Can you get disease out of doing this?

edited November 2019 in General

Like CTD or Cuddling Transmitted Disease? What are the possibilities?

Comments

• Goodnight, sleep tight.
    Don't let the bed bugs bite.

• Perhaps poison oak or scabies

• Or if you are a man cuddling a man you might catch a case of the gays (sarcasm here )

• I think I got some mange from @pmvines

• Mange from virtual cuddles? Wow I must be super contagious!

• edited November 2019

You must be, because something in one of your private messages got past 3 cascading routers, 2 firewalls, an antivirus, and made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

• Is it the fuzzy or is it just mange...

• edited November 2019

Is it the fuzzy or is it just mange...

It's Snuggling Transmitted Mange or.... Strange?
    That's got to be it, I got me some strange.

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

@alphares: Any time you hang out with anybody you risk catching something. Especially when it's cold and flu season.

Since with cuddling you're hanging out in closer physical proximity than usual, if one person's carrying something the other person's odds of getting it are way higher than if the two of you just shook hands or passed one another in a grocery store or something.

Other than that, you're probably not gonna get any kind of "CTD." Unless feelings count, and those can get you even over the internet....

• Cold sores maybe

edited November 2019

@eddie2sweaty: Eh, don't share a cup or fork with your buddy and you should be fine.

Edit: I mean, we all know kissing is against site rules, right? Right. 'Course we do.

• What if there is only one clean fork left?

• [Deleted User]Sunflowerfield (deleted user)

Well I caught a virus from one of my cuddle buddies last week... it's often not entirely avoidable though, as people don't always realise they are sick in the very early stages of a virus.

• edited November 2019

It might be worth updating the pro cuddler contract to say something like “ should either party display signs of communicable illness , etc , the other has right of refusal. “

As far as cuddling goes it’s not that healthy . Oh yeah it’s healthy for your spirit, but , you sit in front of your computer and find a partner , you meet and lay on a couch or bed , oh yeah then let have some cookies , and milk , whole milk not skim , there are more than a few comments in the forum that “ they are 40pounds heavier than their photo shows which is two year old “

Try to take a brisk walk after cuddling

• eddie2sweety If there is only one clean fork left, you can use your hand to eat the food lol :) =)

• [Deleted User]snugglebear98 (deleted user)
    edited November 2019

(MOD) Comment removed - personal attack. Member subject to temporary/indefinite forum ban. [SoulcuddlerZ]

• edited November 2019

What if there is only one clean fork left?
    If there is only one clean fork left, you can use your hand to eat the food lol

The obvious solution here is to cuddle following a hot wing eating contest. Make sure the sauce is at least 1,000,000 on the Scoville scale though. Not only is a fork unnecessary, but the extreme heat emanating from one's body could potentially create a rather anaerobic, radioactive environment. That might be enough to protect you from communicable illness, parasites, and the company of other people for at least a few decades.

• edited November 2019

@Catloaf oh, like the effect of the Garlic Cheesy Loaf on the Potato loaf

• If you are talking about a sexually transmitted disease (STD) I don't think so. If someone has a bad cold/virus, perhaps yes!!!

• For anyone wondering what @snuggleme123 is referencing:

My logic is that Potato Loaf must be lactose intolerant, a vampire, or both. Because he isn't going to make that face sitting next to sweet ol' Nyan Cat (unless he's jealous about his failure to become a successful meme, as Nyan did). At least I wouldn't, I'd be thrilled to be in close proximity to both cats and pop tarts. Or maybe Cheesy Garlic's butt reeks, I could see that being a possibility. Maybe he can smell Moldy Loaf from across the Cat Loaf chart. I dunno, Cheesy Garlic appears to be at least part Bengal, and Nyan is clearly the famous cat here. Could just be simple envy of pedigree. B)

• @DarrenWalker and @eddie2sweaty

Woof, with the amount of times cuddlers will sneak attack kiss pros, that’s a real risk. It’s annoying, invasive, disrespectful, and all around fucked up getting kissed without consent.

• [Deleted User]Willywagtail (deleted user)
    edited November 2019

Very interesting topic. There is still a risk to get herpes with platonic cuddling. But most herpes strains are harmless i.e. asymtomatic. It is common to have two or more strains without notice. It is rare to die from herpes. The best I can do is to avoid the “cold sore” period when transmission is most likely to occur. And no kiss! Some anti-viral drug may help lower the activity of the virus.

If someone has a diarrhea, it is best to pulse cuddle session for a few days even after being cured i.e. no symptoms but virus/bacteria shedding still exist and may lead to oral fecal transmission.

I always take a shower before and after a cuddle session, trying my best to protect my cuddle buddy and myself. I will check whether I have any skin lesion before a cuddle session as well and try to avoid touching others with that part of my skin i.e. bandage. I might be a bit too cautious, haha. However, I do trust our immune system can fight against/live happily with most virus and bacteria. :)

• edited November 2019

How can you get herpes from cuddling if no kissing is involved? If kissing were allowed I'd be cuddling several times a week.

PSA: Please do not kiss, lick, or otherwise slobber on your buddy. Even if they specifically say they're fine with it, this is how nasty viruses get spread. Also, if any cuddlers on this site offer things that violate TOS, please report them. Thank you.

• edited November 2019

@snugbuddy skin to skin

Suggest a Google session

About 11-12% of adults have HSV2. Nearly double in a specific race per CDC. 50% do not show symptoms.

Up to 90% carry HSV1 (cold sore type).

The types can cross over and incubation periods can be from 6 weeks to much longer

• [Deleted User]2dogmom (deleted user)

You could absolutely get a virus (stomach, cold, flu) from a cuddle buddy. Best to get your flu shot (if you can) and practice good hygiene (i.e. cover your mouth when coughing/sneezing, use tissues, etc.) to minimize risk but, as noted by @Sunflowerfield, many people can be contagious before symptomatic so there is always a risk.

• [Deleted User]rheaah (deleted user)

@alphares I guess one can get sick by not getting enough hugs, though the benefits for cuddles done in the right way, outweighs hypochondria or doing it wrong.

• If there's only one fork left, then you can eat that spaghitti with a spoon. I did it, and so can you.

• Yes. Anything that you can get contract through mucous membranes, skin to skin contact, viruses or bacteria that can stay alive on clothing or be that is airborne, as well as parasites that possibly existing in the living space like lice scabies crabs and bed bugs - it is all possible to get.