Can Money Buy Happiness?

Comments

• [Deleted User]SweetStuff (deleted user)

@Lovelight Haha, there's no need to overindulge; I'm sweet enough. I give the sweet stuff because I am the sweet stuff. Ask @chococuddles; he knows what's up. =) =) ;) :p

But all jokes aside, humans are not monolith. Happiness is contingent upon the individual. It's easy to say happiness comes within when you haven't walked in certain shoes, meaning experienced specific situations for x amount of time. I say may the "universe" grant the opportunity to those who say happiness is attainable regardless of the circumstance.

• Thank you @Sweet Stuff !!

Just cause people seem a certain at does mean anything . I’ve dealt with depression and horrible grief and many people have said I have such a joyful spirit no matter what I go through . Not really I just got good at wearing a pretty mask because when I shared my pain people wouldn’t listen just tell me to suck it up and look at my blessing . It made people uncomfortable hearing the truth so you smile and say the right thing . Sometimes you try to fake it till you make it ! People can seem happy and joyful , full of life and still want to die every day . People really have no idea what people actually feel. Took me a long time to get help and I’m def in a happier place and I find joy in many things these days but it was because I got the help I needed .

• I don’t know if money can buy you happiness but it can rent you a lot of happiness lol

• Money makes an economy possible. It is a group of people’s perception of the stability of the issuing parties ability to stand behind it. It in itself is nothing. The work we do and the value we bring to our particular group is of value. The value allows us to provide ourselves items of sustenance for our physical well being. Any form of currency allows for us to more easily exchange our value with that of others. It also leads to greed from those who provide little value but have enough of any currency to create wealth without providing value.
    My answer is currency can buy you things but if there was not currency you as a person would have value and that value would provide sustanance to our lives and each other’s. Money cannot claim it has any value without people.
    If you find your happiness in the work you do and the value you bring- whether it’s work or love- you will enjoy a lasting happiness. A happiness tht occurs from the things you buy and own is fleeting . It is not whether or not you have accumulated things of value but your inner self that determines your happiness. That is truth whether you have accumulated things or not.

• I_am_PolyLover

Very well said, I agree with most of what you say.

Although it really depends. - I mean without money, "someone's own" or someone taking care of them, one can't really do much as to shelter, eat and attend to all their other necessities, especially in this modern world. That's my point there. Though I rest my case now. ;)

Some people are worry driven, some more or less balanced and some too laid back.

Chococuddles I agree. Balance (can) sure be an illusion, though then the key would be trying to get as close to that as possible without making it one's 24/7 - 365 mission. Plus balance is along with many other things subjective and so finding one's own is important. :)

4÷2 = 2 balance can happen and it does happen, just not always possible/realistic. ;)

• I_am_PolyLover

Very well said, I agree with most of what you say.

Although it really depends. - I mean without money, "someone's own" or someone taking care of them, one can't really do much as to shelter, eat and attend to all their other necessities, especially in this modern world. That's my point there. Though I rest my case now. ;)

Some people are worry driven, some more or less balanced and some too laid back. I am glad you've a "I will cross that bridge when I get to it." Most times I've this mentality too. :)

Chococuddles I agree. Balance (can) sure be an illusion, though then the key would be trying to get as close to that as possible without making it one's 24/7 - 365 mission. Plus balance is along with many other things subjective and so finding one's own is important. :)

• SweetStuff

Agreed 100%. :)

• edited January 2018

CuddlebugTM

Thanks for sharing this. I can sure relate a ton and totally agree too!

It doesn't help much that I've a resting smiley face most times lol. There's such a thing. ;)

Some times when we don't have the right people around us it can really seem like nobody cares. I used to be highly reserved, 'always' being the giver. Giving and getting both take courage, vulnerability and other things. Like all of us, I sure had my share on the rollercoaster going all over the place.

Thankfully at some point I actually did meet a handful of amazing people who I could more or less open up to. It took half a year to maybe 2 years for me to actually open up to them. They got to a stage where they knew me enough to see behind the smile. Overtime I trusted them and although they are no longer a part of my life, they never broke my trust. One of the ladies she was a really sweet woman!

From there on, my hope grow more, I was more able to accept receiving advice, help, guidance, care, connections... because I learned that not everyone just wants to get and be "oblivious" to me and my needs/wants. While I naturally have a reserved personality, I am no longer building a wall too high. ;) :P

I am glad you got help too! :)

• Timefortwo

I see so many truth there, thank you for sharing! :)

• So I spent money today. I bought a new pair of shoes for work, new flip flops cause it’s still 80 degrees in LA ;-p , two pair of shoes for my number one cuddle buddy, a new trash can for my house, groceries and lunch at Red Robin. Did all of that make me happy? Yes it actually but this happiness is temporary, it’s not true inner happiness.

• [Deleted User]Love_Arcitect (deleted user)

Are you familiar with Moslows hierarchy of needs?
    Also this is kind of what the government is trying to study right now in Ontario. We are trying to see if money can help people emotionally and physically. So as I was talking abut before in a previous post. There is this thing called the basic income pilot program.. Link
    https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-basic-income-pilot

How it works is they were originally going to pick two towns and what I did was wrote numerous letters to parliament and to our local MPP because they were not even going to have an information session in my community so I spoke up and got in touch with the right people organized an information session and someone from the government came and hosted the even with the family health team at town hall. We voiced our voices and opinions and they granted our community with basic income to help 2000 people get out of poverty people on such things and Disability, CPP, OW and other government funded programs as well as people working in low income brackets to bring them up to the par with the cost of living and now 2000 people have more income for the next 3 years as it is a study to understand the effects of having more tools as some of you have put it to play for things such as medical, living, food, ect.. I can tell you from personal experience it has had a good effect such as having more money to go and socialize and experience different things, pay for treatments for medical bills things that were unreachable because of costs. So I think giving people tools to do things is a great thing. I think this is a great step to the future and as I'm sure over the next 3 years with all the serveys and research that is done it will be spread over Ontario and then Canada wide. Anyways I can go on. IF you have any questions feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer them the best I can for you.

