be cautious

I just came across on of those Nigerian scammers on here. I think the system caught her as the profile was taken down, but when she was texting me, she kept asking me to send her money thru bitcoin in order to get gas to come see me for a session. I told me "no" and that if she really wanted us to get together, then I would come to her. I called her on the phone and the connection was bad, or so it appeared, and she then called me back several times with her supposedly not being about to hear me. When she did final "hear" me (off and on) I noticed a Nigerian accent and hung up on her.

Comments

• I am sad to hear about your experiences. Sadly those types of scammers are weight to common. @ABrokenMan I have heard of people in real life falling for those types of scams and sending money 💰 before the heartbreak. Happy that you did not fall for it.

• Ive run across those people EVERYWHERE on the internet, so I saw the signs! They tell the same basic story every time!

• @ABrokenMan Very true man, on all sites we have to be careful. I have caught on to the stories as well.

• Weight 2 in common

• Yes lots of scammers . most want money up front . once you know the stories you catch on quickly .

• edited August 2020

Trusting people you don't know, is a form of gambling, so the same advice applies ; to only stake, what you really don't mind losing.

We all like to think we can recognise these scams, and it might be worth occasionally spending a few dollars, just to see that we were right. However, it might be better to "virtually" bank the money we would have sent each time, and save up to hire a pro. Scammers, like senders of junk mail, only continue because enough people pay to make it worthwhile.

Someone once asked me for money, so they could travel about 200 miles to collect a much larger amount of money they were owed. I offered to drive them, and suddenly it all went quiet. At the time, I believed they were genuine ; and perhaps the key in such a situation is to reply in a plausible and reasonable way, explaining that perhaps one has a full tank of gas, but no cash.

• When you offer a scammer and alternative they either go quiet or try to turn the tables to make it all your fault .

• A lot of times too they will keep hounding you for the money in the same way they originally asked for it after you tell them "no" & with you offering an alternative.

• Guilt is definitely one weapon in the scammer's arsenal. We are programmed to help those in need, and it can be emotionally damaging to think we might have chosen to not do that.

However, we all have limited resources, and most people in the world are worse off than we are.