Holiday Haters Welcome!!! (no shade please...)

Comments

• I'll take pictures tonight when the lights come on.... But it's looking real spooky over here 😜

• @MissAdventurous OMGOSH!!!! So fun!!! I was just in MA and I went to Salem. It was such an interesting FEELING in the entire area. It wasn't as spooky as it was sad (thinking of history) but I was told it is AMAZING for the entire month of October!!
    @alaskaman12 oh my!!!! It does definitely capture the feel of the crazies out there for Black Friday. 🤣😂😁 I love to support the small companies on "Small Business Saturday" but man.... those Black Friday experiences.... SHEESH!!! people be CRAY!!!

• [Deleted User]APV (deleted user)

Halloween never really meant much to me, especially in my adulthood. Thanksgiving means more to me now. I have made a tradition of eating turkey chili on Thanksgiving as I grew up in a city nicknamed “Chilitown USA” and now live in Southern California.

As for Christmas, I just decorate my dining room with a ceramic Christmas tree and a few other accents I was given as Christmas gifts in the 2010s decade. This year I will be All Alone on Christmas because I have chosen to fly to my parents’ area the day after Christmas. My mom’s only living relatives place the chairs in their living room way too far apart. Plus one of my mom’s cousins has quite an exaggerated accent considering where’s she’s from. I just don’t get it why the generations of my family older than my parents arrange their living rooms with the chairs so far apart (>10 feet/3.2 meters). Then they wonder why they can’t hear someone talking from the other chair cuz it’s too far away.

Last month I had a nightmare in which I offended my parents and all of my mom’s extended family who we visit on Christmas Day by revealing my perspective of my mom’s extended family: that they are just a bunch of strange Southerners. At least I woke up and I’m in my own home by myself with my mother and her relatives I don’t click with 2,200 miles away.

I’ll end this post on a positive note: I love getting to see the New Year’s ball drop early. Since I’ve lived on the West Coast for 10 years and counting, I get to see the ball drop at 21:00 my time. I usually tune in online at TimesSquareBall.net around 20:55 and watch until the crowd counts down in unison, ending with, “5! 4! 3! 2! 1! Happy New Year!” and a view of the ball at its lowest position and the new year displayed on a light board. That’s why I’m flying home on New Year’s Eve so that I am already at home long before 20:00 U.S. Pacific Time.

• @APV
    "All Alone at Christmas"
    I have an image of you fighting off burglars with home-made booby-traps. 😊

• I hold a lot of patience for the holidays seeing how I don't personally have any attachments to them. I just don't always like being asked what I am doing or what I did for the holidays because the answer is often "just sleep in..." and people sound like they're disappointed in hearing that LOL

• [Deleted User]APV (deleted user)

@geoff1000 I did the capitalization to insert the title of Darlene Love’s song that is edited down for the movie. I have saved an MP3 of just the second verse which only appears in the longer version on the Christmas compilation “Christmas A Go-Go”. Of course I had to just download the whole track and then use Audacity to produce my personal edit.

To avoid being alone on Thanksgiving I used to attend the Thanksgiving celebration at Orange Coast Unitarian Universalist Church (OCUUC) in Costa Mesa, CA. I haven’t been there in almost 4 years now because after about 2 years of attending regular worship there I didn’t feel any more of a sense of belonging than I would in a more traditional Christian church. A fellow nontheist who is also decades younger than elderly supermajority of nontheists in our area introduced me to the church, but I just didn’t fit as well as I had hoped I would.

• edited November 2020

@CuddleStella that sounds like a LOVELY way to spend the holidays!!!! I would be shouting this from the rooftops...... Not disappointing at ALL. They're probably just jealous because they're waking up at 4am to put in the darn turkey!!! hahhaha

@APV Maybe your family was just getting ready for the idea of social distancing??? Do you think if we both call NY we could get a petition started to drop the ball early this year!!! Like next week maybe??

I am so excited to breeze through the holidays and get 2020 behind us. I think I'll get up the decorations right away. Maybe today!!! Then everyone will think Daylight Savings time got rid of the MONTH OF NOVEMBER!!!! Goodness.... I'm ready for a new year. Holidays cancelled in lots of places.... Twill be interesting to see how everyone responds. With dancing in the streets for MANY!!! (socially distanced dancing of course!!)

• @sillysassy If you want Halloween tales, well, the biggest thing is this past Friday I scared a guy so bad he ran into one of the walls and knocked it over. Mind you, the wall is wood, old, completely exposed to the elements, so it's not surprising a good hit like that knocked it over. But I immediately dropped character to ensure the safety of the guests and get word to someone who could call someone to come out and fix it. I made sure people didn't go towards the wall, which was propped up by a little table or desk.

• Omgosh @BrianL That is simultaneously hysterical and terrible!!!! hahahhahaha Good on you for getting out of character to help, you must be REALLY good at this!!!! An exposed Fright Night!!! I bet you are a little weary now that its November 1st. Marching into the next few months!!

Thanks for being here in this beautiful community!!!

• I wouldn't say I hate the holidays, I just try to ignore them. I completely forgot about Halloween and was actually taking a nap. Then the trick or treaters woke me up, so that was annoying.

• Certain posts in this thread have inspired next Halloween’s costume. I will dress as a curmudgeon. That way I can complain about everything to everyone and everyone will think I am in character. “Candy corn? We live in a country where we can get anything and you give me candy corn? Why bother with Halloween if the best you can do is candy corn?”

• Lol! @FunCartel ~ It's stuff like this that makes me wish we could hang out sometime!!

