Can Money Buy Happiness?

13»

Comments

• Yea clinical depression doesn’t work that way . It sounds beautiful but it’s just not reality for everyone . If that worked for you then you weren’t clinically depressed . You may have been situationally depressed or. Bummed out .

• edited January 2018

I_am_Polylover

That sounds like making a spiritual decision to be pain free when someone breaks a physical part of them, gets a sickness, etc.

Emotional hurt, Psychological Conditions, etc are not vastly different. They both take choices not a choice, commitments, and seeking/getting the right support, etc. Most of all it takes time to heal, it's not just a choice of like "I'll be happy" just like we can't make a choice to be pain free on a physical level except - well taking medications, going to the doctor etc - most times this takes time, some times it's something that needs to be done throughout one's life. The time it takes is case by case, person by person. While some things we can just accept or choose to look past more easily than others. Like dropping one's ice cream, dumping their drink most times it's easier to look past that and it doesn't carry to half our day let alone all of it. Other things are deeper, more complex and need more time, support, resources to help overcome the underlying causes as well as everything above it. It also takes our own willingness to get help. As well as helping ourselves.

Some things that help:

• Healthy, active living
    • Healthy decisions
    • Seeking help from Family/Professionals/some times Friends, etc, if one can't cope/overcome solo
    • Having some level of financial stability especially for our necessities, etc.

I just think: Happiness is (a) choice makes things look simpler than they really are. While not impossible, it's often not that easy.

• edited January 2018

Money just bought me in n out :-)

Animal Style

• Classic California right there lol. I like their lemonade. I'm originally from San Diego everyone from around there is totally in love with in n out

• edited January 2018

Lol that's nice, enjoy it! :)

• The lemonade is great but I always get an Arnold Palmer to unsweeten in a little bit

• [Deleted User]Greybeard (deleted user)

@Morpheus in n out? A franchise, or just one sandwich?

• edited January 2018

It’s a family owned franchise that’s mainly in California but I believe it’s also in Nevada and possibly Arizona. They have a very simple menu and it’s amazing.

Edit: apparently also Texas, Utah and Oregon

• Not in this part of Texas! lol. It started originally in Cali so there a more there. Definitely one or more in most cities.

• Apparently there is one in Killeen TX

• @cuddlebugTM Please do not presume to evaluate my past medical condition. You may very well be in the medical field as you have stated before, but unless you have training in the field of psychiatry or psychology, and have access to my medical records, your untrained evaluation is entirely unwarrented, and unappreciated. I didn't just say I was clinically depressed because I made it up. it was my doctors diagnosis. I would certainly appreciate an apology for what is tantamount to calling me a liar about it.

• @Lovelight For me, it was a spiritual level decision of 'I'll be happy'. My thought was that if it worked like that for me, then it should work the same way for others. I believe a lot of great positive thinkers agree with me.

Who is Lori Deschene, and what credentials does she have to back up her statements, that you expect us to take at face value? I believe all of the choices she listed stem from the spiritual level decision that needs to be made.

What I have been saying doesn't just sound like making a spiritual level decision to not feel pain when injured, it is exactly like it. It is not just similar, it is the same thing. There have been many instances of people (especially Tibetan monks) dulling or completely doing away with pain for varying lengths of time. Have you ever heard of fire walkers? They are able to walk over hot coals by making the decision on a spiritual level that they won't feel pain.

You seem to use choice and decision as meaning the same thing, and in some cases I agree that they can mean the same thing. However, for my purposes in this discussion, they are quite different. To choose means to pick one from two or more options. To decide is to settle conclusively all contention or uncertainty about something.

<3 Jim

• Yea not going to argue. As I said if it works for you great . I’ll stick to science over magical thinking .

• Magic is only something that science hasn't proven yet. A lot of what science has proven today would have been considered magic in times past.

• Maybe money can influence happiness, but not buy it outright. It can buy excitement. Maybe pleasure. But not happiness. That is just my opinion, though.

• I_Am_Polylover

I'd say if it works for you I am glad! There are perhaps others that what worked for you, works for them too! I wouldn't say everyone.

As for coal walking I think there are more tricks and science to it than some spiritual matters. Though to each their own.

I've no idea about Lori's credentials. Perhaps if so interested you can find out. I just agree with what's written and to me it speaks truth and the name came with.

• Money might not buy you happiness, but debt will give you stress. Having a small savings account will give you peace of mind when you find out you're spending more than there's coming in this month. :)

• Certainly! :)

• [Deleted User]Greybeard (deleted user)
    edited January 2018

Send me $2 and when Everybody pays up, I’ll go out and see if I can buy some happiness. Cash only please, no checks, no credit. My address is...... c’mon guy!

• [Deleted User]SexyBrit (deleted user)

Again I feel a smugness from I_am_Polylover's reply but I feel that we will never come to an agreement on the matter so I again state I am happy that his method worked for him but I am most strongly opposed to his views regarding this. I wish him well in future and am making the choice not to engauge with him on this topic any further.

Namaste

• I'm not sure what you meant by the smugness remark, but I do respect your decision to not engage with me further on this topic, and to block me.
    <3 Jim