What does it feel like to accurately observe 6 feet of physical distance when out in public?

[Deleted User]Bles (deleted user)
edited April 2020 in General

How do you accurately measure an observation of 6 feet of physical distance between yourself and the next person?

Should one wear surgical masks and gloves in public?

What does 6 feet of physical distance actually look like?

Comments

• I saw a meme that should two people separated by a tiger and they were saying that is how much 6ft is.

Also at my store that I work at, they have tape on the floor at the registers accurately depicting 6ft. I personally do not wear a mask, but some choose to.

• If adults could reach out and touch fingertips, they are too close.

• edited April 2020

Imagine yourself laying down to do a pushup. Add a little if you're under 6ft.

This morning at Walmart at 645, 15 min before opening, I was about 10th in line. An employee was showing people where to stand in line. Scored a 24 pack of Bounty! Woot!

• [Deleted User]Bles (deleted user)

I've been reading the medical literature online and have been surprised to discover that the 6 feet distancing being suggested is based on what was done for the Corona virus outbreak in the 1930's. It's now being suggested that the 6 feet physical distance is not enough for the novel Sars-Covid 19. Some virologists are suggesting a 27 feet physical distance to effectively prevent transmission of the virus.

That's where that question came from. Lots of peer reviewed journals and podcasts to review. It's been fascinating to listen to and read the respected opinion of these doctors and virologists from around the world. The past month of absorbing and processing all that information has jaded and exhausted my mind. But I'm fascinated by it all the same. We're all learning about this novel Sars-Covid-19 together.

• @Bles
    27 feet !

I guess that's why the advice is to stay at home, and only go to places where a 6 feet threshold is observed, when absolutely necessary.
    If it is windy, upwind is safer, but downwind is much more risky.

Formation-display aircraft can fly very close together, but airliners try to keep much further apart. It's rather like drink driving ; below a threshold might keep you out of jail, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to push the boundary all the time.