What are you reading? (The CC Book Club)

Comments

• Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson. It is the factual account of the deadliest hurricane to ever hit the US. Galveston, 1900.

• [Deleted User]checkingthings (deleted user)

I finished reading this Discussion. Does that count?

• @UKGuy

I can’t say that I have! I haven’t read anything by that author, to be honest. I’ll definitely check out “The House on the Borderland”. I thank you for mentioning it.

• edited August 2019

@pmvines have you tried books with big fonts and relaxed pages? I don’t know the vocabulary to describe books that much. Though, hopefully you get what I mean.

I find books with big font, and that I don’t have to make much effort to keep it’s pages open tend to keep my attention better.

I am also not much of a reading fan apart from online articles. Though, once in a while I try to read and find a book or two I can’t put down. So, since I also have a tendency to jump from one thing to the other. I sometimes find myself rotating between like 2 - 3 books. When I had to do readings especially on books that weren’t of much interest to me, I found that PDF books were the best. Since I can adjust the font, and much easily find whatever I need to.

• edited August 2019

@checkingthings well done!

One of the other ways I am trying to encourage myself to read now is helping language exchange partners to improve to their English. Edit: I didn’t plan for this to benefit my reading initially. It just happened that I said like “hey, you could read to me 20-30 pages if you like. Would you like to choose a book, or for me to choose for you?” Then it turns out there’s a benefit in it for me, as well. end of edit.

I made plans with one my language exchange partners that he would read to me 20-30 pages each time we meet. Then, I’ve since thought that he could read 15-20 pages, and I’ll do likewise. He also isn’t much of a reader. Though, since he needs to improve his English, we can help each other. I think having a reading partner is also good for any of you that might not be enthusiastic about it. Even your teenage kids might do the trick, if you are into what they read.

• I was reading Richard Feynman's collected letters and a biography of him called Genius. Now I'm reading Robert Sapolsky's book Behave. It looks at the biology of human behavior. Usually I like to read science fiction & fantasy before bed but I've gone off the path a bit lately. During the day, I'm usually reading research online but I always keep a magazine (Monthly Atlantic) or a novel in the car (last one was Slaughterhouse Five.)

• @TheProdigy122 , how are you liking Asimov? I was a big fan when I was in high school and then in my early 20s. Got away from him but he was one of my early favorite SF authors. I loved the Foundation trilogy and often think of rereading it. It's on my list. Let me know how what you think of it.

• Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. It's about a high school girl that gets attacked at a party and stops speaking. I think it was a movie with Kirsten Stewart.

• edited August 2019

Rat Girl by Kristin Hersh of the band Throwing Muses and The Bluest Eyes by Toni Morrison. Usually I read a lot of scifi horror fantasy but mixing it up

• Just finished of Storm of Locusts by Rebecca Roanhorse, the second book in the 6th world series after Trail of Lightning. Really great Dystopian/ Urban Fantasy/ Speculative fiction book with cool Diné mythology. Link to the first book https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36373298-trail-of-lightning

I mostly read sci-fi and fantasy

• Second book of the sleeping beauty series by Anne Rice 😁

• Phantom by Terry Goodkind from the Sword of Truth series. Talks a lot about religion and bigotry but through a far removed fantasy world.

• @MissAdventurous that was one of my first smut series! How are you liking it?

@cuddletron2000 Oh hey! It's been a while since I've read that series! I think I got lost somewhere around the book about the three chimes though

• @Annichka you made it further than I did. Phantom is the only one I’ve actually read; I used to watch the tv show so I wasn’t completely lost. He wrote them well enough to stand alone though so it’s a nice chill read.

• Plowing through the English translation of “Capitalism and Schizophrenia”—two volumes of groundbreaking philosophy called Rhizomatic Philosophy out of France. Sounds boring but I find it quite interesting as it disabuses you of the notions of cause and effect and chronological time.

• @Annichka first time going through the series and my my... It is salacious

• @cuddletron2000 oh! I think I stopped on the 5th book, but since you were reading the 10th I thought it was the opposite. Good to know they are worth checking out again!

@MissAdventurous INDEED!

• edited August 2019

I just ordered and received "The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady" by Edith Holden. It's from 1906 and is a journal describing her observations of the natural world, in her locality (Warwickshire, England), for an entire year. It's accompanied by poems and the author's illustrations. As well as a very knowlegeable naturalist, she was an accomplished artist. The illustrations of flowers, animals, birds and butterflies are marvellous.

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

衛宮さんちの今日のごはん. It's a very relaxing manga that reads almost like a cookbook: each chapter features the characters from Fate/stay night making a different recipe, with the recipe itself given at the end of the chapter. It's taking me a while to get through it, but I'm learning a lot of Japanese words for food.

...I'm also seriously considering making some of this stuff. I don't have a lot of the ingredients, but the recipes are simple and I'm pretty sure I could pull off at least something similar.

• [Deleted User]nerdish (deleted user)

I'm currently reading "The Golden Rules og Blogging" by Robin Houghton.

• Now on to a light read...

The Princessa: Machiavelli for Women

• [Deleted User]cyrusbelmont (deleted user)

I'm re-reading While Out of My Body, I Saw God, Hell and the Living Dead by Roger Mills. It's the juiciest book on NDE related studies I've ever read. Even Atheists I've met were intrigued, reading it.

The author claims to have been shown the biblical Bottomless Pit, the angel penitentiary known as Tartarus and a special cell block where disobedient faith leaders go. There's a lot more worth mentioning but I just recommend checking it out for yourselves.

• Just finished Artemis by Andy Weir and started Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor

• [Deleted User]RTL1970 (deleted user)

Black Is The New White by Mr. Paul Mooney

• @RTL1970 Ah Mooney, the man behind Richard Pryor’s jokes...and the seer of all things racial-Negrodamus.

• I'm currently reading Girl, Interupted, and Oliver Twist. I don't have a strong path after those, but I feel like I will travel along the horror vein for a while.

• I just read The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie in anticipation for the new BBC mini series special. Along with Death on the Nile and Death in the Clouds both pretty great murder mystery reads, with The Pale Horse being one of Christie’s best works in my opinion.

Now I’m reading The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August a science fiction novel which I’d recommend as well for those into time travel works.

• @DarrenWalker I think Japanese culture is probably the most fasinating to me in all of human history. Domo Arigato for your post.

@pmvines I am with you, i read very little, only for education not "fun," as I was told in school early on that my understanding of what I read was often wrong so my young mind concluded "whats the point of reading." And yes Without dolor store readers it is really hard to do now. The indignity of aging.

• I'm currently reading Red Star Tales: A Century of Russian and Soviet Science Fiction. It's interesting to see a different take on sci-fi—one that's often far more sardonic than what was typically found in the west.