What affects has social distancing / isolation had on you?

Comments

• edited March 2020

It’s crushing. It’s harder to do life with a disability anyway, but I do, and now this . And no one wants to talk on the phone , or FaceTime, or even answer a simple hello on here. It’s isolating and depressing. I’m actually staying at my folks right now because st least there’s people here.

• P. S. If the world was invaded by jam-filled donuts*, which could only be destroyed by humans eating them ; I'm sure that some donut-loving citizens would nevertheless complain that a government instruction to "Eat donuts. Save lives", was unconstitutional and dictatorial.

*or other favourite food as appropriate

• [Deleted User]creedhands (deleted user)

This isolation is taking me back a few years. I'm rediscovering voices and personalities that we have.... I have.... tried hard to forget. But we can't....THEY can't be ignored. They press forward in the silence. We impress our will(s). Isolation?! Too many people in here to be isolated... It's getting stuffy. I need to open a window.

• I guess the idiots who dont want to do their part to destroy this virus should all find each other and go isolate somewhere away from the people who actually care about the masses

• I love that many of you shared and how we've various prospectives floating around. Anyway, here is how I'm doing, and what I'm learning along the way.

I'm alright. Some days are tough, others not so. Due to some reasons, I've been more or less self isolating before I became aware of the Coronavirus. Thus having to continue that isolation is taking a toll on me: though for the greater good, and that of my own, I'm determined to only go out for essentials.

Introvert, or not, sooner or later we reach our threshold for when we feel the need for social interactions: I'm finding speaking with others here, and there is helping. Along with striving to get in the flow state.

Most of all, I'm continuing to use this time to better my life skills, emotional, mental, etc., well-being. I found that for quite sometime, I've been the one to the point of exhaustion investing more in "friendships", and even at times acquaintances. I unfortunately excused, justified, and settled for behaviors/treatments that I shouldn't have, etc., due to reasons such as the hope that it'd get better, lack of a better understanding for myself, ignoring and or being unaware of the red flags.

Hence, I'm continuing to take this time to enhance my education, interpersonal, and intrapersonal skills, etc. Most of all, I am continuing to learn to love myself more. Therefore, I will increase my likelihood of mainly (because there is no perfection) going for, and or attracting mutual, consistent fulfilment, and care.

@Bles

"Social distancing just made me realize how shallow and superficial some people allow themselves to be. ..."

After some years of trial, and error in my social life, that's pretty much the conclusion I'm coming to as well: however, I think that it's important to continue striving to better connect with ourselves, and others. So that we increase our chances of mutual, consistent, and genuine satisfaction.

@ubergigglefritz

"... The very first thing you do with a baby after it's born is put it on the chest of its mother, not to eat (though that is done not much later), but to connect and feel their mother's touch. If a baby doesn't get bonding and connection with another human early in their life, it causes serious mental developmental problems. Not something you can fix easily like giving a hungry person a meal. If you don't understand the level of trauma around not getting this need met, and think it's a first world problem, consider yourself lucky. ..."

I'd say if someone, especially a baby/young child doesn't get (proper nutritious) food early on, it can cause serious and long lasting physical developmental problems later on, and just giving food doesn't always fix that either. So striving to meet both necessities is important!

• Now days setting up a kissing booth qualifies as mass murder if you think about it.

• edited March 2020

@adorable48

"It’s crushing. It’s harder to do life with a disability anyway, but I do, and now this . And no one wants to talk on the phone , or FaceTime, or even answer a simple hello on here. It’s isolating and depressing. I’m actually staying at my folks right now because st least there’s people here."

It can certainly be more challenging having a disability, and trying to social. While generally speaking it can take more: effort, longer, trial and errors for people with disabilities to find consistent, mutually fulfilling social connections. With the right tools, mindset, and perseverance it's possible to help ourselves in increasing our chances of reaching our goals.

My suggestion to you (and anyone who is feeling similarly) would be, if you've interest in helping others improve their English, Edit: and learn a new language or help with a language you know decently, join platforms that allow you to do language exchange. End of edit.

You may, or may not choose to have known that you've a disability, etc. Personally, I choose to not have it known, unless I feel/it is necessary to what I'm doing. Alternatively, you can find other platforms for making friends through common interests such as gaming, reading, etc., I find that is usually the best method. I seldom frequent this platform lately due to needing the time off. Though feel free to message me if you'd like suggestions on what platforms to try for connecting with others, I will be staying active here for at least a week. After that I'm deactivating. Letting others explicitly know that you are open/would like to speak with someone on those platforms is likely to help you connect with others. As well as including your interests, etc.

