Quote of the Day

Comments

• Snapdragons are among the cheeriest, colorful flowers when in bloom, but when they die they give gardeners the chills.

• edited February 7

Water lilies being gathered for market on the Mekong River in Vietnam.
    Water lilies are in the poetically named Nymphaea genus and, like lotuses, are aquatic flowering plants with gorgeous blooms. Their shoots, leaves, flower buds, and tubers are all edible. Note that some species are more palatable than others.
    Medicinally, water lilies are traditionally used similarly to lotuses. They are tonic and rejuvenating, which means they are effective when taken regularly as food or medicine to build strength in the body and the mind. The seeds are nourishing to the heart and reproductive fluids, while the roots aid conditions of excess or stagnation, such as diarrhea, hemorrhoids, and bleeding disorders.
    Plus, they are beautiful and peaceful to behold 🌿 Who has a water garden and grows water lilies or lotuses?
    📷 by Bali-based photographer Daniel Kordan @danielkordan 🌿!

• “And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
    Anäis Nin

Catrin Welz Stein - The Bouquet.

• “Compassion isn’t about slapping a positive affirmation on a bad feeling. It’s about making space for that feeling and allowing it to exist without judgment. It’s about offering that part of you that’s hurting some comfort and nurturing. I know, I know…it sucks to feel hard feelings… but, we can’t deny the feeling if we want to heal it.”

Quote: Summer Innanen
    Art: Catrin Welz-Stein

• @OhioMike That is interesting about this thread getting it's first banned profile. I like that you notice stuff like that and tell us.

• edited February 7

well @achetocuddle my optimistic meter sometimes doesn't work well lol.

looking at a few pages back, there is quite a few banned profiles on this thread. So I am definitely incorrect!! oh well!

This is one of my favorite threads (my fav being the mega price thread lol) and I am so glad our @MissAdventurous began this thread over 5 years ago!!

• Good quote, to be sure.

• dcontent://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/1707397366378505532636.jpg

• dcontent://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/1707397366378505532636.jpg

• Whelp 2 fails. I wanted to post a picture of Mortica Addams with the quote" Hearts are wild creatures, that's why our rubs are cages."

• *ribs are cages.

• February has arrived
    and this year, it brings an extra day.

To many, this might seem like ‘just a day’.

But to others, it’s a birth date or an anniversary that comes around only once every four years. Like the sun rising on a fairy tale land that will go to sleep for another thousand days come sunset.

To some, it is ‘just a day’.

But without that day,
    after a while
    our spring would become summer
    and our autumn would become winter
    and after 750 years, our seasons would have swapped completely.

So it is not ‘just a day’.

It is 24 hours that arrive without fanfare to keep the world on track.

It is a day that creeps in quietly to help people celebrate their life or their love.

It is a day that reminds us that not everything in life has to be loud and ever-present for it to be important. Some things can sail in on a breeze and sail out just as quickly, but it doesn’t mean they don’t have the power to change the direction of the wind or to keep the tide turning as it should.

February has arrived, bringing with it an extra day.

It is just a day.
    Just one day.

But my goodness,
    what a difference a day can make.

Becky Hemsley 2024
    Incredible artwork by June Leeloo 🤍

• I came across this beautiful quote in profile of @quixotic_life

What is important? The journey or the destination?
    Baby dragon: The company

Loved it

• One of my favorites: Do not go gentle into that good night!

• The world’s first fluorescent orchid is on display at the Japan Grand Prix International Orchid Show this week. The Glowing Phalaenopsis Orchid emits yellow-green fluorescence under black light. Not only the petals, but the entire plant body glows.

It was developed from the gene of a fluorescent plakton. Fascinating!!

• I once heard an anecdote about “crab mentality” that I can’t stop thinking about.

A man was walking by the sea one day and saw a fisherman with a bucket full of crabs. He noticed there was no cover on the bucket.

“Aren’t you worried that the crabs will escape?”, he asked the fisherman.

“No,” replied the fisherman. “Sometimes a crab will try to escape, but as soon as the other crabs see one trying to climb out, they pull it back down."

When I heard this story, it felt like a punch in the gut. 😩

Humans are not so different from crabs. We see this “crab mentality” at play all the time.

When someone is trying to do something new or they experience some measure of success, instead of cheering them on, often the people around them will try to “pull them back down” by shaming them and challenging their confidence.

Sometimes, we unconsciously pull others back down because we’re envious. Or jealous. Or resentful. Or feeling judged for our own choices. Or sad that we never were able to accomplish what they are doing.

I think we’ve all experienced this in our lives.

You share an idea, a hope, a dream with your family members and friends…
    ...only to have them quickly point out all the things that could go wrong.
    All the reasons it could never work.
    All the ways your plan is flawed.

So you stop. You let the dream die.

Or maybe you want to create a new legacy, a new story, a new way of living for your family…
    ...only to be met with shame, judgment and accusations like “Who do you think you are?” and “You think you’re better than us?”

So you lose your courage. You go back to the way everyone expects you to live.

But here’s what I want you to hear… there is no lid on the bucket. 😳
    There is no actual physical barrier holding you back.
    There’s no barrier except the one in your brain.

You can allow everyone else to have their thoughts and opinions about you.
    You can feel fear, judgement and shame.
    You can love, honor and respect your family and friends.
    AND you can do the new thing.

Climb out of that bucket, friend.
    There’s a big wide expansive world of freedom waiting for you out there.

• "To speak gratitude is courteous and pleasant, but to live gratitude is to touch heaven."
    ~ Johannes A. Gaertner

Art by Jilly Henderson

• “Each person's grief journey is unique as a fingerprint or a snowflake.”

— Earl A. Grollman

[ Art • “The Hedge Witch” by Heather McLean ]

• ~ John Francis

• 🌻🌼🪻🌷🌹🌺🏵️🥀