Video Games.

Comments

• I am hoping the new AMD GPUs turn out well as nvidia has been pretty crap for a while. What we need is a 50/50 market share where both companies offer good products that compete with eachother hard. Nvidia is a garbage company that does a lot of stuff that sucks for games and gamers but AMD would likely do the same thing so you can't have either of them winning too much.

• edited November 2020

If anyone wants to try an MMORPG, Final Fantasy XIV is really good. Much better than World of Warcraft IMO.

edit: MMORPG stands for Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game

• Shards of Dalaya is the mmo I am playing currently

• I'm honestly so in love with my switch and PS4 I dont feel the need to get any newer gens. Particularly because I have so many already with games I havent even beaten. And I'm currently going through a phase of replaying older Fore emblem and gamecube games haha the gamecube was by far my fave console

• If I play a game (which isn't as often as I used to), I've tended to play games on my PC. For a console, I still have a Nintendo Wii.. I occasionally like to play Wii Sports bowling or tennis and a couple others with it.

• @FlyingToaster - People still play the Wii? The motion controls were gimmicky. You could play tennis by just flicking your wrist.

• I have a PC with a 1070ti, a switch, and a ps4. I see not one game on the new Playstation and Xbox that looks worth getting. A lot of the launch titles look like remakes or are already out on another platform. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I really don't get why people are hyped over the new consoles.

• @Mike403 The Wii Sports games aren't exactly like the real thing, but I enjoy it.. You -can- play tennis just by flicking your wrist, but I think it's more realistic & fun to play more like how you'd actually play tennis - which does work.

I've just preferred to put more money into a good PC rather than having the latest console because a PC is what I use more often.

• @FlyingToaster - If you want realism, play a VR tennis game. I have an Oculus Quest 2 and the motion controls actually are motion controls.

• @Mike403 I haven't looked into that, but it would be interesting to see some motion controls that are more realistic. I currently don't have a VR set, but I've considered possibly buying one at some point.

• I tried playing a metroid game on the wii because I really liked metroid on the SNES....it was a disaster. Those wii controllers were trash and made a bad game even worse. I never got very far with it before turning the game off in disgust. Metroid: Other M was the name of it. Yuck.

• @JasonCuddles Some games are better on some platforms than on others. But Nintendo did make a couple of "classic controllers" for the Wii (such as this one and this one), which plug into the wireless Wii controller - Those were made mainly for older games played through the Virtual Console on the Wii. The Nintendo Wii (at least the earlier versions) also has ports where you can plug in Nintendo GameCube controllers (since the Wii can also play GameCube games), and some other games can make use of the GameCube controllers as well.

I think those Mini SNES consoles are fairly cool though. They can also be modded to let you load more games on them. And for that matter, a Wii can also be hacked so you can install emulators on it and put games for older systems on it.

• I think there are some really fun Wii games... Bowling & Tennis sure, but there's also Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, Mario Kart, Outdoor Challenge, Rock Band (most), ExciteBots (an amusing one to watch others play) and a mess of others too.

Sure it may not be the best if you're really into
    'traditional' video games, or those providing immersive graphics, but if you're looking to bond with others while tearing up from side spliting laughter ~ I think the Wii brings that better than any other system. At least it does when we all play it.

• [Deleted User]DarkLordChungus (deleted user)

Regarding the Wii: there were some solid games on the system. Muramasa: The Demonblade was awesome, Metroid Prime 3 (as well as the re-releases of 1 & 2), Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Mario Galaxy, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, The House of the Dead: Overkill (and 2&3 Return) and it had the best version of Resident Evil 4.

• I just got Katamari Damacy Reroll. I'm wondering when they are going to remake/rerelease We Love Katamari (potential title We Still Love Katamari). I'm glad they brought this game back for more modern systems (apparently it does work on the new gen coming out as well). I got the PS4 version, there's also an XBox and Switch versions.

• Why is this flight simulator so addicting?

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AklKQgFuN5SqgddL1xrPbxq0alDtKg

• I am looking forward to playing some STALKER: Anomaly.....but first I need to mod the weapons and ammo so I can enjoy the game properly. Hopefully there aren't too many variants or it's going to take quite a while.

• Final Fantasy XIV Online has the best video game soundtrack I have ever heard.

• I'll eventually get a PS5. I probably won't be able to afford it for a couple years, though. Sony just has way better exclusives. Spiderman, God of War, Demons Souls, Bloodborne. Xbox has what? Generic shooters like Halo and Gears? Eh, no thanks. Halo 1 and 2 were innovators that I respect, but the series should have ended years ago. I enjoyed Gears of War 1 back in the day, but I think cover shooter mechanics were a step back for the genre. Give me Doom over a waist high wall to duck behind any day.

Microsoft did buy Bethesda recently, though. I find that worrisome. I hate the games they develop, but they have an amazing eye for talent as a publisher. Prey, Doom, Evil Within and probably tons more were published by them.

I want to get a Switch at some point, but yeah it costs money you know. I probably could've afforded one by now, but I never made it a priority. I'm content with my PS4 for now.

Btw, if you like Game Pass, PlayStation has PlayStation Now as well. A ton of great games on there. I think Game Pass might have a better selection, but not by a ton. Microsoft had to do something to keep up with Sony's exclusives dominance. They went with giving away access to games. I'm happy with PS Now regardless. I paid $60 for a year of it back on spring of this year and I've played like dozen different top tier games on through it. Even more of you count the ones I started only to discover they were very awful. There's probably hundreds of games on there. So of course there's a few helpings of shovelware.

• @Mike403 I like the scenery generation in MS Flight Simulator 2000. A couple of my favorite places I've seen in there are Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), San Francisco, and Paris, France.

• @FlyingToaster - I just updated my RAM from 16GB to 32GB. I didn't realize it would make such a dramatic difference in the load times in MS Flight Simulator 2020. I'm no longer staring at a loading screen for nearly 5 minutes. Next will be the graphics card when I can find one.

• @Mike403 I think 32GB RAM is the way to go. Also a good SSD helps. I'd still like to upgrade my video card to an RTX 3000 series if I can find one in stock at some point.

• This game gave me nightmares for a month.

• Just got Age of Calamity and 3D all stars who needs to go outside??

• Plague tale was okay. I found it was a little too gamey at times though. Things only being able to take damage under certain conditions and such.

It was good enough to complete though.

• Just in case you don't know about it.....

https://www.old-games.com/

Does what it says on the tin.

• [Deleted User]DarkLordChungus (deleted user)

I'm playing through Skyrim once again. I realized the other day that I'd never gotten through the main quest as a stealth-focused character, and I felt compelled to do so.

It's strange. I dislike many, many aspects of Skyrim, and yet I sometimes feel an itch to play it, if only for a little while. The game, as a whole, is very poorly written. The quest lines, the characters, the dialogue—it's all painfully mediocre high fantasy garbage. Furthermore, despite being marketed as an RPG, and coming from an RPG series, Skyrim is a wonky action game with little to no choice regarding anything.

Still, I'm back in, sneaking around as a cat person. It's distracting, I guess.

• A man's wife forces him to sell his PS5 after getting busted telling her that it's an air purifier.

https://www.radio.com/b96/news/mans-wife-sells-his-ps5-he-said-was-an-air-purifier