• We sometimes shy away from things that we know we would enjoy ( crack cocaine ) because we know they are addictive and harmful.

I have a similar concern, that if I go without social connection for too long, it may become the "new normal" and I may "lose my addiction" to it. There was a "Dark Ages" in my life where I thought I was managing without, but wasn't really managing ; like when you are hungry or tired, but don't know that you are short of food or sleep.

My ongoing peckishness ( not yet hunger ) for social connection, is a comforting reminder that I'm not there yet. It is like missing a friend, reminds you that you consider them a friend ; and it is the condition of not missing them, that should worry us.

• @adorable48 just be aware that some people on language exchange, etc., platforms are strictly looking for language exchange, similarly here: not friendship. So once they reach their goal with you, you might find that they are nowhere to be found. Or if they get into a relationship, they disappear on you. So I advise going into the world of language exchange, cuddling, etc., for the actual goal, along with the possibility of a friendship: if that's what suits you, and not forgetting that it might be a temporary connection.

• Lately I’ve been doing more thinking. Here are some random thoughts.

If you don’t have a will drafted, now is a good time to put one together. It is good to think about the possibility of your own death. Plan for it, everyone will deal with it sooner or later.

Most of the things we worry about never end up happening, but death is guaranteed. Now, do what you can to survive this. Be smart. You probably won’t get sick if you isolate yourself. This is a small price to pay for a longer future life.

We humans are exceptional at adapting to adversity. You’re stronger than you think. Imagine that you have to socially distance for a few months. Take it one day at a time. There is no past, there is no future, only the present moment.

There is no way to know if the effects of the corona virus will ultimately be beneficial to humanity’s survival, or not. Perhaps these events now are going to prepare us, the survivors, for something that we cannot imagine.

Everyone will experience this event from their own perspective. What is true for you may not apply to anyone else.

This can be an opportunity for you to learn about yourself. A chance to contemplate your life and your goals. Make the best of it.

There is no value in worrying. Either you can change a situation, or you cannot. Either way, worry doesn’t have any benefit.

We now have a great advantage. We have the internet and we can communicate. Years ago this was not possible. We can reach out to others around the world, even in isolation. So, our isolation is only limited to the physical realm. Our minds are free.

I’ll leave you with this uplifting performance:

• @MrPaul
    That's a good outlook.

Each for us only has one of 2 outcomes :

1. Don't make it
      If you don't have a will, someone else will decide what happens to your assets, which may not be what you want.

2. Do make it
      Most of us will be having "if only" moments, lessons that would have made life easier ; so make note of them for next time.
      I read somewhere that businesses repeat the same mistakes on a cycle of about 30 years, which is how long it takes for most of those who experienced it the first time around, to have retired, so the company has forgotten how bad it was.
      Perhaps it is no coincidence that Spanish Flu was almost exactly a century ago. No adults or even teenagers from then, are alive today.

Having said that, (2) is an asset, which is a useful addition to (1) ; and will help keep us busy.

• I have taken to heart these posts and will begin socially isolating so that I may flatten the curve.

(Have I missed any buzz phrases?)

• Nobody cares about your sarcasm re this matter. Truly, they don't

• @pmvines I apologize. This is a very serious matter. Hell, nearly 0.0499813569682152% of the population is infected as we speak!!

If I don't socially distance and flatten the curve, that percentage could climb to 0.08% in a matter of weeks! Yikes!

• edited April 2020

(MOD) Personal attacks are best avoided. Please try again. [SoulcuddlerZ]

• Thanks @ubergigglefritz numbers don't lie no matter how they are spun

• @pmvines No spin. Just simple division. Shelter in place, and do not come out until the man on TV tells you you're permitted to do so. I care about you.

• Every mass murderer in history could claim that their behaviour caused the death of only a tiny percentage of the human race at the time.
    The large population of the world, doesn't justify being negligent about some of them, for one's convenience.

There are enough people having to put themselves and others at risk, in order to fight the virus, or minimise the effects of lockdown on vulnerable people. We don't need to unnecessarily add to that.

• @geoff1000 People die on a daily basis for a variety of reasons. We don't typically shut the world down for most of them. This is somehow special though, I guess.

Good on you for doing your part to "flatten the curve", as the saying goes.