• [Deleted User]VIPirate (deleted user)

My general feeling is that it can't hurt! But sure, someone can be rich and still miserable. But I figure not having finances as a burden would at least alleviate that sort of stress from my life.

• I believe that in many cases, yes, it can make you happy. I know that me being able to give my daughter the gift of paying for her 3 horses for the past 12 years has brought her abundant joy and a passion that I envy. It has established her in a career that she loves everyday of her life. That makes me happy. I know that providing my children with college educations so they will be successful in life, makes me happy. I tithe at my church and watching all of the goodness they are able to do with that money makes me happy. I could give a thousand more examples, but I won't. Money may not be able to buy everything but it does make life more enjoyable.

My happiness!

• [Deleted User]SexyBrit (deleted user)
    edited January 2018

Whereas happiness only comes from within may be true for some people (and I'm very glad for those people), it does not apply to everyone. Sometimes people have chemical imbalances/conditions which means that happiness can only come from without (I.e. medication).

Everyone is different and there is no one way that works for everyone.

So in answer to the poll, I said other as it's a very complex issue but having resources enough to meet basic needs does generally helps state of mind in most cases.

• Money is the necessary asset to live life but that doesn't mean that they can buy true love and happiness.

• My family is happy...the people I love are happy...my church and community are happy... I am happy. I can't do that with by bubbly personality and great smile. I put my time into all of those things but sometimes money gets the job done.

• I was gonna spend $80 on an hour cuddle today but instead, I bought 5 pairs of drawers, 6 pairs of gym socks, 3 pairs of dress socks, 4 t shirts and a king size payday for the same price. I’m pretty happy.

• Well... I wouldn't personally substitute cuddles for underwear but if your happy, I'm happy.

• Being happy can handle chemical imbalances.
    <3 Jim

• I would be happy if I had more than -$14 in my bank account right now. Does that count? lol

• I can be happy with the 98 cents that is in my account now.
    <3 Jim

edited January 2018

Money is a tool that can buy you things to make you happy. Money itself will not make you happy, its the things you can get with it that do!

@saraturley

(Money is the necessary asset to live life but that doesn't mean that they can buy true love and happiness.)

I disagree - I think our society and previous generations have made it an necessary asset to live life, for barter, power and control. If we choose to change that we could. Happiness can be gained from a number of things being, material, wants and needs met could be bought for a price which could lead to happiness. True love if that is what you need to be happy that is a problem. Mainly because that is out of our control that is given to us from someone else. You can not pay anyone enough money in the world to truly love you, yes at one point im sure they would enjoy the money & you, however resentment would kick in at some point im sure because it was bought and not based on sincerity. However I could be wrong... Not sure why money has so much value, yet is not worth anything.

I wonder what our world would be like if it was build on compassion for others, than currency. (Which is sincerity)

Chemical imbalance is also a factor to happiness,

Im sure I could make someones happiness change by saying you have $ - 500 in your back or you have $500 in your bank because you have tools to get what you want and need... To be emotionally or physically happy like paying someone to cuddle you. If you aint got the money and no one is willing to cuddle... Where is your happiness? So in conclusion having positive or negative emotions around money... being it can make me happy to pay for a cuddle or depressed because I can not afford... Do that for a few years... So I would stick with my first statement on this one. ..

• edited January 2018

"..True love if that is what you need to be happy that is a problem..."

True love can be either for oneself and or for others. Family love. Friendship love. Romantic love. Etc.

Most other things I can agree with.

edited January 2018

True love can be either for oneself and or for others. Family love. Friendship love. Romantic love. Etc.

I think you are meaning Self-Love... The others still Family love friendship love and romantic love are all based on love from other people.... @Lovelight

You can give it.. However I was referencing in that statement if you're trying to get it reciprocated.. its not up to you.. its up to the other person.. So that is a selfless act.. they are doing to you.. For you..

• Yes. Self-love - just said differently.
    :)

@Lovelight Tomato - Tamato / Potato - Patato lol

• [Deleted User]SexyBrit (deleted user)

@I_am_Polylover
    I'm glad that you feel that a positive, happy attitude can overcome chemical imbalances and lack of money, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Repeatedly saying (or inferring) this only serves to make those for whom it doesn't work feel bad, it can be seen as you are saying that the only reason they are depressed is because they aren't trying hard enough.

It's kind of like saying to someone with a broken leg that they should walk it off.

• If you don't have inner peace there is nothing that can make you happy. Money is material.... Period. While it is a tool used for exchange it does not have that kind of power.

• @SexyBrit Thank you for pointing out that some people feel worse after reading my positive comments, I wasn't aware of that. I am not at all saying that they aren't trying hard enough. If they are trying at all, I think they are doing it wrong, because there should be no trying involved. What is needed is for them to make a decision on a spiritual level to be happy. I guess if someone is out of touch with their inner being, I can see how making that decision might seem difficult, and how they might feel worse after reading my positive comments. Still, I'm not sure at this point if i should try to curb my comments. Somehow, that just doesn't seem healthy for me.
    <3 Jim