Quote of the Day

Comments

• "If I had some fish, that would be really good ; because if I then got some chips, I'd have fish & chips. "
    A former boss of mine.

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

For those of us in the cuddle community who're visually impaired and have to use text-to-speech to browse the internet, here's a transcript of some of these otherwise inaccessible posts!

here's how I live it, I'm going to help who I can, where I can, when I can, how I can, if I can, for as long as I can. it's just who I am.

The trees are about to show us how lovely it is to let things go.

When all you know is fight or flight, red flags and butterflies all feel the same
    - Cindy Cherie

"I still cannot articulate everything I do deserve, but I can say with confidence that I do not deserve to be unhappy. For now, let me just say I know I mean something to myself."
    —Julie Wesenberg (via wordsnquotes)

[image description: A tiny white ghost sitting on an orange pumpkin against a plain blue background. Words are in a green speech bubble.]
    It's not too early to be excited about Halloween. It's never too early to be excited about things that make you happy.

[image description: A white and grey cat sitting on a fluffy white surface, perhaps a counter. The cat is wearing round sunglasses and a gold chain, and looking slightly up and off-camera to the left of the viewer with what seems to be a vaguely disapproving expression. Text is plain print across the bottom of the image.]
    [text:] that wasn't very cash money of you

Song for Autumn

In the deep fall
    don't you imagine the leaves think how
    comfortable it will be to touch
    the earth instead of the
    nothingness of air and the endless
    freshets of wind? And don't you think
    the trees themselves, especially those with mossy,
    warm caves, begin to think

of the birds that will come—six, a dozen—to sleep
    inside their bodies? And don't you hear
    the goldenrod whispering goodbye,
    the everlasting being crowned with the first
    tuffets of snow? The pond
    vanishes, and the white field over which
    the fox runs so quickly brings out
    its blue shadows. And the wind pumps its
    bellows. And at evening especially,
    the piled firewood shifts a little,
    longing to be on its way.

—Mary Oliver

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it." ~Eckhart Tolle

...And that's it, that's my spoons. Hmm. I need food.

• @DarrenWalker
    Very public-spirited of you. 👍

edited September 2020

@geoff1000: Public-spirited? How dare you. I am entirely selfish, thank you very much. /mock offense

Anyway, everybody—feel free to help me out! Transcripts are great for people who can't see images, and there tends to be a lot of text hidden in images in this thread.

A note on selfishness:

My glasses have been getting thicker and thicker throughout my life, and there's a very real chance that at some point I'll have to depend on text-to-speech programs to browse the web. I'd like the CC forum to be just as accessible to me then as it is now; so I'm trying to normalize things like transcription.

Entirely selfish—but it makes sense, right? And if transcription incidentally happens to help a lot more people than just me... well, that should make doing it a lot easier to normalize, shouldn't it?

Selfishness doesn't always harm others. In fact, it helps them more often than one might think....

• @DarrenWalker
    I admitted to a friend that I was very selfish ; I was only kind to them, for the joy it brought me to see them happy.

• @DarrenWalker
    I never considered that before, nice touch my forum friend. 💓

@geoff1000: Precisely so.
    @MissAdventurous: 💓

Another transcription!

A four-panel cartoon.

First panel: Two sort of canine-looking creatures, one blue-gray and one a light reddish color, face one another. The reddish canid has a dark cloud over its head and its eyes squeezed shut. It looks angry or unhappy. Two speech bubbles come from the blue-gray canid, saying, "Is that..." and "...bad thoughts?!"

Second panel: A close-up of the blue-gray canid biting the dark cloud. Sound effects: CHOMP

Third panel: The blue-gray creature appears to have five heads, each gripping a piece of the apparently stretched-out cloud in its mouth. The sound effects at the bottom of the panel ("whippa whippa") indicate that it is whipping its head rapidly back and forth. Sound effects at the top of the panel: "GROWLGROWLGROWL"

Fourth panel: The canine-looking creatures facing one another again. The dark cloud is on the ground between them, looking beat up, with little wavy lines rising from it. The reddish canid appears happy, and two little sparkles float on either side of its head. The grey-blue canid, still baring its teeth, looks down at it in what appears to be a kind of angry satisfaction. A speech bubble points to the blue-gray canid, saying, "Not on my watch."

Information below comic: @awoocomic (c) AC Stuart patreon.com/awoocomic

• Whenever someone criticises me for a bad decision, I ask them :
    1. What should I have done instead ?
    2. Where is the evidence that action would have given a better result ?
    3. How, at the time, was I expected to know that ?

• You must have a place to which you can go, in your heart, your mind, or your house, where you do not owe anyone, and where no one owes you - a place that simply allows for the blossoming of something new and promising.

~ Joseph Campbell

• “There is something really mysterious about lions. They could rip you apart if they wanted to, but at the same time they look so cuddly. Can you imagine what humans look like to animals? They must think we’re so weird.” – Lee Ryan

• Caution : Investments may go down, as well as plummet.

(me)

• This isn't to start a debate, but I remember watching The Campaign with Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis. And seeing this quote

War has rules, mud wrestling has rules. In politics there are no rules - Ross Perot

• @tommydreamer
    Also no rules in a knife fight - "Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid"