2008 - Financial Collapse is going to kill us all

2009 - Swine flu is going to kill us all

2012 - The Mayan calendar predicts the world ending

2013 - North Korea is going to cause WWIII

2014 - Ebola virus is going to kill us all

2015 - ISIS is going to kill us all

2016 - Zika virus is going to kill us all

2020 - Corona virus is going to kill us all

The truth is fear is killing you..... Turn off the TV, pray, trust God, and wash your hands.

Comments

• [Deleted User]outdoordude28 (deleted user)

@MemberofLDS lmao!!

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself” Franklin D. Roosevelt

• I think that pretending this will all go away is what led us to the place we're in right now. Keep the TV on, follow the news, stay informed... but the "wash your hands" part was good advice.

• Story doctor loves the media. Naive character.

• [Deleted User]MeAndWe (deleted user)

🤷

• No Kidding, Happy gil. Any "Doctor" who likes tv and the media that much can't be legit. I once went to a motivational seminar and an actual Doctor was one of the speakers. He said any food you see advertised on television is bad for you. Wise words.

• Hard to understand the point of this post. Some of the items you list are just silly, like the Mayan calendar. Other items were indeed serious problems, like Y2K, which contrary to popular belief wasn't a nonevent, it was a big deal that was largely mitigated due to the diligent work of thousands of software engineers fixing ancient code over the previous couple years.

"Wash your hands" is good advice. "Pray" is a waste of time. If your point is that some people are panicking more than necessary, well OK, I guess that's true, but this actually is a serious issue and people do need to take precautions.

• These are just supposed to be thought provoking discussion generators. Never a good sign when someone opens with :
    "Hard to understand the point of this post."

• It's not so much a measure that it will kill us all as that we need to control the spread rate. Many of us will get this no matter how much we wash our hands, but if it happens too quickly, society could be crippled.

• The big advantage that human society has, is that we can react on a global scale, to address problems that would indeed otherwise "kill us all".

The dinosaurs had millions of years to react to the asteroid that wiped them out. They really didn't worry enough.

What will "kill us all", is the first big problem that we don't take seriously enough.

As other posters have said, coronavirus is worst on those who are sick or old, the rest of us are just carriers. Anyone who is happy with that on their conscience, can ignore the advice.

• This too shall pass

I forgot that some people here are Atheist, sorry.

• I'm an atheist, thank God.

I also don't believe in astrology, which is typical Pisces.

@geoff1000 If you're an Atheist you're not supposed to say "Thank God". What is wrong with you? 🤔😂

• I'm actually a dyslexic atheist ; I don't believe there is a Dog.

• I guess I'm a dyslexic poly-theist - I believe many Dogs exist, with different attributes and purposes...

• @MemberofLDS Awesome points man! I definitely believe in God! Thank God! Amen! 😇

• The problem with Gods is they always take credit for the good things that happen but they never accept the blame when bad things happen.

• @UKGuy If something GOOD happens, God is great. If something BAD happens, God is mysterious and had other plans.

• Good god, bad devil. We all have a little bit of both in us

• edited March 2020

In evolutionary terms, creatures who are fearful stay alive for longer. Those who question out of fear "is that a lion over there?" stay alive for longer than those who bury their head and say "na not a lion, there's nothing out there" - those people got eaten by lions.

That's not to say we should be crippled with fear, rather listen and understand the facts (from good sources), stay hygienic and be mindful. It's sensible to plan ahead and protect our loved ones.

• @Gary
    I've heard that as an explanation of why we see a face of The Man in The Moon. We can recognise things from tiny details, and occasionally get it wrong.

The problem comes when we are too worried by the wrong things. During a fuel shortage in the UK, a taxi-driver was found to be storing several gallons of gasoline in a trash can in his living room.

• We can recognise things from tiny details, and occasionally get it wrong. [..] During a fuel shortage in the UK

Health is not a tiny detail. And it's not even closely comparable to a fuel shortage. We're talking about mass deaths here.

Although people like to compare this to seasonal flu, some majors difference between that is 1. we have a vaccine for the flu, 2. we don't have a vaccine for the cornavirus, 3. nobody has immunity to this new disease so it's spreading through the herd incredibly quickly, 4. even by the lowest mortality estimates it's still 5-10x more deadly than flu. To be lackadaisical and to not take this threat seriously would be a grave mistake.

It's sensible to make prepartions to ensure the vunerable are protected as much as possible, at least until the herd have built up stronger immunity to it and we have developed a vaccine.

• @gary
    I meant that we can sometimes see lions where there aren't, and although that may be generally wise, I was agreeing that there is a cost for being worried about the wrong things.

For example, closing schools stops children infecting each other, but means some workers have to remain at home to look after them ; and children may not be easily convinced to follow the government's rules anyway.

Beating the virus needs an organised response, and that means maintaining the infrastructure as best as we can. Those self-isolating at home might have enough food, but they will need water and electricity. Health workers will need transport, and equipment.

• @SimilarGamma , I agree with you regarding the Y2K. I write code for a living and 20 years after the fact, Y2K comes up in our discussions more often than not.

• The media got scolded by the U.S. Surgeon General this afternoon.

https://www.facebook.com/mediaresearchcenter/videos/1139475576403223/

• I couldn't wait to catch it and get over it, but some of the stories I'm seeing and hearing not just from the news but from people I interact with... I'm trying to quarantine, optimize my healthiness, and follow all of the guidelines for staying safe with this. It's terrifying at the moment, and I have a lung condition which could put me in the risk zone.

• @gary So the lion doesn’t fear so it should die according to your model of evolution. Evolution does not work off fear; it works on adaptation to a whole set of particulars—environment, changes, etc.