Video Games.

[Deleted User]DarkLordChungus (deleted user)

Hello, dear reader. A new generation of consoles is right around the corner. As I've noticed a couple of video game-centric threads in the forum, I thought to ask: which system do you intend to get? The Xbox Series X/S, or the PS5? Or perhaps you intend to wait a while before making a purchase, to wait and see what sort of games come out for each platform? Or, maybe, you're a PC gamer and are saving up for a fancy new graphics card, with zero intent on giving Microsoft or Sony money for their new devices? Possibly, you have a Switch and are entirely content with that?

Do feel free to post about anything game-related, though.

As for myself, I mean to get a Series X. I don't play games as much as I used to, and Game Pass is very appealing to me. With that said, the remake of Demon's Souls does look super cool, and the potential of a Bloodborne remaster or sequel is very appealing.

Comments

• We’re going for the PlayStation but we’re waiting a little bit. We’re excited for the new Spider-Man game and I’ve always enjoyed getting free games on the PlayStation network. I love that they are changing Spider-Man in the game to have Tom Holland’s image. 🥰

• Big-budget games of the last decade or two just haven't appealed to me, for the most part. The last game system I bought was an XBox 360, and that was almost entirely for the purpose of playing the Rock Band series of games. I eventually bought a proper Yamaha electronic drumset for use with Rock Band, which I guess makes that my biggest gaming purchase?

Otherwise, I found that I prefer retro and indie retro-inspired games such as The Messenger, and they don't usually require much in the way of hardware.

I've enjoyed going back and finishing games from my childhood that I didn't get to complete at the time. They're not necessarily good games that I could recommend on their own merits, but nostalgia is strong, and finishing them gives a little bit of a sense of closure. In one case (WarWizard), I picked up the game again because I found out that the main designer, Brad McQuaid, passed away last year. Since there is astonishingly little information about the game out there--especially surprising since Brad McQuaid is well known as one of the founders of EverQuest--I've started reverse engineering the WarWizard game data to put together some maps and guides.

• I will get a PS5 since it will play PS4 games. Eventually, I might also get an Xbox series s if there are any Xbox exclusives I want to play. Currently, I am playing Spider-Man and replaying The Outer Worlds. Also, fighting my way through the story of Marvel's Avengers.

• This is my gaming setup that I put together during quarantine.

• I tend to play games on my PC. I don't have a rrcent console.

• I'm still looking for an original Gameboy with Tetris to fall into my lap...

• @FlyingToaster Same. Just laptop for me. Civ III, Age of Empires II, Football Manager 2011 and Baseball Mogul and occasionally Hitman. But I have a slew of systems from the mid 80s to 90s. Genesis, PS1, Nintendo, Intellivision and over 100 games I plan to get on Ebay one of these days. I even have one ps1 game still in plastic that I've occasionally seen on ebay for over $500. I used to buy bundles thinking I'd be bored when I'd go overseas for a tour then I'd just fall in love with Madden and play nothing else. smh

• edited October 2020

I didn't know that Brad died. I actually still play EQ, sorta, in the form of Shards of Dalaya. It's not EQ and it's different but it still has much of that same base feel.

I am a windows gamer, though consoles and PCs have gotten more and more similar. The difference between the ps5 and new Xbox is pretty much nothing beyond some software. Kinda like running Linux vs Windows.

I am going to get some new PC stuff pretty soon. Likely going zen3 but I will see if Intel can offer something good enough. I doubt it though. I think I will hold off on buying a new video card. It doesn't look like the "budget" 3-400 dollar ones will be out for a while and I may just not need one in the end. I have a 970.

Edit------
    Just wanted to mention that almost all pc gamers pay a Microsoft tax too. They made sure that game devs got sucked into directx and that doesn't look like it's going to change any time soon. Especially since valve, seemingly, does not care about their Linux gaming OS anymore.

• I haven't played a video game since I used to frequent the video arcades in Times Square, New York in the 1980's.

• I’m going to hold off on buying a PS5 for a little while. Typically, new consoles have some kinks that need to ironed out. And I have a ridiculous backlog of games anyway so I can’t really justify the purchase. The next gen games look.amazing though.

• I have so many games to still play on my PS4 that I can't see myself purchasing the PS5 for at least a year.

• I'll probably get a PS5, when Black Myth: Wukong comes out, but I'm not in any hurry to get a new console. Largely due to being broke.

• Interesting video about video games:

• Does anyone watch the Angry Video Game Nerd? I find him hilarious. He reviews bad games and finds funny things to say about them. This one is about a game on the CD-i console, an infamously bad console from Phillips.

Warning: He uses offensive language a lot

• Old man griping alert

So my 20 year old son was living at his boyfriend's for the last year and has been back with me since mid September. I curse video games because he is up all damn night and all day on his computer. Doesnt have a job . Up at all hours and it is messing with my sleep! I work 7 days a week with multiple jobs . Damn kids and their electronics!!

I am done now

• @pmvines - Sounds like an addiction problem. There's nothing wrong with video games as long as you take care of other responsibilities. If he's unemployed, he should be looking for work.

• @pmvines ~ Covid preventions (encouraging shut-in behavior) doesn't help either. I was considering an internet shut-down timer thing, but with unlimited non-wifi connections and hot-spot capabilities in our hands, it would be pointless.

At times though my inability to quiet my mind and be a responsible adult is pushed aside by something else. A few nights a week it's been drag racers (lol - on the news the other day, they said 16 were arrested and 14 cars were seized). Other times it's the tweaker neighbor, who does loud mechanic work at 2:00 am (ugh!), in the driveway 8 feet from my bedroom window! But last night, right as I was starting to get sleepy, a big ass spider ran over my arm! Big! Like the size of a fricken nickel big! And I wasn't able to catch him! So that kicked off a long night of restlessness! If only all I had to contend with was stupid video games!!! I'm actually a little envious.

• @quixotic_life - There was a time I was depressed, all I could think about was playing video games when I'm not working. I couldn't socialize with anyone, so I did what I had to at my job to make money then I locked myself away the rest of the time. That was before somebody encouraged me to take classes at college and work on improving myself.

• I am looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077. Assuming it doesn't get delayed again, it'll come out Dec 10, about a week after my birthday.

• PC Master Race!

• The glorious PC master race. I say as I sit here with my i5-750 from 2009 struggling with 8gigs of ram. I wish zen3 didn't have such a large price hike. Perhaps when(if) the release some non-X skus that will help. Really the 5600X is competing with the 3600 non-X.

• @JasonCuddles - Upgrade the RAM first... that's the cheapest fix.. then save for a new graphics card.

• nah. I know what's up with hardware and what I need. My requirements are atypical and my CPU is easily my weakest part....that and ram. But getting a bunch of expensive DDR3 for a dead end system isn't worth it to me.

• @pmvines Moderation is good. I wouldn't curse the games - as Mike403 said, it could be an addiction problem. Pretty much anything could become a problem if you let it.

• I wanna get the new RTX 3090, but it's $1,500... that is if I can find one that isn't being scalped.

• @Mike403 I've also thought of getting an RTX 3090. The other day I saw that EVGA has a wait list to be notified when one of their cards comes back in stock (you can choose which one), and I heard someone say they have a guaranteed window to let you order one before going to the next person.

It's crazy how fast computers change though. I just built a new PC last year, which supports PCI Express 3.0, and there's a PCI Express 4.0 now that a lot of devices are using. I suppose you can still benefit from a new graphics card, etc..

• edited November 2020

@FlyingToaster - I'd also have to replace my monitors to fully take advantage. I currently have three 1080p monitors configured for NVIDIA Surround.

• edited November 2020

This game based on the Angry Video Game Nerd is awesome. It's out on Switch and PC.

• PC: Turn based (Civ series, Age of Wonders series, old-school Master of Magic), RPG or MMO (Neverwinter, Guild Wars 2, Grim Dawn), or Simulations (Sims series, Minecraft, Stardew Valley).

Xbox: Diablo 3, Dynasty Warriors series

Switch: Breath of the Wild, Link's Adventure, Mario Kart 8

Not enough games, not enough time to play. ;)

• @quixotic_life :

a big ass spider ran over my arm! Big! Like the size of a fricken nickel big!

I used to keep spiders around, to the point they overpopulated in my house and occupied every single corner. I used to think it's worth the hassle, given how many flies we get in September.

I don't really mind them walking over my arm (though it's annoying when falling asleep).

One frakker, however, decided to walk right over my mouth and stopped right on my lips. For, like 10 seconds. That's crossing the boundary to me, so I checked him out.

And I wasn't able to catch him!

I noticed this year that my Husky became really proficient in catching flies. Jumps into the air, and catches it mid-flight. I saw her catch at least 10, once I rewarded her first fly with a cookie.
    Spiders, she just crushes with her paw.

I had no idea when I got my Husky she would prove beneficial in catching mice, spiders and flies !

I have so many games to still play on my PS4 that I can't see myself purchasing the PS5 for at least a year.

It got so ridiculous on my PS4, I can't even be bothered to visit PS Store each month and make two clicks for the free monthly games, which takes, like a minute per month :)