Travel Fees

I just tried to book a session with a pro and she said I would have to pay her Uber fees which to me and back would be over $100 total. I think it’s very unfair for clients to pay such a large travel fee, it’s as if we are being penalized for the pro not having a car. I think in situations like this, we should be given a reasonable compromise. What do you are think can be a reasonable compromise in a situation like this that would be fair to both the client and the pro?

My ideas are:

Split the cost. The pro can pay her share in session time. If she charges $100 an hour and her half of the travel fee is $50, she cuddles for an additional 30 minutes to cover the travel fee.

Book a longer session and throw in an hour for free. If the client pays the travel fees and books a multiple hour session, the pro will add an hour at no cost to make up for the travel fee.

Opinions?

Comments

• @Morpheus - Tell her to take the bus.

• I only charge travel for the way there. Not the way back. So I guess that’s sort of like paying half the travel lol. I also don’t charge for travel until it’s over an hour drive.
    Every pro is different so you might find it hard to have a pro change the way she deals with clients. She may view it in a way that means she doesn’t want to spend a dollar on anything. She just wants profit.

• edited October 2020

My opinion re travel feels is this. I preface with utmost respect to pro cuddlers and my support to being able to charge as you see fit . My thoughts on this are that sometimes taking on an expense such as travel is part of the job, and you can't necessarily expect that a client is going to be open to absorbing all.of the costs associated with work . I have seen some people talk about their rates being based on things like hygiene products, water , snacks, cost of the make up , nail care, products used, laundry , etc. All broken down in a detailed itemized list which I get it , things aren't cheap, however these are all expenses that pop up when working and also the client has expenses too. Cant necessarily pass all of that along to the client fee . For example, I have 3 jobs . I cover 3 dialysis clinics for my full time job and work weekends as well as some late afternoons at two different hospitals. Two of my clinics are mine where the other third Is not , I am filling in until they get another social worker, so I get mileage reimbursement for that one clinic only . My two hospital jobs I do not get mileage., in fact one of them I have to pay a monthly city lot fee as there is no employee parking at the hospital. It is in the city and only has limited parking for patients. I see some pros charging not just what it would cost for them to travel but a fee on top of.it . If you are also paying a room, some.of the fees seem like a lot to ask . I have also seen a couple folks say they require money for food expenses. Again I support the right to charge as one sees fit, and I dont really have a dog in the fight as I am not hiring cuddlers so it doesn't really apply to me at the moment. Just my three cents on the matter. And not meant as disrespect, just there are costs associated with working and a lot of jobs dont pay your transportation to and from work , and those that do do it on a mileage only basis, which is typically up to 55 cents per mile .

• I charge travel fees if you're more than 20 Miles from me. I think thats fair.
    It takes about $60 to fill my tank. I typically charge $30.

• I personally charge for gas and tolls. I live near the border of New Jersey and often have to go up to North Jersey which has a lot of tolls. For a while I did absorb the costs. I wondered why it seemed like I was making all this money but never seemed to have any leftover after paying my bills. I soon realized I was spending hundreds of dollars a month on gas and tolls and if I just passed the cost on to my clients it would be very little extra to them but help me remain financially secure and keep my rates down. Typically gas and tolls are only about $20-$30. If a client chooses a hotel where I have to pay for parking they also have to pass on that cost. I often have to drive an hour plus to get to my clients so I feel like this is more than fair. That being said I do think it is pretty difficult to be a professional cuddler without a place to host or having a car unless you live in a city where you can walk or take public transit and that is only if it’s a city abundant with clients. I suppose some clients are willing to pay for the Uber and if that works for the cuddler good for them. I hope that cuddling brings them enough money that they can eventually buy a car.

• edited October 2020

@xandriarain I can see where it would be different based on location . I am in alabama where most people drive . I can see where public transport, tolls , and relying on uber and Lyft would add up

• As a professional, I use my own car. I charge for gas, mileage ( the wear on the car ) and time. Time is Money. If I have to drive past 45 min, that's time I could have scheduled someone else. If you don't want to pay a travel fee then find a way to your pro ☺️ either way you have to spend . Remember that other people closer to us can fill that time. It is still our job, it's still a business. I use gas buddy to calculate my gas and 25¢ per mile for wear and tear (really for every mile wear and tear has been calculated to be 50¢) and yes time. I work another job and refuse to drive anywhere past 30 min.

Each professional have different rates bc they think of different factors that they value.

• edited June 2021

My travel free is .55/km regardless of method, unless you're actually in my city within reasonable driving/walking distance (usually a radius of 10km). It's not out of my way to hop on a bus for about $7 round trip regardless of how much time it takes me. I have things I can do on the bus including work, so I'm not going to ask you to reimburse me for that. However if I have to leave Oshawa or Durham region to get to you, you are subject to the travel fee because I'm going out of my way to accommodate you. People from Toronto for example who want to book will be paying anywhere from $20-$40, which I think is more reasonable than just charging them a full hour. If I was wanting to claim this travel on my taxes then it wouldn't make sense for me to charge travel by the hour.

Every pro's needs are different and therefore policies will be different. "If it's not your chop, continue to shop".

• [Deleted User]Moxytocin (deleted user)

This is an old post, sorry, but my thinking is if you do this as a pro, you are a sole proprietor and can claim gas/milage ?/mile (can't remember amount right now), tolls, car wear and tear, etc on taxes. Lodging too I believe. I haven't had enough to figure this out for my taxes yet but I'm tracking it all for next time. I can't even remember what I charge for travel without looking at my profile (if I even added it). But the fee in OP seems excessive.

• [Deleted User]BigBear4Cuddles (deleted user)

@MaineCuddle I'm not a pro, but in addition to gas, etc., make sure you put in a fair hourly wage for your travel time. If you think $20/hr is fair and you are going to burn $15 in gas an hour, charge $35-$40/hr for travel.

• edited August 2022

The only spam allowed here is by way of Spamelot. Now go away before I taunt you a second time. [-Sid]