Some Needed Humor

Comments

• Speaking of Californians, to stay on topic, it would be criminal not to post the link to a SNL sketch on this topic:

• I think self-driving cars are great ; if the person who authorised the software, has to suffer whatever injury is caused to the occupants of the vehicle when it makes a mistake.

There are enough horror stories of Satnav systems trying to lead people off cliffs, and enough reports of "self-driving" cars making mistakes, that I don't think we are yet safe to discard the steering wheel. Most such systems have a fail-safe of telling the human driver that they will have to take over ; which assumes they are immediately ready and competent to do so, rather defeating the idea. Anyone who has taught a learner driver, will know it is more stressful than actually driving.

• @Siberian76 , @geoff1000 , I agree there is issues with them, myself, I think its a joke. the Testa it appears is the leader.
    But go to U-Tube and see many catch fire when in a wreck and sometimes just sitting with no one in them. If you run the battery dead, you can't even push the thing out of the road. Just wait for the road use tax to be put on them, it's coming.
    We all pay that tax on gas & diesel, the politicians are already talking about a tax based on miles driven.
    It was so funny here in Tampa a local news guy goes to a car dealership that sells cars with that auto-stop system, so to show how great it is, he stands in front of the car about 50-60FT., the driver hits the gas, the CAR did not see the news guy, he ends up on the hood up against the windshield, LOL, and they showed it on the evening news !!!!!

• I'm sure that if cars were generally electric, gasoline ones would be banned on safety grounds ; but we've had over 100 years to iron out the issues, while electric ones are too new.

I'm worried that the default "safety" response is to stop them, risky on a freeway or in the middle of nowhere.

• edited May 2020

I doubt even in 50 years I will be able to make the same road trips in an electrical car that I did with my Jeep. Drive thousands of miles across Canadian wilderness to Newfoundland with couple gas ganisters.
    Or driving through Montana, but not main highways - yeah I wanna see electric chargers in those villages of 75 people where they still use the gas pumps from 1960 - suuuuuure :)

I've slept through countless winter storms in my car. Even if it takes 16 hours for the storm to clear, your driving range has not changed, as long as you don't turn engine on.

I was in situations where I had to make a conscious choice to NOT turn engine on at -25 C storm and just sleep through it, to be "safe". I'd be screwed in an electric car if I encountered such mother nature scenario where 3 large storm systems were competing for domination throughout the week and they obviously chose my driving route as their playground.

In electric car, just waiting with engine off for 18 hours is a disaster when you are hundreds of miles from civilization and it's cold. And I don't mean California Cold here. I mean SIberianHusky cold - yes, I've been in storms that when I took my Husky out of car, she had enough after 2 minutes!

Turns out, -47 'C Windchill is brutal even for a Husky, let alone Tesla :)

• I would suggest researching the electric Polestars Volvo is coming out with in Europe with plans in a couple of years to come to the states. There are several on drawing boards that have ranges in the 300+ mile like BMW and Porsche. Eventually that technology will be here and over time will be considerably cheaper. And Volvo test drives all their cars in Sweden where they are made. I think that could be considered winter conditions.

In the long term, whatever you think about electric cars, they are coming quickly and no one really cares what goes on in North Dakota in board rooms. The population up there will never sway the course of things in the big picture. The greatest entertainment throughout this quarantine is the tragic #sarcasm demise of oil prices.

In the words of the younger generations and those that truly care about the environment, ok boomers.

• ...in Sweden. That could be considered winter conditions.

@FunCartel : Yeah, but only by someone like you from Arizona :)

I once worked for a company in Finland right below the Polar Circle, in the dead of winter.

It never even dropped below -25 'C.

Of all the European Nations I interacted with, Finns were the most honest and good people.

• @Siberian76 you are assuming I am from Arizona. I am not. I said I lived there for several years. I have lived in North Dakota as well. In Minot.

• I think we are drifting "off topic".

• @CNYMike
    😂
    Excellent !

• Basic Math:

• Lou probably should not be an accountant. :)

• New health advice.

Before using a tea bag, it should be thoroughly rinsed in recently-boiled water.

• edited June 2020

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52968285

The caption below the photo reads :
    "John David Washington stars in
    Tenet alongside Elizabeth Debicki (seated)"

Helpful clarification that Elizabeth Debicki is the one without a beard.

• edited June 2020

I got some good news today, which I'd like to share with all my friends on the site.

I've been worried for a long time, that I have "Body Dysmorphic Disorder" which is an irrational belief by a person that they are very ugly.

I finally managed to get a meeting with a psychotherapist today, which owing to lockdown was actually a video conference. We had only been chatting for a few seconds, when she said, "The good news is, you don't have a mental illness". Unfortunately, the video link then crashed for some reason, so I'll have to wait until the next session to find out more.

• Hairdressers are still closed.

• [Deleted User]flickafire (deleted user)

I feel this on every level lmao

• It has nothing to do with Covid-19 (or cuddling), and I know how things have turned out with Bill Cosby. But a friend of mine had never heard it before and laughed, and we may have to remember how to drive.

• edited July 2020

Cursing warning for sensitive ears

• Cursing warning for sensitive ears

• @pmvines
    brilliant. love me some key and peele.