Artwork Around the World 🌿

Comments

• @littermate
    Everyone was tidier in those days. No cigarette butts or disposable coffee cups left in the street, no old newspapers or beer cans in the garden. No burnt-out cars or broken refrigerators on people's driveways.

• Scottish Art:

• Scottish Art:

• Cornish Art:

• Cornish Art:

• @geoff1000

Yeah, they only threw their crap outside into the streets and died of infections with great frequency.

• Among Repin's masterpieces is a dynamic portrait of Anton Rubinstein (1829–1894), a leading Russian pianist and composer who founded the St Petersburg Conservatory and often performed in Western Europe and the United States.

"An interesting head, like a lion," Repin wrote about him to V. V. Stasov, a well-known art and music critic, with whom the artist listened to concerts under the baton of Rubinstein many times

• Australian Art:

• Australian Art:

• @MissAdventurous I did not realize that Benicio Del Toro was an orchestra conductor! Thank you for bringing this to light!

• @pmvines It’s Antonio Banderas when he is out in public.

• The title of today's painting, The Young Amphibians, elicits as much of a smile as does this delightful scene of children playing at the seashore. Spanish artist Joaquín Sorolla y Bastida painted numerous beach scenes in Valencia, the coastal Mediterranean city where he was born.

His paintings show elements of Impressionism in the rendering of light on the water and the loose brushstrokes that capture endearing yet fleeting moments. He masterfully depicted sunlight reflecting off the children’s wet skin and gentle waves rolling onto shore.

Besides paintings of beach scenes, Sorolla created a series of fourteen monumental murals entitled The Provinces of Spain, each highlighting the landscape and culture of a region of the Iberian Peninsula. Sorolla was also an accomplished portraitist; among his famous sitters was William Howard Taft, the 27th President of the United States, in 1909.

• The Sun Man is one of the panels at Cosmovitral, a stained glass mural and botanical garden in Toluca, Mexico. The building was constructed in 1910. The first female Mayor of Toluca, Yoland Senties, transformed the building into an art space in 1975. Cosmovitral was designed by the local artisan Leopoldo Flores.

The Sun Man remains one of my most favorite stained glass panels.

• Native American Art 1:

• Native American Art 2:

• Native American Art 3:

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

@UKGuy: I had no idea David Gonzales was Native American. All this time I thought he was Chicano. We live and we learn! (What a good thing he signs all his work the same way, otherwise we might never know.)

• By Zdzisław Beksiński.

• edited February 2020

@DarrenWalker - I did not say anything about the artist, only the art. Whether a Chicano is a native American or part native American is debatable but you don't have to be native American to make Native American art.

• Cuban Art 1:

• Cuban Art 2:

• Cuban Art 3:

• Art by Linda Lithén.

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

@UKGuy: Oh. And here was me thinking European art, for instance, was art by Europeans. Huh. So if an African American paints a picture of me, is it American art or German art?

I like Dutch artist M.C. Escher's Hand with Reflecting Sphere.

Actually, I like reflecting spheres in general. The perspective's just so cool: stare at one of these things in real life long enough and you end up feeling like you're inside it looking out.

• edited March 2020

Swedish Art 1:

• Swedish Art 2:

• edited March 2020

Swedish Art 3:

• @DarrenWalker - I have not posted any art entitled 'European Art', nor would I ever. But feel free to examine all the art I have posted, attempt to determine the artist and examine whether they were legitimately born in the country you think they should have been born in.