I'd probably go are a crumb-udgeon though. Same costume but with dropped food flecks to add to my 'grump' vibe. Although now I'm wondering what I could wear to go as "grumpy pants"...

• Just get a stick and point it at the sky while yelling at the clouds

• hahahahhahaa @FunCartel I LOVE IT!!!! a CURMUDGEON!!! I think we could call EVERYDAY Halloween and find a "curmudgeon costume"...... Especially THIS YEAR!!!!! @pmvines has it..... a STICK and a frown. hahahahhaa and yes to @quixotic_life grumpy pants hahahahhaha OMGOSH!! YES!!!

@UKGuy that is FUNNY right there!!! Those silly trick or treaters!!! I actually fled my home and went to the mountains for the weekend just in case they tried to show up asking for free candy. Any other time of the year I try to give kids free candy, people think I'm crazy and should go to jail!! hahahhahaa

• HOLY MOLEY!! @OhioMike said that he had his FIRST Halloween decoration siting!!! It's coming on fall. I love the smell of newly sharpened pencils and all of the school supplies lining the shelves. 🎃🍁🍂

How is everyone feeling about the upcoming holidays?? Hate it?? Can't wait to scare those little goblins off of your porch with a costume of your own?? 👻

• [Deleted User]CharlesThePoet (deleted user)

Never ask an atheist what they think about Holy Days...

• At cvs last week!!

• It was right next to the wine section. I was looking for Halloween 🎃 candy! No I wasn’t 😂

• I usually don't really anything the holidays. I try to not hate anything or anyone causes that's a waste of my already limited resources. If it wants to have a space in my life, it better at least pay a hefty price for renting a space in it, which it never has, eh? So, shoo off you go hate!

Though when I am pressured to be part of holidays I don't want to, I feel violated and stressed out by the people doing that to me.

• @OhioMike hahahhahahaha OMGOSH!!!! Next to the Wine! That is SOOOOOOO Smart of those marketers. :)

@Lovelight I completely agree..... With space for RENT!!! We have a limited supply of energy. 😁😂🤣 good way to put it! It has been so lovely to learn how to deal with pressure around that kind of thing. The beautiful thing is that I learned it because of CUDDLING!!! A workshop that gave me permission to ask what I want as opposed what do THEY want. Violated and Stressed..... Truth. Such a challenging issue to navigate. :/

• Omgosh. @Maverick07 that is FUNNY!!!!

• @sillysassy :3
    My house is the most "popular" during Halloween

• While I'm not a holiday hater, I've noticed that there are times when some people unthinkingly impose their idea of enjoyment of a holiday upon others. An example of this has to do with some of the music that stores choose to play at Christmas time. I know that it's supposed to be happy, and for many people it is, so I don't fault them for it. For me and probably many others, however, it tends to be a series of reminders of things that I have lost throughout my life, and those reminders can bring me to tears. As a result, I avoid stores at Christmas if I possibly can.

I am grateful that I have a space where I can celebrate with my children in the way that brings us joy, because the holiday still does have meaning to me.

• Piggybacking onto what @JoyfulHeart said. I am into holidays for the free time off, but not necessarily for the holiday itself. But I do not resent people celebrating, the food, the music or even the religious aspects as that what makes them happy. I know some things can upset people—many people are triggered during the holidays as @JoyfulHeart pointed out—but let’s be serious, if you took the holidays away, the same losses, loneliness and depressions remain. If you resent the holidays or feel anger towards the holidays then you are imposing your own beliefs on others. Tolerance, tolerance, tolerance. Holidays are just temporary.

Why don’t we have a Tolerance Day on the yearly calendar? A day where all hostility ends—personally, politically and globally.

• I agree with the comment about resentment. It's a poison that eats people from the inside.

Tolerance Day is something I could get behind. Instead of annual, I propose that it be held on any day that ends in "y".

With regard to losses, yes, we do deal with them daily. Since loss is a personal thing, I prefer to do my grieving in private when I have time to process it. No hate towards those who like "Blue Christmas" or "I'll be Home for Christmas": I just prefer to exercise my option not to rub salt into my emotional wounds in public.

Exercising this option is my way of showing tolerance for those who do find joy in those songs. I fully support their joy, but find my own in other ways.

• Tolerance Day is something I could get behind. Instead of annual, I propose that it be held on any day that ends in "y".

Baby steps. Too many people won’t tolerate drastic change 😂

• Omgosh. You guys are so smart!!!!! Tolerance day!!! A great compromise would be days that have a T. T for Tolerance!!!!!

I do agree that holidays have very specific memories attached to them. Whether religious or not but the thing I always want is connectivity. I HATE and I’m pretty sure I can say HATE when things get so complicated that people lose sight of that part. Please don’t buy me a present because you feel obligated. Please don’t fight over a specific day to connect when we could’ve connected all year long.

I love the reminder that some are less fortunate or lonely etc and the holidays sometime bring a more giving attitude from people…. I just wish it was an every day thought. 🤔

• @sillysassy "Please don’t buy me a present because you feel obligated."

This sooooo resonates with me!!

I'm okay holding onto things for people until a special occasion if the item somehow goes with that. But it takes a lot of self control otherwise because of how much I love the random giving and surprise receiving of perfect gifts ~ Especially those that come with an excited story of stumbling upon it and instantly knowing who it's a must get-to-give-to for!!
    🎁🥰

{Lol ~ I just realized I hardly ever wrap them. I usually have whatever it is in a bag, tell them the story of finding it, then hand it to them enthusiastically.}