Possible Overshare - Cuddle Pet

I am finding that I need more than just cuddling. I miss the connection, adoration, and unconditional love. I started therapy last week and it is lovely. Today he mentioned potential PTSD, which I hadn’t really considered before. I just assumed everyone goes through hard times and since I haven’t been beaten or in the military then it wasn’t anything abnormal. However, when he mentioned PTSD and how some people find the unconditional love from a pet to be therapeutic I really started considering it. I didn’t want to deal with hair, smells, getting up to let an animal out, having to be home when I don’t want to be, making arrangements for when I travel for work (which I used to do often), I really convinced myself that I didn’t want a pet. However, the feeling that I’m searching for- that love and loyalty from someone that won’t just up and leave or cheat or lie... I feel my heart fill.

I can remember being a child and cuddling our Yorkie and loving it so much. The cat I had in college loved me more than life. I want to be needed and wanted and to pour my time, love, and attention into something that will appreciate me and when my kids are with their dad I don’t have an outlet for that. With a pet I would. I think.

Anyway, sorry for the overshare but I am wondering if any of you have gotten a pet to help and if it worked. I like cuddling but the feeling is so temporary and fleeting. I’m wondering if having a dog or cat to lay in bed with at night would help.

I looked up low maintenance cuddly pets and dogs are not at the top, but I’m willing to do the work. However, if anyone has experience with other pets being cuddly then please let me know.

Please only comment if you can be positive - it’s been a long week.
Thanks!

Comments

• Hi @PlayWithMyHair thanks for sharing. Cats are pretty low maintenance. Also not sure how you feel about reptiles but believe it or not snakes can be pretty calming. If you have your sites on a dog I would suggest not getting a puppy due to the high maintenance . Older dogs tend to be more calm , and have training and personality developed so you know a bit more of if would be a good match. Less energetic too so more likely to chill with you for extended periods

• I never thought I'd love a small dog but this breed has it all- a sweet heart with a big personality. Here is a link on them from you tube:

Watch "Miniature Schnauzer Dogs 101: Is a Miniature Schnauzer Dog Right For You?" on YouTube

• Rats are actually really cuddly, smart and super low maintenance. I used to have one that potty trained himself and snuggled up with me every night. If you get any go to a rat breeder, it’s a huge difference.

• I got a dog when dealing with some childhood ptsd issues. You can see him in my profile. He has helped tremendously. He looks a little uncomfortable when I hug him, lol. But he’s getting used to it. He definitely helps with the Covid loneliness and also gets me out of the house daily for walks. Good luck!

• The lowest maintenance 'pets' are creatures in the wild, and I'm lucky enough to live near some woods with squirrels, rabbits, birds, and the occasional fox. If I'm quiet, walk slowly, and don't look directly at them ; they sometimes hang around until I'm very close.

I'd struggle with a pet, because few of them live as long as we do, and I cope badly when I have to lose a car.

• [Deleted User]Bles (deleted user)

I used to have cats and a German Shepherd hybrid. My cats got me through my PMS and low mood days. They snuggled up on my abdomen and kept my belly warm for hours.

My German Shepherd hybrid kept me company. He listened to all my rants and vents by keeping that steady gaze. Then lick my face and hands when I was done.

In exchange for their kindness I had a routine for feeding, grooming and exercising them. My cats I played stretching games with my Jax ball. They loved to jump up and reach for that tiny ball and compete with each other to catch it with their paws. Other times they were just comfortable with laying on their backs with all fours in the air and have me tickle their bellies.
    My German Shepherd just loved my long walks. He didn't care what terrain. He didn't care about the weather. As long as he was out and about. That was his bonding time with me. And I loved it as did he.

Both sets of animals read my moods like a book. My routine with them helped them gauge my needs emotionally. My cats knew when I was feeling achy. My dog knew when I needed a listening ear. And I knew when each of them needed my attention. It's a win-win that helped me through some of the darkest and loneliest periods of my life.

My two cats lived to be 10 and 15 years old. My dog survived to 19 years. I grieved their passing for a long time. They were my family and life long friends. They were a huge blessing.

• Hey there @PlayWithMyHair

This webpage is dedicated to the topic of pet choices for those with PTSD. One thing I liked about the information provided is they touch upon the different ways PTSD manifests and relates that to different animal's temperaments.

https://mooshme.com/the-best-emotional-support-animals-for-ptsd-sufferers/

As far as a personal experience suggestion ~ If you have the opportunity for an extended visit with a prospective pet partner, try allowing yourself to move from, "OMG it's the cutest thing ever!" to, even if only slightly, the primary emotion that's been overwhelming you, and notice how the animal reacts to you, and you to it, in that moment.

I'm saying all this because my cuddle pup, although incredibly sweet and by my side nearly all day, everyday ~ when I'm being flooded she'scelsewhete. She either doesn't know what to do or just can't handel it. Either way, in an emotional crisis she's pretty much worthless. And as much as I love her, I wish I had known that detail before adopting her.

Also - I totally agree with not getting a puppy and that rats are great companions!

Wishing you all the best ~ 💐

• At first I sent this as a pm to op. But I'll share it here.

Hey! I am VERY loyal! And Nice. And Cuddly! I can give you ALL that, just not the sex lol. : )

Well, I'm going to tell you what I think and sorry that it's not all positive but it's all honest and no one brought this up so.....

I love animals, probably rescued over 50 during my travels abroad. Mostly cats, save for 2 dogs. And in the states I had cats in my house for many years, even when I was soooo busy playing softball leagues and tournaments. But you begin to think of them like family, and eventually their tragically short lives (compared to humans) will end and they usually do not just die. Hardly ever. Instead, you see them fading and suffering and YOU have to decide to end it. It's the most horrible thing ever. I'm sad when a human dies. But I'm crushed and unbelievably guilt stricken when one of my pets lives ends. Did I give them a good life? Am I giving up on them? Can they be fixed/saved? And I also refuse to let a vet put a needle in them without me there. I have to be the last face they see, the last voice they hear. And it's soul crushing. I'm a mess. But they won't die with a stranger.

But I've decided no more pets. Not unless I see a stray and I help it out but even then I will try to rehome. I hope you find peace however you decide to move forward. And I hope you aren't paying too much hard earned money to a shrink. They are humans who sat in a classroom. They know nothing you cannot google. : )
    Mike