• @SoulcuddlerZ if you're going to delete my REAL data and not just the words "acting like an idiot", can you please delete the fake numbers in the post above mine? We don't need more people trying to convince people there is no need to take the coronavirus seriously. K thanks. Seriously. Why did you delete the data I presented?

• I was even careful to NOT attack the person, only the behavior. There is a distinct difference. I don't think @ARCuddlist is an idiot nor do I think he's a jerk. Or whatever else I said about his behavior. He IS passing along incorrect information in an effort to explain the lack of need to be concerned, which directly impacts me and everyone else in this country.

• @ARCuddlist Do you have ANY idea what is going on in NYC right now? I just can't talk to people with your attitude. It's well past the point of being obvious as to why we need to be cautious. 🙄

• [Deleted User]SoulcuddlerZ (deleted user)
  • Almost 8,000 new cases so far today in NY and over 12 deaths an hour in NY alone today. That's one every FIVE minutes on average. Their hospitals are already overwhelmed. Setting up tents wherever they can, using whatever other spaces they can to hold the sick. This is NOT something anyone wants in their local town or city to this level. This is no joke. People need to stop downplaying it. 😡

• [Deleted User]SoulcuddlerZ (deleted user)

And there will be even more cases to come! Unfortunately, ignorance remains bliss for many, and this is established with at least one incident every week. @ubergigglefritz you are right - folks shouldn't be downplaying the COVID-19 pandemic. But, some will continue to do so. In this case, my sympathy will be with those who suffer as a result of others' ignorance and not their own.

• I think it's fair to say that if countries had NOT locked down as they are, just about everyone in the world would have caught it by now.
    Reducing transmission alone won't eradicate the virus, but it will mean that a vaccine can help the very large percentage who managed to avoid it for that long, but wouldn't have been able to avoid it forever.
    As countries get down from their peak ( China, South Korea ) they will again be playing a grim game of Whac-a-mole, catching and tracing any new cases and their contacts. This time though, they have a test.

The other very important thing to remember is that medical intervention ( ventilators ) is reducing the fatality rate ; and "keeping down the curve" gives time for that capacity to be increased. If that capacity gets overwhelmed, it's very bad news for the stragglers, and the rate will leap. Every bed, nurse, and doctor treating this new threat ; is one less spare for all the existing ones.

I think of it like an express train, running up behind a slow goods train. Braking the express train and accelerating the goods train as hard as we are, means both will need serious repairs afterwards ; but the alternative is a collision.

• edited April 2020

@ubergigglefritz @geoff1000 @SoulcuddlerZ definitely!

It's easy to throw around percentages, and consider them "not much", *"not affecting me". That is selfish, and despicable when people aren't listening and looking behind the actual issue, the people suffering, and what we need to be doing to help ease the situation. Some of you are not as "immune", "independent" and "healthy/free from the virus" as you think you are: having a higher chance of making it through doesn't mean that there is no risk to you suffering, or even dying from it, either. You, or others* around* you* could be carrying it for days without realizing it: which is part of the reason why it's so easy to spread it.

People and their loved ones are dying of this new issue, many suffering. Many are exhausted in trying to fight it, and either have none, or limited supplies, and support to help deal with the issue. We are being asked to help ease the situation so that we give time to the development of treatments. So that we don't overwhelm those doing their best to save us: often sacrificing so much of themselves for the good of humanity. This all is before we even get to countries that might be suffering much more than ours. The sooner we all listen, and don't act like rowdy kindergarteners on time out: the better it will be for all of us. We are more connected, and dependent on each other than we realize. If all act selfish, then society is bound to fall apart like a row of dominoes. We need more care, and cooperation.

• [Deleted User]acer12 (deleted user)

@ubergigglefritz
    I support your thoughts regarding the seriousness of this virus. People dying is a tragedy and family and friends are affected, especially in the cases where they cannot say goodbye. Anyone who thinks just because it is a low percentage, it is still a big number.
    Stay home, wash your hands, and follow the advice of those in the know, everybody.

• It's difficult. Trying to remain calm but having moments of panic and disbelief that this is really happening. Feeling that my struggles are not unique and being shared by billions of people around the world doesn't really make it any easier, but it is a small comfort to know that I'm not alone. I guess it would be much harder if we didn't have social media and instant messaging to stay in touch with each other and to share our feelings and experiences, so in that respect it could be worse.

It's also extremely frustrating that a lot of people are STILL not taking it seriously enough. The more people act like this is a joke, or the media hyping it up to stop Trump being reelected (LOL) the LONGER this will have to go on.

• Thanks for the positive tags and responses. 😊