondling? I never noticed this.

• Open, I will demonstrate BlueIris

• Why would anyone hug with a closed hand? That makes no sense. I definitely hug with my hands open.

• @JFGreen I look forward to the demonstration.

• @Greybeard that particular photo is of a young man under extreme emotional distress after the shootings at Columbine.

• I am a mix of both. I notice my hand being a fist quite often. X)

• edited September 2017

@Brandi. Interesting, because every time I've observed it, it has always been only guys I've seen do it.

• I just realized when I give bro hugs to my guy friends, I'm closed handed. Maybe I want to hug my guy friends but don't want to feel them lol

• @Morpheus Good point! LOL!

• Open. Closed hands seems... strange to me. Feels awkward.

• I've never heard of a close handed hug. I always give open handed hugs to both gals and guys.
    <3 Jim

• edited October 2017

I know I do the closed hand hug more often than not. I think it's maybe a subconscious anxiety thing. If you look at body language, an open hand is typically a sign of comfort in a situation. I'm pretty sure I do open my hands with the people I feel most comfortable with. Everyone else gets closed fists because some part of me is still uneasy and chooses to stay guarded.

• The more comfortable I am with a person the more open my hands are. I also tend to nuzzle when I hug if I'm real comfortable. I also sometimes hug with my elbows tucked next to their body and both hands up on the shoulder blades instead of one arm around the waist and one around the upper back.

• @waywardchild80 My hands are always open. I do the tight hug under the arms, too! Works well, especially if the guy is much taller than me. Makes for nice chesty contact!

• @BlueIris Yes! I'm only 5'3" and most people I hug are taller then me. Lol

• @waywardchild80 Me, too!! Actually, 5'3" is supposedly an average height for a woman.

• Receiving that kind of forearms-vertical hug feels really good, too. It somehow seems to acknowledge and celebrate the differences between us, while a more standard hug can sometimes make the taller person feel like they must make themselves uncomfortable (by stooping or squatting) to counter the difference in height. This kind of hug can also feel like the person doing it is taking charge, in a way, for their own benefit -- like they just want to pull themselves close whether they get a return hug or not, and that gives a kind of reassurance to the receiver that a more equal exchange does not. There's a whole lot more to it that I can't figure out how to put to words, but the general underlying theme to it is that the inequality (or non-uniformity) of it can make it much better than a standard hug in a lot of ways.

• @Mailleweaver I agree that it's more comfortable for both the shorter and taller person to do it this way. I also like the full chest and torso contact it creates.